- advertisement -

What do your boys carry supplies in?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Mar 25, 2010.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'm struggling a bit with getting my son to carry anything but the essentials, he shoves a few syringes, some skittles, and his novolog into his pocket and then will grab the meter, that's it. He leaves it to me to lug around the extras (more food, glucagon, etc), meaning if I'm not around neither is the emergency stuff. This weekend he went roping and did take the whole bag, but I imagine he left it in the vehicle!

I'm also concerned with heat in Texas, how do you all keep things cool in the summer? Right now I've left stuff like some juice boxes, a box of granola bars, in my car, but it'll be way into the 100's inside a car before too much longer so I suppose I should take those out!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie, who isn't a girlie girl, has found "cool" bags at the army navy store. Including a "medic" bag that she used quite a lot ( she changes bags all the time).

Obviously it doesn't get "Texas hot" here, but I keep a lot of those tiny cooler things (more like ice cubes, really) and a handful of those thrown a ziplock bag might help for short trips.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Depending on the situation, my son uses a fanny pack with his meter,juice,glucose tablets,glucogon, and epipen inside. Yes it all fits there is even a liquid glucose drink. It is very packed though. Other times he uses a sling turbo backpack we got from LLBean. Kind of lind back pack but much smaller and one sling. I don't think they sell them anymore though.

4. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

my son uses a black sling pack that fits right at the small of his back. It's small enough to not be really noticable but large enough to fit the essentials.

5. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

My son usually takes about what yours does in his pockets: meter case, glucose tabs, and he has a pump. I think it's the reality of teenage boy minimalism. He has an extra set in his locker at school, and food in his backpack and stashed in both cars. If he's setting out for longer he'll find a place for his pens and a granola bar or 2.

We too are looking for a smaller something for when he's on his own next year -- he'll need to carry more back up supplies then.

He has never carried glucagon with him -- nobody knows how to use it, at school they won't, paramedics don't (they run a glucose IV line) and he won't be able to give it to himself.

6. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

A role of GlucoTabs in 1 pocket, cell phone in another pocket and the test kit velcro strap through a belt loop. He wears a pump so does not have to carry pens.

7. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

We went to the camera/cell-phone department at Target and found the perfect case - meant for a camera, apparently. It slides right onto his belt and closes with a really strong clip and there is a front zipper portion that holds alcohol swabs, lancet barrels, and a strip vile. The main portion holds his pdm, pricker and a roll of glucose tabs. At the bottom of the main compartment there is room for batteries! It all slides on nicely! It is by 'case logic'.

8. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

My son Derek, 9 almost 10, carries his meter, a black diabetes pouch with both his humalog pen and lantus vial in along with extra needles and syringes, he shoves a pack of crackers and small juice in, his glucagon, and a few slim jims just encase he has the urge for a carb free snack! He puts all these items in his Type 1 diabetes sling bag he received at our first Walk for the Cure(this past year). He wants everyone to know he has it! He thinks carrying the bag says alot about him and will make someone out there aware of what he has and maybe help if he needs it! He has embraced this disease and vows to share it where ever he goes!!!

9. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Ryan, who is 13, does one of 2 things...if he is wearing a jacket then he shoves a test kit and glucose tabs in the pockets. If not, he has a small sling back bag that he puts his stuff in.

10. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Campbell carries his test kit, pens, cell, glucose tabs & granola bar (or the like) in a fanny pack. It also has two outside mesh pockets & he usually has a drink bottle in one.
    It is getting pretty ragged, though, so I'd be interested in anybody's suggestions on a new bag.

11. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Jordan was a teen when diagnosed, and transitioning into D life can be a bit challenging when it is not "normal" for them. He uses a back sack. Or at least that's what we call it.
    It's one of those bags that has drawstrings that is worn like a back pack, but is much smaller. He's 15 and has no issues with it, and trust me - It carries a lot in it! He could easily carry everything he needs for his D care, along with snacks, water bottle, etc.
    Good Luck!