- advertisement -

What do you think will happen

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bbirdnuts@aol.com, Jan 27, 2010.

1. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

What do you think will happen with a lunch of 1 cup cantaloupe, 1cup pumpkin, 2tsp. brown sugar, 1 granny smith apple w/o peel, weight 154 grams, 2 juice boxes 28 carbs. Starting blood sugar 110 and on Novolog. Should this food be spread out over 45 mins to 1 hour or all eaten in 15 mins. What would you do?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

what is the total amount of carbs?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  3. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Total carbs are 74 with a 12 carb ratio.

4. Christopher

Also, why does she have to eat it in 15 min?

5. Christopher

With a 1:12 ratio that would be 6 units of insulin (74 divided by 12 = 6.1). I guess all things being equal I would give the 6 units, wait 10-15 minutes and let her eat the food as she normally would. Nice starting bg, by the way...:D

6. Toni

Toni Banned

Unless they are the diet variety, I think there might be a problem with the two juiceboxes. Even one can spike BS because juice is very fast, but two. Everything eaten is very healthy, though.:)

7. bbirdnuts@aol.com

She does not have to eat it all in 15 mins. She can prebolus or she can start eating immediately. She can eat all of the food in 15 mins or she can spread it out. I am wondering how it will be best to keep her blood sugar from spiking and to prevent her from going low. This is all sugar with a little fiber.

8. lynn

lynn Approved members

That would be a dream lunch for Nathan!!!

It would also be a lunch that would send him low if I gave him all of the insulin

9. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Most of her meals would normally include meat, cheese, and bread. She is only having fruit.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think, especially with two juice boxes, that the food may work faster than the insulin, leading to a big spike first, and a low later. But it's different for every kid - we only use juice to treat lows, so I'm not an expert on dosing for it.

11. bbirdnuts@aol.com

If I could see these days numbers through the night I might be able to get some sleep. Carolina actually took 5.75 units of Novolog because of the blood sugar negative correction factor. I really believe she will go low, but not sure.

12. Christopher

If you are worried about her going low, split the insulin dose or as I suggested, pre-bolus. And check her an hour or so after eating....

What is the blood sugar negative correction factor??

13. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Carolina's blood sugar goal is 120. She was below 120 when she checked her blood sugar for lunch and I deduct insulin for any number below 120 and I add insulin for any number above 120.

14. Christopher

Interesting, and what calculation do you use to deduct/add insulin?

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

If she eats the stuff in the "most to digest" to "least to digest" order (I'd say apple, pumpkin, cantaloupe, juice), it may be ok with a full bolus upfront.

16. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Carolina's correction factor is 50. What I do is take her blood sugar goal 120 and subtract 101 and that equals 19, then I divide by her correction factor of 50 and get a neg. .38. I figure her I:C and deduct .38. I have always corrected that way. The pump does it automatically if it is set up to do so, but I corrected that way on MDI too.

17. Christopher

Thanks for sharing that...:cwds:

18. bbirdnuts@aol.com

StillMamamia that is exactally the order in which she ate her lunch. She is now at 1 hour 16 mins. post lunch and her blood sugar is 123. I am having to give uncovered carbs because Novolog has a long time to go. I have asked her to eat/drink a little here and there. Will recheck blood sugar in 30-45 mins.

19. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Could not wait to check blood sugar because of the way Carolina was feeling. She is now 1 1/2 hours post meal and her blood sugar is 75. :eek: Guess I know what I'm for during the next few hours or three.

20. Christopher

Does she consistently go low at lunch? Maybe she needs a higher lunch time ratio? Like 1:14 or more.