- advertisement -

what do you use to treat your lows?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by kierbabi09, Aug 23, 2008.

1. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

it all depends pn where i am and what my blood sugars are, obviuosly. If i'm at school and i have a while before lunch, i use soda, mostly coca cola or iced tea. if i have a short time until lunch, i use glucose tabs. When I'm out somewhere i use glucose tabs or soda and then i eat a small snack. at home either soda, milk, at night i use seasme street juic boxes :D, and then some kind of small snack.
    this is sorta related...there was one time last year when we were coming home from the pumkin patch and going to visist with an old neighbor. i was so tired, couldn;t keep my eyes open. for some reason i decided to check and i was 52. had nothing on me. it was about 15 minutes later before i was able to get some soda but soda brings me up pretty instantly . that was the only low i have never felt!!!!

2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I'll use anything that I can find. Glucose tabs, at school I'm using mini airheads, sometimes orange juice. I can't use soda. Regular soda has absolutely no effect on me, it's kinda weird. The only time I don't notice lows is at school, and by the time I realize I feel weird I'm usually in the 40's. This year I'm going to try to remember that when I talk a lot, I a pretty quiet person in class, I'm probably low.

3. kierbabi09

i'm kinda like that too. one time i was low (50) and decided to make peanut butter and jelly toast:eek: who knows what i was when i started to eat it!!! i guess when you are low you don't have the ability to think clearly.
    i definitely feel my lows, especially in school.

4. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

AT home I have a pretty sweet fave :)
    250 ml or 1 cup of iceing sugar (confectioner sugar)
    250 ml or 1 cup of peanut butter
    75 ml or 1/3 cup of butter(or margerine)
    1 L or 4 cups of rice chrispees.
    Blend it all together stick in it a bag in the fridge works like a charm.

However basics glucose tabs, juice etc. Not very creative!

5. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I have always used those little juicy juice boxes since diagnosis. But recently I have started to use glucose tabs too. My favorites are the fruit punch kind by ReliOn. :) If I'm really low I prefer juice over anything because it brings me up the fastest...sometimes. :rolleyes: Soda never moves me fast enough. I tried it once when I was in the 50's, and it took me 1/2 an hour to get to 70! :eek:

6. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I almost never feel my lows in school. It's kind of weird. :confused::eek:

7. kierbabi09

my lows always feel worse in school. i don't really know why!!! and my favorite glucose are the relion's and the CVS brand, but the green apple flavor.

8. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Quick Carbs
    -glucose tabs
    -sesame street juice boxes :D
    -skittles
    -sweet tarts squeez
    -chocolate milk
    -soda if I'm desperate
    Protein for after a low low or if there is a long time before my next meal
    -pb crackers
    -string cheese
    -peanuts
    -ice cream
    -milk

9. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

10. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

everything feels worse in school!! haha. :p:D:cool:

11. kierbabi09

don;t i know it. and the high' are even worse when i'm in school. i get really light headed, i will sweat really badly :eek:(only in school, idk why) and just feel horrible. sometimes i wouls sit in class and think :it's not fair. they don't have to worry about weather they are high or low" but i try not to dwell on it too much...there is nothing i can do about having D.

12. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

AWE!!! I wonder why it only happens in school? :confused:

13. kierbabi09

who knows? when i'm in school most of the time i run high. it is weird. i've had some of my highest high's in school.

14. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

me too! i think its nerves and stress related highs though. especially on test days and everything...i shoot waaay up and it makes everything so difficult! :mad::rolleyes::(

15. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I use sesame street juices, watermelon glucose tabs, and fruit roll ups. BTW, you aren't supposed to use chocolate milk cuz the fat makes it raise your bg slower.

16. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

It works wonders on my bg. If I'm having long lows, I drink choc milk, and my bg comes up wonderfully. I only use it when I'm in a "func" and will not come up no matter what/how much I eat.

17. kierbabi09

i actually heard that. you aren';t supposed to use ANYTHING chocolate because of the fat

18. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

hey..whatever works, right? :):p:cool:

19. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Yeah. I tried chocholate milk once and it felt like hours before it helped but if it works for you, you might as well!

20. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

Am I the only one who can't choke down glucose tabs? They are so dry they get stuck in my throat.