- advertisement -

what do you have for the pump`s backup

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Inman, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Inman

Inman Approved members

Hi,
    I would like to know if your child is using a pump,Do you also have an insulin pen as a backup for the pump? and what kind of penfill you put in the pen?
    I mean if your are using Novolin R in the pump,and will you also use Novolin R penfill?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Our endo encourages pumpers to keep at least one pen or vial of lantus in the fridge at all times.

We often get samples from the endo's office rather than filling a prescription.

The last time our pump died we fell back on her previous pump, which, despite the cracked screen and having been in storage for 2 years worked just fine for the day or two that we waited for the replacement to arrive.

3. minniem

minniem Approved members

I believe you would use the same insulin (someone correct me if I'm wrong). When my son's pump had to be replaced we went back to MDI using humalog since he uses humalog in his pump. I'm not sure about Novilin R, is that like Novalog or is it regular insulin? Sorry I'm just not familiar with it.

Our endo also encourages us to keep a vial of lantus in the fridge too in case we had to switch back. Otherwise with humalog we have to give a shot about every 3 hours to keep his BG's down.

Maybe someone else will chime in too. Good Luck!:cwds:

4. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Lantus

We have a bottle of Lantus in the refrigerator. Which makes me wonder - if it is unopened, I wonder how long it is good for? I probably need to check into that.

We would just use his regular novalog and we have one bag of needles left from when we were MDI. Not a very large supply - though. I guess we could get more if needed.

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We have a couple of Novopen Jr. pens from when DD was on MDI that we use as our backup. A while back I bought a box of the BD Nano pen needles without a prescription for it.

We get insulin only in the cartridges anyway (more convenient, less waste), but no longer have any Lantus. I figure we'd have to get an emergency Rx if we had a serious failure that would not be fixed with a pod change.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have Novolog vials and pens, so we would just fall back on those, and because we do untethered during the summer, we have a stash of Levimere. As Sarah said, you can usually get a sample from the endo to keep on hand. If not, our scrip for Levimere is written "for use in the even of a pump failure" this way, the insurance doesn't even question it.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We keep a current prescription of lantus at all times. I check it periodically for expiration date. We have syringes on hand to use with the vial of insulin he fills his pump with, he actually uses syringes quite a lot.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Lantus and syringes are the back up plan for my son. The fast acting is the same as in his pump.

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I have my old Cozmo.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've never kept Lantus in the fridge. We have lots of doctors who we could call day or night to get a prescription called in for us to a 24 hours pharmacy. Now we also have an Omnipod for a backup.

11. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

We keep a bag of syringes and a novolog pen in D-bag all the time. We also have Levemir in the fridge at all times :)

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We have syringes, vial of lantus, and an back up pump.

13. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We keep lantus pens in fridge, syringes on hand. We also made a copy of the cheat sheet to figure out MDI dose. I prefer lantus pens as they are easier to pack for vacations and less waste. (Only used once, Medtronic is fantastic with getting a replacement within 24 hours.)

14. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Well...since we just had a pump break on Friday, I was glad that I had a lantus pen in the frig. If the expiration dates are long, we only have to fill about once a year. It was a relief to have it available since I was trying to get him to school that morning, it saved time.

We also get a box of novolog pen cartridges at the beginning of school. I leave one cartridge with the nurse for backup insulin and save the rest for times like this. We can always use the novolog pen cartridges to fill the pump if needed. They are also smaller to take with me if I need to than the larger vial.

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we have everything mentioned. Extra pump, pens and syringes.

Most people will fall back to Lantus or Levimir for basal and fast acting for meal/correction boluses.

A few have used regular or NPH for basal/bolus or simply fast accting insulin only if their replacement pump will be coming very quickly, because once you introduce Lantus or Levimir it has more of a day to get out of the system.

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Have old pumps for backups