- advertisement -

What do you think about this?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tymaxtess, Apr 22, 2007.

1. tymaxtess

tymaxtess Approved members

Tessa has been doing really well lately and I haven't been checking her much, but tonight after supper she said "I'm so tired--I'm gonna go lay down". I thought that seemed weird for a 4 yr old, so I checked her. 171. Now, it was only 30-45 minutes after supper, so this was probably her peak, but it still seems high and not normal to me.

What do you think? Does that seem high for a kid without diabetes? Should meals make a 4 yr old tired? It was NOT a high carb meal--we had raw veggies and dip, fresh fruit (appples, oranges, and grapes), steak on the grill, and water. That seems like a healthy meal that a kid with diabetes should be able to handle. Am I right about that? She has been milk free for over 2 weeks now, but I haven't really noticed any difference so far.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

hmm, I don't know if that is normal, from everything I hear, it is not.... did you do a dip stick? it should show at 180, which she's pretty close too.. have you checked her after that, like two hours after a meal.. thats not a high carb meal, like you said, we would only had to bolus for the fresh fruit... I'm assuming they were, but I gotta ask, are you sure that her hands were clean before checking.. if she does go higher.. bring her to the ER and get blood drawn.. so you can start getting 'paper' trails that yes, your meter is not malfuntioning.. when you keep track of her BG, do you list what she ate last, so dr's can see that yes, indeed, it wasn't a very high carb meal..

sorry you are still dealing with this.. as for the tiredness, it COULD be that it was beautiful out today (where I live anyway;)) and maybe the playing outside took a lot of energy.. obviously something is going on..

Iwish you had some straight forward answers:(

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  3. tymaxtess

I didn't do a dipstick and I didn't check again later. I just let it go for today because she appeared to feel better. I noticed some issues on Friday too--but this is how it has gone over the past 6 months. Sometimes 3-4 good weeks and then it seems to get bad again. I'm just gonna watch her closely over the next few days and will call her doctor tomorrow to get the order for a blood draw if it goes high at home.

You are right about the nice day--we were outside almost all day and she was worn out, but the tiredness really hit her right after supper and then after awhile she was going strong again.

I know 171 isn't super high (and yes, her hands were definitely clean), but I can't find any info anywhere that suggests that normal blood glucose levels should ever go that high. I honestly would be happy if I could find something that said that some people are just like that--it doesn't exist though!

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I feel your frustration.. definitely get that order.. I do hope you get some definite answers soon.. !

5. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Honestly Stacy, that just doesn't seem right to me. I know that some people say that post meal spikes into the 160s are normal for people without D, but that just hasn't been my experience. If that were the case everyone would be walking around with BGs in that range and I have never in all my years of testing myself, my husband, my mother (I grew up in a D household) seen a number over 120ish in any of us. I tested after drinking 24 ounces of coke the other day and my BG was 119.

I know everyone is different and maybe Tessa's body is just different. But it could be that things will go this way for a while (off and on mild highs) and then all of a sudden her BGs will really make a jump and you'll know what you need to do. I know that isn't what you want to hear. But the readings that you guys have had over the past few months have just been too high in my opinion for something to not be up.

6. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

For the meal you described, 171 seems high to me.

I know what a 170-180 feels like and it doesn't feel good for me. I had a McDonald's breakfast, (I embarrassed to say included 2 McGriddles:eek: and some other sugary stuff...I think a pie and a decaf coffee with 4 sugars.:eek: Not normal for me...but pregnancy...causes cravings. :p Anyway at 1 hour postprandial I was 180. I felt tired and sluggish and just wanted to sit on the couch...I got suspicious and tested and that's how I found the 180. The carbs for the meal I had were atrocious! I haven't eaten a McGriddle or pie since...

7. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

Grapes actually have alot of sugar in them, and usually act more quickly than other fruits. My BGs, regardless of how much I compensate beforehand, with grapes is in the 300s everytime, so I avoid them and raisins for the most part, not all the time. Some people don't react well to fruit in general. Also, there is another thing I go by when I eat an all protein meal or low carb meal, I read it somewhere long ago, but I count the protein and cut it in half or a quarter, depending on the meat, and dose with insulin.

8. tymaxtess

OK, but Tessa doesn't have diabetes. Do you think grapes effect everyone this way--even those whose pancreas is working as it should?

9. allisa

allisa Approved members

I'm not sure if this thought has ever been brought up before....

