- advertisement -

What has been your....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CamsMom, Sep 23, 2010.

1. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

greatest diabetes blunder?

The school nurse is insisting that Cameron "wear" his BG meter at all times. For a tiny little guy to begin with... this is causing grief. The meter pouches aren't that tiny and they want his lancet, meter, stripes and rescue snack in the pouch. That all being said, I accidently washed Camerons meter the other day. Fortunately, it is a meter that we were just trying out and not "married" to. We will be getting the Ping shortly and the stripes to go with that remote meter. So, this was just a meter with about 10 sample stripes. It got me thinking though, I cant be the only one who has done something stupid when it comes to diabetes.

So lets have a good laugh and share some of our greatest diabetes blunders. At the very least, make me feel better about me recent laundry incident.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

This was in the first few days after coming home from the hospital. Danielle was having a horrible time adjusting to the shots and the whole idea of this lifelong illness. When it was time for the shots she would scream and cry and run around the house refusing.

So it is dinner time and I have to give her 2 shots, Humalog and Lantus. She is laying on her stomach screaming and crying and I am all flustered. I have the two syringes next to me. I pick one up and give it to her. I put it down. I swab the next area and grab a syringe and stick it in.

It was then that I realized I had stuck her with the used empty syringe. So then I had to tell her that she was going to have to get poked a THIRD time because I messed up. She lost it and went hysterically running out of the room. I felt like the lowest form of life on the planet, as well as a horrible parent.

I would say that was one of my worst mistakes......so far....:eek:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  3. shekov

shekov Approved members

Mine is similar to Christopher's.

When we started pumping I was a nervous wreck and so afraid of missing a step in the whole process that I would stop after each step and read the next before proceeding, not trusting myself at all.

Even doing all of that I did a site insertion and went to do a fixed prime only to find I hadn't primed the stupid thing. Had to pull the site out and start over.

I don't even remember dd's reaction but I was so frustrated with myself I began sobbing hysterically. My dh jokingly said he might have to slap me if I didn't get control of myself. At least I think he was joking....;)

4. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

I have two (I blunder more than most). Early on when she started the pump, I stuck the site in but forgot to take the paper backing off the adhesive, so of course we had to take it out and stick it in again. A big deal for my child who hates needles. Also, on the last day of school last year I dropped her off at home with my 13-year-old and forgot that I needed to change her insulin, I got to work and within a half an hour got a call . . . "I'm out of insulin!"

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When new to pumping...

DH gave her a bolus for 12u instead of 12g :p

I did a site change but forgot to peel back the tape from the adhesive and had to stick her again. And then, probably a few weeks later, I did a site change in the middle of the night, didn't remove the old site, next morning disconnected to check for air bubbles, reconnected to the old site, removed the new one:rolleyes: And yet, she still loves us:cool:

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

Probably the worst mistake was when we gave DD 10 units Novolog instead of the Lantus she was supposed to get (just before bedtime). I was up for a good part of that night, feeling like a very lowly life form..

7. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

My two worst blunders was one night giving Kaylee Novalog instead of Lantus ... that was awful .. the panic I felt when I was not 100% sure but when I started testing and she kept falling I felt horrible. Then she always showers at night .. one hectic morning she showered right before school. (This is last year) Her teacher called me since she was over 500. I went to school and was like "Huh?" her remote said the pump was not in range. WEIRD! Well when I checked her site I FORGOT HER PUMP!!!!! Talk about feeling dumb, horrible everything! Luckily it is not far to get home .. grabbed the pump and went back! :eek:

Crystal

8. kjmaf

kjmaf Approved members

Mine was today. We just started pumping on Sunday and our clinical manager at Animas wants us to download our numbers each morning and send to her. I suspended the pump this morning and downloaded the numbers. Somehow I thought I had resumed it, but did not. It did not alarm until she got to school today.

To make matters worse, she had a sub who ignored the alarm all day, did not check her bg, or try to bolus her at snack or lunch time. After-school care caught it when they went to check her bg and saw an error on the remote and called me around 2:45 pm. Luckily, she is not on much insulin yet, so her bg had only gotten up to 349 and not any higher. I have already spoken to the school nurse (who was livid that she was not notified about the sub) and she has worked out a new procedure with the principal.

