- advertisement -

what do you not like about your pump?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by jesusgirl4eva, Feb 1, 2007.

1. jesusgirl4eva

jesusgirl4eva Approved members

what do you not like about your brand of pump? I have heard the following about the brands but I would like to know what you guys think...ANY feeback that ya'll have would be awesome!
    So, I have heard that:
    From Animas, that it stings to put in
    From Minimed, that it is a very simple machine
    From Cozmo, that it is big, a wierd shape and bulky
    do you agree/disagree wit these...add anything that you would like!

Thank you!!

:) Anna:)

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have a Cozmo , I think its a cool shape ( more like a 'fun gadget' than a medical device) and so easy to use. We chose it mainly for its "customisability" - we can name it (it changes its name almost daily sometimes :rolleyes: ), name our basal rate patterns, custom name our own bolus' s, name our temp rates so they are easy to set, name our alerts and reminders etc
    I love the different home screens and especially the "Site Change Reminder".

I don't think any "pump" would sting to put in as that would depend on your "infusion set" and your method of insertion.

Good luck in choosing one!! :eek: :cwds: :cool: (Rachel added these smilies herself)

3. Becky

Becky Approved members

I have heard that Animas pumps use a faster infusion rate than others and, for some users, this does cause a bolus to sting. I have never worn an Animas pump, so I can't speak to that directly. However, my Minimed pump even stings sometimes- it's not very often, usually after a new set, and it's not that painful, just annoying.
    See if the pump rep will let you wear a demo of their pump with saline in it before you commit to buying it, and see what you think!

4. jesusgirl4eva

I meant the infusion set...sorry. Ya, no "pump" would sting going in lol. :eek:
    Thank you guys for responding!:D

:) Anna:)

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son is on an Animas pump. He set the delivery rate to slow and does not experience any stinging.

6. jesusgirl4eva

Does anyone have the Animas pump and if so what do they like/dislike about it.

Thanks.
    :)Anna:)

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

As Animas is the only pump we have used, I am not exactly objective.

1. The Animas Pump is very compact. My son just slips it into his pocket. Other than the tubing hanging out sometimes, I can't tell it is there.
    2. The pump itself is very reliable. Occulsion alamrs get progressively louder, such that I can them in the next room.
    3. The method used for insulin on board and corrections is accurate.
    4. There are several ways to deliver a bolus, all of which have merit.
    5. I can set as many basal rates as I need over the course of the day.
    6. There is a food database -- we haven't used it much
    7. I can easily see what the IOB is and review the history, including TDD.
    8. You can quickly stop a bolus if needed. It takes a few manuveurs to start a bolus, so it can't be easily done accidently.
    9. The small cartridge means has to change the site fairly often -- sometimes he needs some motivation to change the site.
    10. I can change the cartiridge without changing the site.
    11. Animas supports the diabetes community by sending a CDE to a local day camp my son attends and I help organize. This and the size of the pump were the primary reason we choose Animas.

Other than size, probably other companies have the same features.

Dislikes
    1. When I give my son a large bolus while he is in bed (in prepartion for breakfast), if the tubing isn't straight, an occulsion alarm sounds.
    2. You can't stop a load cartridge process. You have to wait until it is done winding up.
    3. There are days when I wish he had enough insulin to last 3 entire days. Changing the site before school is treacherous.

We have had some issues with the sites we use (inset) and it took a while to determine that Apidra is the best insulin for my son. These are somewhat unrelated to the pump itself.

8. jesusgirl4eva

Thank you

Thank you guys. That helped a lot. I am doing a research project on diabetes and so that really helped to see what people think of the treatment they use:)

Anna

9. Rob

Rob Approved members

I'm currently on the cozmo pump, and I dont find it big/bulky at all. I just keep it in my pocket and have never had a problem with it being too big. other than that, things I like:

• easy to use. button sequences are fairly straight forward.
    • touch bolus. makes taking insulin quick and easy when your on the go. I have mine set so I can program it up to 120 carbs in 5 carb incriments. and this can be done right through clothing with no difficulty.
    • customizable. almost everything can be changed and set up to how you like it. especially if you have the software to set your pump up on your computer. using the software you can custom name alerts and fine tune things alot easier.
    • awesom software. it's quick and easy to use. I just load the program off my pump, modify anything I want to change, send it back. takes maby a min or two and I can completly change how my pump is setup.
    • strong case. I've had mine for over a year and other than some cracks, it's held up pretty well. (I'm hard on things like that. if it's in my pocket and isn't good quality, it's gonna get demolished)
    Dislikes:

• select few items can't be changed. (for example, there's no way to shut off the automatic reduction from IOB when making a correction)
    • yea, that's about it...
    as a side note, the little button for the touch bolus dosent seem to stick on very well. mine fell off insude a few weeks. little bit of industrial adheasive will fix that pretty quick tho, I havent had a problem since.