- advertisement -

what does your 504 look like for a high school student?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2here, Jul 22, 2012.

1. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

We have not needed a 504 during our three years of middle school since we departed he** and moved on to a sane, accepting environment. We have really enjoyed this middle school and the willingness of staff to just work with diabetes when those challenges come about, rather than discriminate (as was the case with the previous school).

Now, it is time for high school. The high school is housed in the same building as the middle school however, it is a different entity with all staff different with the exception of the school nurse (who is shared between the two schools) and the band director (who has been perfectly fine during middle school).

Now we wonder, do we need a 504? I would welcome all opinions and any insights into what you feel is critical for inclusion in a 504 of a high school student. I am very familiar with what was important for the lower grades but haven't seen as much tailored to the high school student.

Thanks!

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Without a 504 you cannot get any extended time on SAT,ACT, or mandated pass to graduate tests. If your child gets test anxiety or needs to test BG during testing he would not have stop clock testing or extended time to test and treat on those long tests. Otherwise my daughter's 504 is just to make sure all teachers have a written reminder that they can also leave for a subsitute teacher this way the written record helps everyone stay on the same page.

By the way at 14 our school gave the PSAT the practice round. She did not have accommodations and did horrible because she went high and could not treat. This worked for our advantage though as those results with the accommodation times test results showed she needed the accommodation for SAT and ACT. By the way without accommodations a pump could be disallowed into testing rooms. I administer and the directions are no electronic devices without approval. This may not happen but per the direction a stickler could say no.

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

IMO, a 504 is a must have for high school, and best to have it in place before you need it, even if no need is anticipated.

- testing: time accommodations and BG upper and lower limits
    - D related absences or missed instructional time, as regards make-up work and/or attendance sanctions
    - accommodations for late work due to D (e.g., could not finish an overnight assignment due to persistent low or high BG)
    - permission to use cell phone for D related parental contact
    - extracurricular activities

These were some items addressed by T's high school 504. Of course, PSAT/SAT/ACT etc. must be addressed with the testing services, with plenty of lead time.

Any standing 504 can be tweaked at any time by request. Changes need not wait for the annual review. On at least one occasion, T's 504 needed a tweak the day after the annual review.

If you have a 504 and never use it, it's WAY better than not having one and having an unanticipated need.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

For PSAT and SAT you have to go through the College Board though, your school alone can't approve accommodations I don't believe.

5. momof2here

thanks...

Thanks so much for these responses. I do dread requesting a 504 since we had such a beyond awful experience before. I guess I will just have to do this.

As for the statement that the school alone does not provide for accommodations, the college board would need to - since I am not familiar with this process, could you elaborate on that? Who is 'the college board' is this something that is addressed when filling out SAT paperwork (in that it provides names and numbers in order to convey your requests?)

Has anyone been through that before?

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If you search , "college board" you will see a bunch of threads on this issue.

7. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

The College Board is the testing company that produces the PSAT and SAT tests. You can find informatin about accomodations on the website www.collegeboard.com. You must apply and be approved for accomodations well in advance of the testing. Having a 504 will make the accomodation process easier but it is possible to be approved without a 504.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It is a little easier if the accommodations are in place at school prior to requesting them from the College Board. The counselor does the requesting.

This was my son's plan a couple of years ago:

Requirements for John Doe
    for school year beginning August 18, 2010 and ending May 27, 2011

1. Describe the basis for the determination of disability:

Type 1 Diabetes, as diagnosed by a physician, is a physiological disorder that affects the endocrine system.

2. Describe how the disability affects a major life activity:

Type 1 Diabetes or Insulin Dependant Diabetes places the individual at risk for hypoglycemic and hyperglycemic episodes related to metabolic dysfunction. Potential fluctuations in blood glucose impact the individual?s major life activities in the area of learning, which is one of the specific major life activities described in Section 504.

