- advertisement -

What does your family eat?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Trev, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Trev

Trev Approved members

2. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

We try to eat as healthy as possible but since my husband has been unemployed for over a year we eat what we can afford. Which is not always the way I would want to feed my family but you do what you have to do.

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Just what I call normal now.one kid vegetarian.other was vegan but now she will eat some meats.lots of salads.lean meats.fruits.splenda .i don't know how to fry thing s.whole grains.
    J theust normal stuff

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we dont' stick to a specific "diet". Here's an example of what Ashleigh ate yesterday:

breakfast: mini blueberry muffins and a glass of white milk
    Snack (at school) : 100 calorie snack (i forget which one she grabbed)
    Lunch: deer summer sausage (3 slices), grapes, 2 girl scout cookies, flavored water drink
    Snack (after school): whip cream with crushed vanilla wafers and glass of grape juice
    Supper: Spaghetti and garlic bread
    Snack: Deer summer sausage.

5. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

A typical week for us consists of me cooking or preparing most all our meals: dinner consists of meat, such as pork chops, a carb either mashed potatoes, rice or pasta, and a vegetable like canned green beans or fresh broccoli. I cook with butter and salt (gasp!) but I don't go overboard, just use them enough to have it taste good. We all eat healthy portions so I feel like using butter is safe ("everything is ok in moderation" is the quote we live by). Lunch on the weekends is usually ham and cheese sandwiches or chicken or egg salad with real mayo, chips and fruit for the sides. Snacks for the kids consists of either apples and cheese sticks, graham crackers w peanut butter. Things like Oreos, cake and ice cream are bought on occason, meaning every few weeks or so, then they don't feel "deprived". Special occasions like birthday parties, etc they are allowed to eat however much they want. We don't do low carb in our family--we all like our carbs especially myself, so we just eat them in moderation like everything else. I think we eat healthier than a lot of American families since I do cook and we eat at home 90% of the time but I always feel like we could eat healthier.

6. lhazc

lhazc Approved members

We pick whole grains (have for years, before D) and skim milk. currently still cook white rice vs brown rice, but I am trying to mix them some to get everyone used to the brown.
    breakfasts include smoothies (plain nonfat yogurt, skim milk, frozen fruit and splenda or honey) muffins, toast with cooked egg and cheese sometimes turkey (or pork) sausage. cereal ( high fiber...type) sometimes pancakes or french toast with low sugar syrup and on occ. choc gravy and biscuits. Yum trying to break away from sugary cereals.
    lunches are wraps, pizza, soup and grilled cheeses, fruit, pasta salad ect..
    our suppers are fairly carb heavy things like pasta/w meat sauce, toast and salad, chicken w rice, beef & noodles, tacos w beans & rice, chili
    I rarely make dessert, I keep apples, peanut butter, carrot sticks, ramen noodles and cheese for snacking. mostly drink milk, water or tea.
    We don't eat fish much at all. We eat lots of taters ( mashed, roasted..)

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Celiac affects what we eat far more than diabetes. And I'm the only one with celiac...but I'm the only one who cooks too. We rarely ever go out to eat because I have a hard time finding GF foods at restaurants unless I thoroughly research it ahead of time.

My kids eat gluten for their breakfasts and lunches, but dinners are always gluten free (which means not processed and made from scratch). I spend a lot of time baking snacks/food from scratch and prepping fruit/veggies so they can be readily accessible/eaten.

Gatorade is consumed in large quantities for exercise by my T1 son.

My other son is a competitive gymnast and he drinks protein powder shakes on workout nights.

I try to balance our meals carb, fruit, veggie, protein. But my kids do have ice cream for a bedtime snack every night and in their eyes that bedtime snack is the most important meal of the day!

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I eat vegetarian, whole grains when I can. Mostly a fairly normal diet. Lots of pasta and rice, as my sister eats pretty much nothing else, and lots of fruit for snacks when I can.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Can I ask that you copy and paste your post here so I don't have to go hunt it down? Honestly, I hate to be rude, but if you want me to respond to something, please ask it here on the forum, don't make me go to another website, read a blog, and then come back here and answer.

It just seems like you are advertising your blog, all the time...with almost every post. If I want to read your blog, I will subscribe. If I want to have a conversation about T1, then I come here to have it. I don't come here to be redirected to every users blog.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I concur with this, I really enjoy reading what you have to say but I leave feeling a bit...used...sometimes, like you start topics to increase traffic on your blog. If that's not the case and you are really wanting solid conversation (which your topics do generate, I am not at all putting down what you have to say, I always enjoy your posts and your blog) then cut/paste your blog entry and have a link if anyone chooses to go there directly.