Dumping syndrome....though from the research I have found it seems to only effect children who have had some sort of stomach/gastric surgery and I don't recall you ever saying that Tess had been through anything like that. Basically, food is "rushed" through the digestive process...leaving patients feeling sluggish after meals and having BOTH elevated and lowered blood sugars....can usually be controlled with diet.....but again.....i don't think you ever mentioned any surgeries for her, no ? And all the research I have seen suggests it effects only post-surgery ......but you never know.....maybe her gasto-system is out of wack somehow

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dumping-syndrome/DS00715/DSECTION=6

10. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Have you checked her fasting glucose? I would check her in the morning, and two hours after a meal. Has her thirst or urination increased? I assume she is potty trained, so has she been getting up more during the night to potty, or sweating more than usual at night?

I am Type II and haven't been controlling it like I should. It got so bad in the past couple of weeks that I could eat a salad for dinner and practically pass out for an hour. I felt like I was drugged.

And no, I don't think 171 is normal. Have you noticed if around the times she acts different or has higher blood sugar does she have a cold, fever, or shortly thereafter gotten sick? Illness can still bring up BG in a non-D.

11. tymaxtess

Nope--no surgeries.

12. tymaxtess

Good questions-- lately a little more thirsty and urinating a little more, but nothing extreme. That too, comes and goes.

She goes REALLY high when she is sick--she has gone to 285 and had large ketones when she had a virus. These numbers--160-180 are when she is healthy.

13. lynn

lynn Approved members

I think, if I were you, I would have big bald spots where I pulled my hair out!
    That doesn't sound right at all. I was thinking about you guys the other day and wondered if you had thought of testing yourself every time to test Tessa? If you recorded both readings every time then wouldn't that refute the "faulty meter" idea? To consistantly see an 88 or 92 next to a 177 or 191
    may speak loudly to the doctor.
    I pray that if this is diabetes coming out then you get an urging to get her to the doctor at just the right time to ensure a diagnosis before she gets too sick.
    Lynn

14. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

It's more normal than most think, but it is established that there is some sort of glucose intolerance going on, or believed to be going on, due to some unknown reason, whether she's hypo, in the beginning stages of type one or two(type two happens to kids, too). The reason I pointed out the grapes, is due to the glucose intolerance and would be the cause of the elevated bg. If she had been type one, trust me, the number that would have come up would have you passing out, her sugar would have spiked alot more than 171 from the meal you had. Also, I would suggest purchasing another brand of meter and compare the two, not all meters are accurate for everyone, I believe it depends on a person's chemistry.

15. tymaxtess

OK-- but I don't think Type 2 is a possibility for Tessa. She is 4 yrs old and small for her age. Definitely not overweight--actually she is underweight. I have a Freestyle Flash, but maybe I will get another meter to see.

16. tymaxtess

I like that idea! Except for the fact that those little strips are so darn expensive! I have done that a few times though and that is exactly how it is--she is high and anyone else in the family that I check is 100 or below--even after a big meal. She was sick and was 285 and everyone wrote it off as sickness related, but when I got the same sickness and checked myself after a meal, I was 140. Still within a normal range for after a meal but higher than I normally go--presumably because of the sickness.

17. Mama Belle

Stacy -

You've gone to an endo right? If this continues to occur you may want to see if they can hook her up to a three day CGMS. You won't be able to see the results as they occur, but after she has it removed they will get a report of all of her BGs. If you keep accurate records during those three days they can pair up meals/activity etc. to BGs and see what is happening. Just a thought.

18. tymaxtess

We did see an endo, but she thinks I am crazy. She didn't even recommend ANY follow-up at all--no more a1c's or anything. NO way would she recommend the CGMS--she recommended (snottily, I think) that I take Tessa to see Dr. Brink (I faxed her some of his thoughts about Tessa that I received via the online Children with Diabetes question area). Do you think her regular dr. could prescribe that?

How come you don't see any results right away? Does it just record all the data that is downloaded later or something?

19. Mama Belle

Oh yeah, I forgot about her response to your letter.

This three day CGMS is different than the type of CGMS that folks use on MDIs and the pump. For reference, this is similar to a Holter monitor (where they watch your heart rhythms) only they are watching BGs instead of your heart. The device just has a means of recording data, not an interface by which to show an instant reading. It is mostly used as a diagnostic tool for kids with D who may be having erratic numbers, especially at night, to identify the circumstances surrounding extreme swings in BGs.

If things continue find yourself a new doctor who will listen and might be receptive to giving this a shot.

20. tymaxtess

Thanks Heidi--that is very helpful. I am going to call her regular dr. today--just hope I haven't burned any bridges since I went to another dr. in order to get the endo referral (which turned out to be a total bust anyway!)

I have a feeling she (our regular dr.) won't be happy that the endo blew off all of the numbers are meter or human error. We'll see.