- advertisement -

What do you think? Handheld spectrometer for food analysis

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nebby3, Sep 29, 2016.

1. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

There seem to be a couple of these devices in the works for release in 2017. I haven't seen much about them in the D community. here is one: https://www.consumerphysics.com/myscio/order/
    It is the cheaper of the two I've seen. Basically, it is a handheld device which can scan your food and tell you (among other things) the carb count. It seems like this could be big for us, right? Accurate carb counts can make a huge difference.

2. samson

samson Approved members

If it works, it would be not much value-add at home, but huge when we eat out. I don't know that they have to have much accuracy, however. They're just a consumer toy, not a licensed medical device, right?

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Yes, it does seem to be a consumer toy. I have a teen. At home I figure carbs but more and more she is on her own and she basically guesses so I could see us using it a lot. Even a reasonable degree of accuracy would probably benefit us.