- advertisement -

What happens to nonD people when they eat?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by DsMom, Mar 28, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Reading the thread about T2 got me thinking. I'm not at all well read on physiology, and was wondering...what happens to people who don't have D when they eat lots of sweets/carbs in terms of their BG? How high is it "normal" for them to go if they pig out on say, doughnuts and juice boxes? Do we always stay below 120? Or is it "normal" to go higher after a high carb meal?

Just curious!:)

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've definitely heard of non-D people testing at around 180 after a very high carb meal, and the diagnosis of diabetes is not made unless random BG exceeds 200. Someone posted a while ago CGMS graphs of non-D people, I'll see if I can find them later.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

To be considered non-D
    fasting below 120
    post meal at 1hr below 200
    post meal at 2hrs below 140

SO anytime above 200, would be a DX and if over 140 but below 200 at 2hr then they are glucose imparied.

my MIL has a fasting right around 100 and a post meal around 135.

So a "Normal" person depending on thier body can easily go above 140, but it really is the timing oin how well their body deals with the glucose load and returns to normal BG's.

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I'm curious too about the A1Cs for a non D person. The last post in that T2 topic was about my SIL who seems to be getting different messages from her doctor, or either she or I are misunderstanding not sure. Anyhow she said she's had fasting numbers twice this week at 110, so she was told she is pre T2, she also has neuropathy in her feet. She had an A1C which was 5.3 and she was told that is normal and not in the Diabetic range and she need not worry unless she hits 6.2. So I am wondering what folks posting on here think of that. Is she pre T2 based on neuropathy and 110 fasting BGs? Or is she "normal" based on 5.3 A1C? ETA no I am not asking anyone to diagnose her, just asking if you think that make sense.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well I think that she needs to have a Glucose tolerance test done, to figure out if her blood sugars are going high enough to be cause of the neuropthy. I think it is a a horrible practice to base a DX solely on A1C. I beleive that a fasting of above 100 is considered Pre D in those that still consider that a DX.
    There are other causes of neuropathy and high blodd sugar, Is she on any medications? My mother has both due to poor kidney function and medications, and the kindney function preceeded the neuropathy and higher blood sugars.

I would recomend that she try to see an endo to have the proper testing done to rule out or work on a good care plan in regards to T2. Because it sounds like the Dr. se is going to now Is just waiting for her numbers to increase and DX her and put her on meds.

6. MamaBear

She is seeing an endo who she says is prominent in his field and her mother sees him for her own thyroid issues (her mother is in amazing shape and does not either look like someone who would have health issues). She didn't mention a glucose tolerance test, I'll have to ask about that. She did say that they did her A1C last week because her feet were going numb again, and that she was told that people who are as thin as she is often end up with more complications from T2 than overweight people who are T2. She's been told to watch her diet and exercise 30 minutes per day/ 5 days per week. That sounds to me too like they are just playing the waiting game. I don't know how old her endo is or if he is one of those old schoolers who is set in his old ways of treating or what. But she feels very confident with him. I feel sort of pissed for her in thinking that her being so thin and active, doctors have really missed something very serious.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

well ok it is good that it is an endo, is she seeing someone else about finding out the reasons for the neuropathy? If she is already very active and has hass good diet, then I wouldn't expect her numbers to come done too much unless she starts to restrict carbs and or look at the glycemic index of foods.

Once my MIL started to resrict her carbs to no more than 120 a day she had better numbers, 120 really is not that much and she has to make even better choices everyday. She does so becuase she does not want to take any meds, and for her that is a trade off

8. MamaBear

I don't know if she is seeing another doctor about the other possible causes of neuropathy. I did email to ask if she had the Glucose tolerance test. She answered back that she has not had one since her pregnancy. That was almost 9 years ago.

9. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

They put together a meal that looks good, they eat it anytime they want, then they don't give it a second thought. Must be nice.

10. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

I tested for two days as part of a project in 10th grade (3 years ago). I tested before and after breakfast and dinner (I used the other two strips for testing two different drinks). I want to say that most of the time when I tested after meals, I was somewhere around 107. I think after dinner on one of the days, I was something between 117 and 124. :p But I've heard of people going higher than that after eating.

:cwds:

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Thank you!:)

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

BTW, sort of off topic, but just had the thought that there are many that do know that the are T2

There are thousands of people that are T2 and are only DX when complications are so far along that permenant damage haas been done.

Over the last few years here on this site I have seen 2 moms and 1 dad that eventually got DX T2 with A1C's above 10 I think one was 13ish.

Most of the stories about lossing toes feet or legs, and or dieing from "diabetes", you know those stories that a staranger on the street will blurt out in front of your T1 kiddo. Most are those people unknowingly at first did not heed the signs and symtom of D because they slowly acclimate to the higher BG until they realize that they have not felt top notch for awhile.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

This reminds me that since we now have an extra transmitter and an extra Guardian unit that I should really put a sensor on myself again and post the graphs. I've worn one before, but not for a great length of time. I really need to do that, because I think it would be interesting.

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You know, I have an extra dexcoms. I wonder how my body deals with glucose? it might be a good way to try to get my dd to try the tummy more if "I" have it on me?