- advertisement -

What do you guys think about the...

Discussion in 'Teens' started by miss_behave, Jun 13, 2007.

1. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

OmniPod?

I was wondering what other teens thought about it. To me it is wayyyy too big, and would show under my clothes, and to a self-conscious teen that would be awful.
    I think it may be a great option for little kids who wouldn't worry about a noticable bulge.. but I can't think where I could wear it, I like skinny leg jeans and fitted shirts.
    I also have concerns about the wastage. I think about the plastic pod, the batteries and electronics, all being thrown away every 3 days. :(

My personal concerns are

- the pod stopping working in 72 hours (this is a big one, sometimes I don't have time to do a site change, if I'm out or something, so I leave it in longer. I can't just have the pump stop working on me!)
    - the way IOB is calculated (it doesn't include meal boluses)
    - the inabilty to disconnect
    - the lack of other choices for infusion sets/ adhesives ( I prefer straight-in sets and the OmniPod only has 1 set to choose from- an angled one)
    - the lack of downloadable software
    - the fact it only holds 200 units
    - no vibrate option (very important to me personally)
    - the large size and shape
    - the separate PDM which I would probably lose (I lose meters all the time- but I don't pay for them. The PDA is $900 to replace)
    - the fact that a dislodged canulla means an entire pod change (I often only change my set, not reservoir and tubing)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  2. divabetic429

divabetic429 Approved members

Hey:

I have a minimed 512, one of my friends w/ diabetes told me about the omnipod, but I didn't get a lot of info from her.

3. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

my neice had the omni pod. but, because of how big it was and the weight of it... it fell off all of the time. But alot of times it wouldn't completely fall off the tube would just get yanked out from under her skin. so her mom wouldn't know that it was out untill she realized her blood sugar was 700 (my neice hailey is two).

The pump did stick out. but because hailey is only two that didn't bother her.

they finally took her off of the omni pod and are trying to get her on a different pump.

4. flabby_abi

oh and i LOVE my tubing. i dont know why. it just gives me a little freedom i guess

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've never tried pumping, but I think I would lose the PDA. I'm not interested in pumping; until the pump and cgms start communicating and acting alone (like if I could set it so that cgms at 2AM checks my blood sugar and corrects at 1:50 for anything over 150), I'm not interested in pumping.

6. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I don't think i would get the omnipod just because of the size if it were to be smaller maybe i would get it. I like the PDA odea. But i could see someone coming up to me and punching me in my arm.

7. flabby_abi

the part of the omni pod that has to be on you is acctually pretty large (my neice had it). do yall realize that you can see it throu your clothes. it looks kind of weird. kind of like a tumor. lol