- advertisement -

What does your kiddo say??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kellykate, May 13, 2012.

1. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

My recently diagnosed 2-year old daughter appears to not have symptoms when she is high or low. We had one scary low (37) and she kept asking to eat and eat and eat. But besides that it is really hard to tell. For those of you who have kiddos who can explain how they feel --how do they describe feeling high and low. I want to help make her feel comfortable during those times but I have no idea what it feels like --frustrating for mama! Thanks!

2. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

I don't remember exactly how old she was but when Lilly started to verbalize how she felt when she was low she said she felt "ooey & gooey" :D

3. manda81

manda81 Approved members

My son was dx at 2 as well, and didn't verbalize lows at all until he was around 4, and not consistently until he was almost 6. He does not know highs still, and he is 7.

He has always said he was weak or shakey, or that his legs felt funny. For highs, we can usually tell just because he's SUPER cranky.

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

You've got one of the most important lessons I think you can learn in diabetes -- never ignore a diabetic who says she is hungry. Now, we try not to overreact and assume, and we always say "maybe you're just hungry, which is fine, too, we'll get you something to eat, but let's see if you're low." If Selah, at that age, said she was hungry and if her face looked low (you'll learn the look, for Selah it was pale with dark circles under her eyes) and particularly if she said she was sleepy, we fed her first and tested after she was chewing!

To this day, Selah will not tell me she's low. She tells me she's hungry. It works!

As for comfort for how they are feeling, you'll get good answers here, the hardest thing is that if you overtreat a low you'll drive a high, but it takes time for glucose to get fully "in", so what you will find is that even after she gets enough glucose to treat the low she has a time when she is still hungry, and it's not a fun hungry, it's a panic-response almost at times. Her body isn't just feeling a little like a bit of something, it thinks it's in danger. So having some free foods that won't slow down the digesting carbs to gnaw on can help, or a plan to go ahead and let her "overtreat" but then cover the extra with insulin once she is firmly out of danger of a low.

Best to you, first months are a bachelor of science's worth of education, looks like you're making good time!:cwds:

5. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

When my dd is low she feels shaky, weak, and hungry. When she is high she gets thirsty and a headache. Once when she was low she was sitting in the floor and could not stop laughing, for no apparent reason, kinda acted like she was drunk. But high is always a crappy feeling.

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

When Rachel was very small she used to come to me with her finger held out...:(
    She now says she has a 'tummy feeling' which she can't really describe.

Rachel has always said that she can't feel if she is high, BUT she usually asks for a drink of milk which she doesn't like otherwise. I think the taste of nice cold milk is very thirst quenching but its not good if she is already high.. :cwds:

7. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

My son notices his lows, and will say "I feel low". But sometimes when he doesn't, he is starving. When he feels like he could eat a whole grocery store, we test for lows. When he's high, he's cranky/defiant/disobedient/disruptive/rude. When he's not a polite young man, we ask him to test to see if he's high.

8. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

My ten yr old describes lows as starting in his stomach, almost hollow feeling, then weak legs. Sometimes I notice shaky hands. Occasionally he will feel light headed.

9. Jenneve93

Jenneve93 Approved members

My ds (12) says he feels shaky, sometimes upset stomach, and occassionally his eyes get "weird" when he's low. He has a harder time feeling the highs, but I've noticed he tends to have a bad attitude when he's high. He also gets really thirsty sometimes if he gets very high, like over 300, which doesn't really happen often.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My dd says that everything tastes better when she's low. :cwds:

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son was dx'd just shy of his 8th birthday. From the very beginning, he would say (and still does say) he feels "funny". The one very important thing I learned early on is to trust him when he says that. Even if the meter says he's in range, we have found that he was dropping and that's why he was feeling "funny". And hungry -- YES, he is always hungry when low!!

His explanation of "funny" is feeling shaky and "just not right".

12. Jenneve93

Jenneve93 Approved members

I ditto this. There have been several times when Jack has said he feels low & the meter says he's in range, but we treat anyway because he's dropping. He knows how he feels, so I trust him and go with it. We've never gone wrong trusting his feelings.

13. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Charlie didn't really start voicing lows until preschool and has just gotten really good at voicing lows this year (1st grade). He used to say he feels icky. Now he just says he feels low.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter(diagnosed age 4) would say she felt tired or shaky. We were lucky because she would get this odd look and color on her face, so we and those around her would always stop and ask how she felt or would just test her.

In addition to those symptoms she now gets headaches and sweats. We actually had a problem where she was going through a period of being low a lot, too the point she wasn't feeling lows. We are having to retrain her and her body to feel her lows now.

15. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

When Connor was 5, he didn't say "I'm low", but his symptoms were fairly obvious. I described how he looked when he was low as looking like a melting snowman. His face would turn very pale and white and he'd melt to the floor or put his head down on his arms when he was low.

16. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Meredith was 2 at diagnosis. At about 3 she started noticing lows. She says she feels shakey. She is right about 95% of the time she tells me she feels low. Before she could tell me, and I would test and find out she was low, I would ask her how her body felt. I wanted her to associate that "low" feeling with being low. The first time she told me, I cried.

As for highs, she usually doesn't recognize them. I notice she is thirsty or crabby, or she says she doesn't feel good.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

For lows, Jack says he feels weak or hungry. But he is 8, and just in the past year he has started catching fast drops. He doesn't feel slow drops at all.

He doesn't feel highs.

18. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

When my son is low he says he feels hungry. He also becomes nervous and obnoxious, and sometimes, but rarely, aggressive. When he's high, then he becomed whiny and acts in slow-motion.

19. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

It takes them some time to recognize highs and lows. I would think longer for the younger ones. My dd was five and a half and it took a few months I think. For her she always says she feels shaky. Sometimes she will also feel headachy and nauseous and for some reason when that happens it takes her longer to notice.

One thing I've heard is when you check and see that they are low to ask them how they feel at that moment.

20. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Caroline was diagnosed last year at 5. She didn't feel most of her lows but when she did she would say her legs were tired or her belly hurt.