- advertisement -

What do you think? Pizza for Insulin Overdose?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Dec 3, 2013.

1. sooz

sooz Approved members

A Facebook group I belong to had a post where a friend had taken a huge overdose of Humalog by mistake.

"She took...and I quote " took 28+12 of humolog by accident when I was only suppose to take 12 of HL and 28 of Lantus cause I'm on sliding scale""

So in other words, she took 40 units of fast acting when she was supposed to take 12. She was trying to follow the 15/15 rule but was becoming light headed and disoriented. People were telling her juice and glucagon and call 911, but one person insisted that eating pizza was the correct way to go. She claims a dietitian and a diabetic nurse who has a type 1 son gave her that advice when her son took too much insulin.

What do you all think? Would you give quick acting carbs, glucagon, or a high fat food like pizza? She claimed the pizza was meant to release a lot of carbs over a long period and there was no need for fast acting carbs.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yea, nope. Pizza would be the last thing on the list. I mean, who has pizza sitting around to correct a mistake of that magnitude. Even if you did, that might be the last thing, literally, I would suggest. The fat could interfere with any fast acting and easily digestible carb. IMO that's really bad advice regardless of the source.

3. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

My husband accidentally gave our son 26 units of Novolog this summer instead of 2.6 units. I posted on this previously, and please don't ask HOW that could have happened. I asked that question myself for weeks, and we're past it finally.

We gave many juice boxes at first and then low dose glucagon, which helped for a bit. But then he started crashing again, and we ended up in the ER. Fortunately, the worst of it was over by that time and they just monitored him for a few hours. It was probably the scariest diabetes night we've had.

On your Facebook site, I think the advice the woman got about glucagon and 911 was the right advice. Sounds like she was alone, too. Not something she should mess around with. I hope she's ok.

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I agree pizza is a bad idea. We have had plenty of lows where it is hard to get her up because pizza's in her belly and carbs aren't absorbing with all that fat. No one should be alone in that situation. I might try to manage my child at home but an adult alone should go to the ER ( and not drive themselves needless to say).

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The poor woman would be unconscious by the time the pizza came.

If she was an adult alone, 911 and glucagon would be the way to go. If she had someone there to help, then they could probably treat with fast acting and constant monitoring.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can see adding some food to the mix and not just relying on juice, but not pizza. It would also depend on the person's I;C ratio, what they were when they took the overdose, who else was around, how quickly one could get help and to the ER if things went south, etc etc but pizza would not be on my list.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

seeing as how her mistake was a 'short acting' mistake, the need for this :

makes no sense.