- advertisement -

what don't they understand?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by kierbabi09, Jul 21, 2008.

1. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

when i was on vacation we went with my grandmom and my grandpop. ok all is going fine. but we had brought a LOT of sweets with us, i don't really know why. and the week beofre we got down there my grandmom bought fudge. well she kept offering it to me. ok well i don't like fudge, in fact i hate it. but all week long she would only offer me food that was like really sweet, and i didn't want to eat any of it cause my suagrs just plain sucked that week...anyways she and my grandpop are both type 2 diabetics....and they were eating horrible....and at one point when i allowed myself a little bag of those "100 calorie shortbread cookies" he was like "oh are you sure you should be eating that?" WHAT? :mad:this is coming from the same man who ate i can't even tell you how many cinnoman buns the entire week....like they just don't seem to understand and it really makes me mad...cause they don't even try....oh well though what can you do? (shrugs)

2. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

That makes me absolutely crazy!! No one ever seems to "get it" or care to even try and get it. It really makes me mad, and a little sad sometimes. :( People really need to learn the difference between type 1, type 2, and MODY, because most people seem to think that they are all the same (type 2). Its extremely frustrating when people say things like "oh, my grandma has diabetes too" or "Why don't you just exercise more, and stop eating so many sweets!"

And as you know, and everyone else here...its totally not like that. Don't people think that if we could just make diabetes go away by changing the way we eat, we would? :confused: I mean...people make me feel like I did it to myself sometimes.

I think we've all been in the same kind of dilema you had with your grandparents at one point or another, and its not fair to you, or anyone else out there living with diabetes.

3. kierbabi09

it just makes me mad because he will eat badly and then when i'm trying really hard to eat good when on vacation he says thinkgs like that...and he eats things like that all the time...its just so frustrating...grrr....and my grandmom too....she just wouldn't take no for an answer...

on a whole different note i was watching the news yesterday and they showed a video and it started out "researchers coming up with a surgery to cure diabetes" :mad: and then they show a really big guy laying on a gurney (sp?) getting ready for surgery....and then the star talking about obesity....yes because see its my fault that i have diabetes when i weighed 98 lbs. at diagnosis ...yeah..right...

4. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

That makes me CRAZY!!! :eek::mad: People need to get the facts right. We are not like type 2's. MODY and Type 1 are totally different from type 2! UGH!! I wish we could just all make a video and send it to all the news people, and reporters, and all of that, so that they know the difference, and they would stop mixing it all up. Maybe one day they'll get it right. *sigh*

Oh yeah...this is crazy...we were both diagnosed at 14, and weighed 98 lbs!!! Lol. I was 720 mg/dL at diagnosis though. :rolleyes:

5. kierbabi09

uhm...yes my diagnosis story is a wee bit different then your's i bet....but i have no clue to be honest what my bg was when i was at the hospital, i wasen't in the hospital
    , but my endo's office is in a children's hospital...

6. singingdiabetic9993

singingdiabetic9993 Approved members

i hate it when im in school and i buy a cookie or something and the LUNCH LADY asks me if its okay for me to have it and when i say yes refuses to let me buy it until the nurse comes and proves it. SOOOO embarrassing:mad:

7. kierbabi09

when me and my best friend go to the mall she likes to go to Cold Stone Creamery...and i might be like can i have a bite? and she'll be like no, you'll slip into a diabetic coma! umm, what?:mad: i know what i can eat thankyou very much! please don't tell me what i can and cannot eat, thats just plain annoying! or if we go out somewhere every 5 minutes its like "are you low, are you low" no i'm not low, if i was i would let you know!!!

8. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I HATE that!!! :mad: My friends do that all the time. Asking me if I eat something if it will kill me...ugh..why would I eat something that could kill me?? :confused: It's pretty annoying, but I guess they're just trying to watch out for us. :cwds:

9. kierbabi09

yeah i can understand that she is watching out for me, but sometimes it's just like "enough already"
    you know what else she does that annoys me? we hang out in the mornings before school in my 1st period classroom because we don't have any classes together (different tracks). so we'll just be hanging out and something we'll get said about something else and then she will loudly announce "oh you can't you're diabetic" in front of people who didn't know that i have diabetes. i don't care that they know, but if i wanted them to know i would've told them myself, ya know? ohhh sometimes she just makes me want to scream:mad:

10. monkey123

monkey123 Approved members

My friends do that all the time. I can understand, because they don't know blah blah blah but do you think i would ask fo it if I couldn't have it?? Once soon after diagnosis I asked for a bit of my friends cookie, and usually she would give me like, half, but she gave me a really little peice. And im like .. Whats with the little piece and shes like You have diabetes!

11. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Oh my gosh...people do that to me too!!! I don't mind it too much, but sometimes I just have those days where I snap, and I'm like "STOP!!!" :mad:

It's weird, because until I came here, I thought I was the only one who had problems like this sometimes with family and friends, and other stuff, ya know. I mean...I have quite a few friends with type 1, but CWD just...idk, lol. I LOVE IT HERE!! :) Its different, and it has really helped me a lot.

12. kierbabi09

oh i know what you mean!!! you can come here for just about anything...if your happy, mad, if you have a problem, etc...it's just really good knowing that you are not alone and that you have people that understand...cause everyone here "gets it"...and that is nice to know :)

13. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Yeah! Thats exactly what I mean, lol. I know that I can always talk to my best friend Liz, though. She has had diabetes since she was 9 (we're the same age) and she is always willing to help me get through a tough time, but like when she doesnt feel like talking about it, or she's not around (like now...shes at NEJEDA, a D camp for the entire summer!), I always can come here, and I always have someone to talk to...I couldnt ask for more. And ya know, sometimes I feel bad about talking in person about it to her, ya know. If I'm down, I dont wanna bring anyone else down with me!! This place is the bestest!! LOL! :)

14. happy:)

happy:) Approved members

i know how you all feel about the "they just don't get it"
    i go over to my neighbors house to play cuz she's the age right between me and my sister so we both go together. i dont have juvinal diabets but my sister does and it is REALLY annoying when my neighbor's mom turn to me and say "can she have this?" and ill be like "yeah, she can have what ever she wants, she just has to bolus" and the brother will offer us lemonade and give my sister water because "we don't have sugar free lemonade so i got you water" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just want to scream to their faces and say " OMG!!!! how do you think it makes her feel when you just ask can she have it? and yes she can have it for the milliounth time!!!!" (i think they ask me because my sister is really shy and im less shy) that makes her feel bad im sure because then she'll have this really sad face on for an hour or sumthing like that. all of these things and more make me soooooooo MAD!!!!!!!!! i have to explain over and over that she can have what ever she wants she just has to bolus or she has to have something now her number is low. i dont mind telling people but it gets on my nerves that they don't get it. people are soooooo uneducated and its really annoying.:mad:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008