I find your topics interesting and your viewpoint valueable. But I don't like the feeling of being a pawn in a numbers game to increase traffic. If that's not your purpose, my apologies, but it does appear to be so in the way you have brought up topics.

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

As a family we have a variety of choices, but I am a big believer in eating lots of low GI foods so try to always add that to the mix, even if it's just tossing in flax seed in with pancakes or substituting whole wheat flour in a recipe.

As an example they had pancakes this morning, I added in a handful of flax, a banana, some walnuts, dried apples, and some chocolate chips. Enough of what they like (chocolate!) and enough of what their body needs to satisfy.

My son chooses low carb for much of his meals, but then will pig out on chips, so it's not like something that is done TO him, he likes how he feels when low carb so he'll skip the bread or eat extra salad or whatever. His choices for meals usually includes a carb option which he often skips. I tend to have a main dish (we eat lots of soups), a salad or veggie, and a home baked bread, we don't eat a lot of white potatoes or pasta, never white rice.

I don't buy chips or sodas or candy, never have. Well, never say never, of course I do for treats and parties and just plain fun, but it's unusual. I also don't buy fast food very often, and generally sweets are homemade and a bit more wholesome than store bought cookies.

We don't follow any diet, just try to eat as well as we can in a busy life. When I need to lose weight (like now!) I choose a whole foods type diet, avoid white flour and sugar, eating lots of legumes and lean meats, whole grains like quinoa or couscous, brown rice, fruits, veggies (for any old Weight Watcher fans, I LOVED the Core program when it was around and still follow it when I need to lose weight).

You mentioned in your blog that you hadn't explored the GI index, or at least weren't including it in your ponderings..if you want an opinion, I personally believe low GI is the key.

12. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

My daughter was dx this time last year. I can say that I really haven't changed much - though I do try to serve pasta less only because it takes so much work afterward to get the numbers back in range.
    I am a vegan and do not cook meat at home. My family will occasionally eat meat when they go out to a restaurant but they really don't have a taste for it. So our meals consist of a lot of rice, grains, beans, some pasta, tofu, veggies. I do a lot of soups - which are easy because I can put a lot of healthy stuff in one pot and they will eat it!
    I do notice if my daughter eats meat if she is at a restaurant, it is a blood sugar nightmare about 6 hours after! She has gone up in the 300s in the middle of the night from the fat spike later.
    Luckily with the beans and grains, the blood sugar stays pretty good.
    Other than that, I serve regular food. My daughter can eat whatever she ate before D.

13. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Home cooked meals from scratch, my junk food is Black Rice Sushi. We were never allowed "Fast" foods as kids, and I've never been tempted to eat processed foods of any kind, except the odd subway wrap when travelling

14. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

My son usually eats out because he's on various athletic teams and it's just one of the things they tend to do. So his diet is basically awful, though showing a solid mix of Taco Bell, Arby's, McDonald's, Subway with the occasional restaurant sit down meal, and once in a while Wendy's or Burger King. Oh, and throw in the really healthy school lunch 5X a week.

So, I guess a fairly typical teenager with wheels diet.

The rest of us fend for ourselves.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I must admit to feeling the same.

16. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

another vegan here. meat/dairy fat complete nightmare later on. At school or at other peoples homes I let him eat what they serve, he's already a bit different for having diabetes and it makes for awkward conversation when you bring up the vegan thing, because people are selfish and automatically think I'm judging them:rolleyes: I'm too busy taking care of diabetes lol.
    We also have lots of soups, chili, for quick meals-gardein strips, mexican food, thai food, indian food, and pasta. I did this originally for my health but it's good for the whole family and cheaper!

17. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Amazing isn't it? You mention you are vegetarian/vegan and people automatically go on the defensive and get angry about what you aren't eating! I have been doing battle with my mother in law for almost 16 years now over this! She has started to back down a bit now that she sees I haven't shriveled up and died *yet* ;)

18. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

I am glad to see another typical teen diet..this is very similar to Daniel's with the exception that he works at Whitt's BbQ so he eats there quite a bit since he gets a free meal on days he works.

19. joan

joan Approved members

I love it, the teen with wheels diet. I got a text at noon, "don't cook " "I am going out" Let me guess, pizza, five guys , friday's or Wendy's.

20. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

haha, reminds me of this http://vegansaurus.com/post/254784826/defensive-omnivore-bingo which if you post on facebook will offend a lot of people lmao