3. Describe the accommodations that are necessary:

1. John shall be permitted to use the bathroom without restriction.
    2. John shall be permitted to have immediate access to water, including keeping a water bottle in his possession and be allowed to use the drinking fountain without restriction.
    3. John shall be permitted to store extra snacks in his back pack and foods containing carbohydrates in the office.
    4. John shall be permitted to leave class to the office for diabetes related issues which may include contacting his parents.
    5. John shall have immediate access to blood glucose testing equipment (meter, strips, lancet device), glucose tabs, and his insulin pump and shall be permitted to carry this equipment with him at all times.
    6. Blood glucose tests may be done at any location in school, including, but not limited to the classroom, the cafeteria, or sites of extracurricular activities.
    7. John can use his pump or injection to deliver insulin at any location in the school.
    8. If John is affected by high or low blood glucose, he shall be allowed to treat as necessary which includes eating glucose tabs or drink a juice for a low and administering insulin with his pump for a high blood sugar at any location in the school.
    9. John will be permitted to participate in all field trips and extracurricular activities (such as sports, clubs and enrichment programs) without restriction and with all of the accommodations and modifications set out in this plan.
    10. If John's blood glucose measures as high (above 350) or low (below 60) at the time of regular or standardized testing, he will be permitted to take the test at another time without penalty.
    11. If John needs to take breaks to use the water fountain or bathroom, do a blood glucose test, or to treat hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia during a test or a in-class assignment, he will be given extra time to finish the test or assignment without penalty.
    12. John will not be penalized for absences or tardiness required for medical appointments, illness, visits to the office, or time necessary to maintain blood glucose control.

4. Goals and objectives of the program:

Both high blood sugar levels and low blood sugar levels affect John?s ability to learn and perform, as well as seriously endangering his health. Blood glucose levels must be maintained in the 80-180 range for optimal learning and testing of academic skills. John has a recognized disability, Type 1 Diabetes, that requires the accommodations and modifications set out in this plan to ensure that he has the same opportunities and conditions for learning and academic testing as classmates, with minimal disruption of his regular school schedule and with minimal time away from the classroom. Steps to prevent hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia, and to treat these conditions if they occur must be taken in accordance with this Plan, and with the attached Medical Information form, which has been provided by his parents to the school principal. These documents and appropriate procedures have been discussed and agreed upon in a conference between John?s parents and the principal.
    This Plan shall be reviewed and amended at the beginning of each school year or more often if necessary.

Approved and received:

Approved and received:

9. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I am aware that SAT is approved by the college boards, but the school must provide documentation that accomidations are used and must submit a copy of 504 or IDEA. They are the ones who also start the process at least that was my understanding. It also took 2 tries to get it through and over a year. I started ninth grade to get the school to do it - they kept saying we have time. We missed PSAT deadline for tenth grade - bad school experience. Finally got new school personal on the case and we were approved. Late spring of tenth grade. She will have accomidations just in case for scholarship PSAT and SAT through high school. ACT Paperwork is first thing this fall. Just don't fret sounds like you have an awesome school who will work for you and your son. I am only sharing my experience is you need to be proactive and go to the test websites get the information so you can cover him. You never know how your child will handle the tests inside. I hope this helps you put what you already have verbally into writing.

10. momof2here

awesome info

Thanks also for the great info pertaining to the college board and all other info - I really appreciate these responses! :)

I always feel more ready to approach the situation thanks to you all, it is such great support during times of need!

11. momof2here

Thanks so much Amy ;)

12. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I should say that even though we obtained the Stop the Clock accommodations for the College Board tests (SAT/AP), my son ended up not liking them. He was put in a room by himself. He was never out of range during the tests -- we had figured out the basals by then and which breakfast was the best for testing. The stop-the-clock accommodation didn't seem necessary.

For the last set of AP 4 tests, he was allowed to test and treat during the tests, but the clock did not stop if he chose to do this. It worked out just fine. He tested mostly at breaks and once in the middle of the calculus test and was in range at all times.

He didn't use any accommodations during the ACT at all and it turned out well too.