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

The first week that Ashleigh was diagnosed I dropped her meter in the school's toilet. That was when I was still going into the school to help Ashleigh with her BS checks at lunch time. We were in the nurse's bathroom i grabbed her meter and it just slipped out of my hands and flew into the toilet. Thankfully we live about 1/2 mile from the school so i was able to run home and get a spare meter.

10. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I gave Novolog instead of Lantus. 7 1/2 units of Novolog for a child whose I:C ratio at the time was 1:60.

Fun times. :rolleyes::eek:

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yep, but it was 7 1/2 units of humolog:( It was when we were still using a syringe for humolog and lantus. I am so thankful I realized the mistake. That poor boy had to eat so many glucotabs and candy and juice he started getting a stomach ache:( Thankfully he only dropped to 52 before his BG started climbing again.....of course to high as I had paniced and over did the carbs:rolleyes:

12. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

A day or two after being released from the hospital, I paged the endo in a panic.

I didn't put the cap on the NovoPen Jr.

I also paged her in the middle of the night, because after reading these boards, I learned about Addisons Disease, and took a flashlight and looked at her knees and they looked dark thinking they didn't "find it" when she was dx.

This is why docs should make lots of money, because of people like me!:D

13. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

This is over 10 years & 2 parents...
    1. Gave Humalog instead of NPH @ bedtime while on vacation in Zion. Then fed our 3 year old gold fish until he threw up. He ended up okay.
    2. Did site change in the middle of night when BGs were high. In sleepy state, did not screw resevoir all the way in. It fell out in the morning so screwed it back in & unknowingly delivered about 25 units as sent him to 1st grade. Amazing teacher called us because she knew something was wrong and he ended up okay.
    3. Flushed Guardian receiver down the toilet at Disneyland....I was wearing it and it flipped off my pants & down the toilet as I stood up and the powerful flush took it to the sea.

14. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Right after we started pumping, it was the second or third site change, and Ab was very apprehensive. I was encouraging her reminding her how well everything had been going to calm her down. I put in the site-woohoo! Then I forgot to attach the secondary adhesive and dropped her pump-that ripped her site out,very painful! I felt like the worst mom in the world.

15. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I once forgot to take the needle cover off of an inset before trying to insert it. I felt so horrible. Poor kid, it hurt so bad. It didn't go in, but it left a mark.

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think it was one month into D - I gave 10u instead of 1u to my son. Luckily, DH was watching me like a hawk and unplugged the pump right away and fed DS like crazy. Then we learned you could set a max of bolus allowed.:rolleyes:

17. sage68

sage68 Approved members

I have 2 T1's over here and both are on the Ping. One evening Elly had high BS so I bloused her for that while she slept. Then, when i went back to my room to write down what had done, I realized that Elly's meter was sitting on my vanity and I had Anne's meter in my hand! :eek:I had bolused Anne for Elly's high BS. Luckily, Anne also had high BS and her insulin needs were only .05 less than what Elly needed. I learned that day that these remotes go WAY farther than 10 feet, and can go through 2 walls!

I also have fed Anne dinner and then bloused her for about 2 units worth (quite a bit for a 1 year old) only to THEN look at her CGM and find out that she was already low! That poor child was fed whatever sugar i could find to keep her BS up, and of course in my panic i fed her too much sugar which shot her WAY up and then I was fighting high BS for the rest of the night.:rolleyes:

18. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only who's done things like these! Just a few weeks ago I hand-calculated a square wave bolus, and got the decimal wrong - dosed 6.5 units over 8 hours, instead of .65 unit; this is in a kid whose TDD is 15-20 units. I even had to manually override the maximum bolus we had set on the pump. DH caught the error about 3 hours into the square wave and we got her back on track, but I felt horrible!!

19. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I did this too...but it was with the Quicksets and Isaac said "no hurt." I thought, yes...no prob, then whenI really looked I saw that I hadn't even poked him. no wonder it didn't hurt!

20. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I've done the Humalog instead of Lantus twice. Because screwing up once wasn't bad enough.

But my worst mistake was in August the morning of her last endo appt. I forgot to give her insulin after breakfast, then left the house for our hour long drive to the clinic for her appointment without bringing any insulin and I didn't realize either mistake until we got to her endo's office and she was 445. That was awesome...:rolleyes: