- advertisement -

What do you think of these #'s?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Flippin' Good Gymnast, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Flippin' Good Gymnast

Flippin' Good Gymnast Approved members

What do you think of these numbers?
    This is were my doctor wants me:
    60-90 before meals, below 140 after eating, and 100 while I am working out at gymnastics.
    Where does your doctor want you to be?

Is this a lot of injections?
    My daily schedule:
    2 units of humalog before breakfeast
    2 units of humalog before lunch
    3 units of humalog before dinner
    10 units of lantus before bed
    What's your schedule like?
    (I think I'm going to get the Minimed Paradigm. Do you know of any smaller?)

Lastly, did anybody here go through the honeymoon stage?

Flippin' Good Gymnast
    :cool:
    :D
    ;)

2. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

My doctor want me between 80 and 120, above 80 to drive, and above 120 for playing soccer. I wouldnt say that is a lot of injections i was taking atleast5-a-day before I went on the pump. I don't really have a set schedule- I'm have a minimed pump(which i LOVE). I'm guessing that you're in competitive gymnastics- a pump could be hard because of how long meets are, unless you want to be connecting/disconnecting the whole time(i was on a ymca team for 4 years). Ya the pump works w/ gymnastics but it takes a lot of planning-but its worth it!
    and yes i did go throught the honeymoon stage-i think most people do

3. Flippin' Good Gymnast

I wouldn't be able to stand FIVE shots a day! I think 4 is a lot! For gymnastics my doctor said I would just take it of. (leave in the site) I know meets are long but just test throught if high I'll be high and if low eat a snack. It helps to know there is\were other diabetic competive gymnasts!!!!!!

Thankz for writtin', :D
    Flippin' Good Gymnast

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  4. wiz1

wiz1 Approved members

I went through the honeymoon stage right when i got diabetes witch was the Halloween before last years.
    6 units of novalog before breakfast
    5 units of novalog before lunch
    5 units of novalog before dinner
    19 units of lantus before bed
    and whats "humalog?:confused:

5. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

humalog is just a different kind of fast acting insulin

6. wiz1

wiz1 Approved members

Thanks!! :D

7. jpb286

jpb286 Approved members

60-90 before meals seems REALLY dicey. Thats setting yourself up to not have symptoms of hypoglycemia until you are REALLY LOW. I would be aiming for 80-120 instead. Everything else looks good!

8. Flippin' Good Gymnast

I just started the pump so know my endo wants me 80-120

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I ignore my endo, but he wants me 60-110 before meals and below 150 all the time. I think that's nuts.
    I don't do meals.
    I eat whatever whenever (that's what I tell him: I'll inject as much as you want, but I'm eating whatever whenever, sorry).

Your endo's suggestions sound ok EXCEPT for the gymnastics bit. Do you go hypo during gymnastics? In general, I suggest that if you're 100 when you start, eat when you start (and don't add insulin)!

I inject Lantus in the mornings, somewhere between 10 and 24 units (depends on the day- my insulin sensitivity is highly variable).
    I might have a morning Novolog injection depending on how high I am and whether or not I want to eat much.
    Midmorming, I check and if I'm high I correct.
    Lunch time I always check. I might or might not inject depending on my blood sugar and how much I'm going to eat.
    Midafternoon I check and I can usually get a snack with no insulin.
    Late afternoon, I'll often have a snack, with or without insulin.
    Suppertime, I'll start with one injection, and then do more if I want seconds or thirds.
    Bedtime, I check, correct if above 120 unless I've been running low that day or recently injected.
    Middle of the night I check, inject if over 120.

A normal day can have anywhere from one to eight injections, and 10 to 60 units of insulin, but two to six injections and 15-40 units is my normal range. Four is my average number of injections, and 25 is my average number of units.

I don't know if I honeymooned. Not dramatically is for sure.

10. Flippin' Good Gymnast

When I was on lantus, I went low a lot durring gymnastics! Now that I am on a pump I just disconnect for gymnastics workout. Workout is four or more hours. I check my B.G. a least once an hour, and I have been staying in the 90s the whole time. :rolleyes: The lowest I have ever been is 85 since I started the pump. I have learned that if I want my B.G. to stay in the 90s I have to eat a piece of string cheese. Otherwise, my B.G. will rise up to 140! :confused: I think it is strange, but it works.
    Flippin' Good Gymnast :D

11. LalaLora272

LalaLora272 Approved members

Your injections and units are that high really. I did go through the honeymoon stage and my injection amounts were tiny!

Im on humalog and lantus and my doses stand at:

16-20 with breakfast
    16-20 with lunch
    36 units of lantus at around 6pm
    16-20 with tea

Im a big eater and I dont do gym like you, but dont worry your doses sound fine to me!

Good luck xx

12. butterflygal291

butterflygal291 Approved members

sounds OK. i took 5 shots a day when i took shots. i now use a pump. the sugar target before meals is a little stanage, i aim for 70-150 but diff. people r diff.

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I met with my endo more recently and he says I'm doing great. :D
    I do anywhere from one to a dozen shots per day, and I'd guess I average between four and five.

14. Kristen

Kristen Approved members

Can someone please explain to me what a pump is?? I use a pen so I don't really know...

15. Flippin' Good Gymnast

I think of it as a digital pancreas. :p