- advertisement -

What (exactly) does it feel like...

Discussion in 'Teens' started by WatchingSis, Apr 7, 2006.

1. WatchingSis

WatchingSis Approved members

when you have high blood sugar? How to you react to it/what do you do?

My lil' sis has type 1, and is incredibly stubborn--especially about showing any emotion (other than irritation). While this has helped her overcome getting diabetes, it doesn't help me know what's going on with her.

So, how does high blood sugar (or low, for that matter) effect your mood?

munchkingirl likes this.
  2. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

This is a very wonderful question. Kudos to you for trying to be more understanding to your little sister.

The truth of the matter is (as I am sure you already know) that what it feels like is different for everyone. There are a few common ways that people feel - but otherwise reactions differ.

For me when my blood sugar is high I get very tired, lathargic, I can't think, I have to pee - a lot - , sometimes it's like I can feel all the sugar in my brain that is just "sitting" there being unused and making me feel like crap. When my blood sugar is especially high, or has been high for a long amount of time, I feel very weak, and sometimes feel like just passing out (never have, though) becuase I just feel so badly. I can't concentrate. Finally (after 5 years) people are able to tell when I am high - my boyfriend says that I'm "not all there". I lose my train of thought very easily. I get super spacey. ...the list goes on.

When my blood sugar is low, a lot of the symptoms are very very similar. I get weak, again. But I also get shakey. As much as I hate it - i get an ugent need for food - it's like - I have to eat something NOW. I get VERY irritable when I am low. I feel sooooo bad afterwards - because I snap and am just a total jerk to my loved ones. I hate that SO much.

Hope these help a little bit.

3. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

My symptoms are very similar to Beth's. I am very lethargic, tired, super thirsty, and I am very good friends with the toilet. lol... Anyhow, as for my mood, since I feel so bad, I'm irritable, I totally don't blame your sis for being that way. And I generally want to be left alone. No offense, but I feel like even if I did try and explain what I was feeling to someone, since they are non-D, they really wouldn't understand. A lot of people think they do, but they truely don't. They is absolutely no way to totally understand what a diabetic is feeling, unless you are one. It's awesome that you want to be able to help your sister, and to understand what she's going through. But please understand that there's some things that you just won't, just for the simple fact that you are not a diabetic. It's nothing against you, by any means, just a fact. Hope this is some help to you. How old is your sis?

4. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

haha!:D that's great. Sorry, just had to note that. ....

5. WatchingSis

WatchingSis Approved members

She's just turned 14. She was 13 when she got diagnosed.

And thanks for the input! It helps to know she isn't just being irriable and stubborn because she's a teenager with an attitude. ;)

6. leslie91879

leslie91879 Approved members

depending on how high mine is I can range from hyper (in the 200 range) to having a massive head ache and sick to my stomach (anything over 300)

7. Furry6feline

Furry6feline Guest

Since i have been high ALL THE TIME lately, it makes you easily annoyed and snappy. You get all worked up over the littlest things (like in puberty) and you feel sick and tired*. For me, my arms hurt, but thats just me.

*Running the smallest distance makes you exhausted...
    (400's and 500's)

8. hot_cheerleader_101

hot_cheerleader_101 Approved members

Good Question! High Blood Sugar pretty much makes you INCREDIBLY angry at everythin. You start to want to kill at the slightest irritation. When your low, you feel tired. Sometimes your starved to death, but your really weak and shaky. Both times atleast for me I get irratable. It varies in people though.

9. Future_Star

Future_Star Approved members

me

for me, it feels DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. glucagirl

glucagirl Approved members

actually I agree with future stars summary of it all! :)

11. Future_Star

Future_Star Approved members

Yeah!

Thank You Very Much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!