- advertisement -

What do you do?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MissMadisonsMom, Aug 19, 2009.

1. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

I work in a college football office.
    Having 3 children that are very athletic and involved, and being an avid sports finatic myself, I think my job does fit my personality as well. :)

2. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

I am an office manager for an insurance company. I have worked in this field since I was 18 (long time ago) I enjoy helping people with all different insurance needs and seeing how they can save money.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

VET TECH...OMG I finally understand your user name! LOL I was always pronouncing it vettesh....

I don't really love it either Paula.

I don't snore. LOL. I just think it's so relaxing. I'm glad I"m not alone. :)

rofl.. well, not that odd I guess hahaha. My husband has the same reaction though.

4. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

I'm a SAHM and don't really care too much for it either :eek: Next year I'll be homechooling Aaron for kindergarten, so that may mix things up a bit for a while. Spring 2011 we'll be moving and both Aaron and Caelin will be enrolled in school the following fall, that's when I will either go back to school full-time and work part-time or just go to school. My former occupations include Marine, Pharmacy technician and clerk in a crafting store. My favorite was the pharm tech job, I loved all the little elderly people. They were very sweet for the most part.

5. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Well, Ive been a SAHM off and on for 20 years. I went to school to be a surg tech when my oldest was about 2. Then I worked in a natural foods store/restaraunt ( never could spell that!). When Joey was 6 months old, I went back to waitressing. When he was a year and a half, we moved upstate and I did data entry at a temp job for a few months, then when that job was over, I worked at group homes & a day center for mentally & physically handicapped adults. It started out as a temp job and I stayed for 2 years. One of the residents died. I had been very close to him and decided I couldnt do that anymore. His death hit me hard. I waitressed again for 6 months, then worked on a remodeling team in the old Ames stores. That also started out temp but I applied there to work as a cashier and worked up to head of the Electronics Dept. (thats where I met my husband actually. He smiled at me and I was done! ) I liked Tuesdays cause it was Senior Citizen day. I thought the old people were sweet too! When I found out I was pregnant w/ the twins the day after the 9/11 attack, I was laid off because I was high risk having already had 4 miscarriages. I was a SAHM again for 6 years until I went to school and then work as a CNA. Id love to go to nursing school to be a LPN. The only thing stopping me really is money for the tuition. Ive thought about volunteering at an Abuse shelter since I am a survivor of domestic, physical & mental abuse. But as far as Ive found, there are no shelters around here. I do love to help people in any capacity.

Wow. I never realized all the different jobs Ive done!

6. Vi'sMom

Vi'sMom Approved members

Well... I'm a Soldier.

I'm in the National Guard and seemm to spend alot of my time being a Soldier, I do enjoy it or I wouldn't have kept at it for so long. I started out Active Duty and now in the Guard. It's been 10 years so far and I do truly enjoy it. Although there is hard times (like now 8 months and still counting without seeing the kids) but in the end it's worth it. My kids, family and friends will continue to live and enjoy the Freedoms we have and that so many take for granted.

On the civilian side I'm a bartender/bar manager and a aspiring photographer.

7. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

House Elf, Pump Pouch Fairy, retired Audiologist.

8. CButler

CButler Approved members

I'm a SAHM and have homeschooled my various kids for 14 years. I really enjoy it and have seen many benefits for my kids.

Before homeschooling, I gave private piano lessons (32 students at one point) and led music in a few different churches. My college training was in piano performance.

I vowed I would have a career and never stay home when I was in college, but my thinking changed quite a bit when I had kids.:)

9. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

I'm not exactly crazy about it myself. Morgan is in school all day so I usually have tons of free time. But, where am I going to find a job that will let me have time off when he gets sick. I mean, he spent 2 months in the hospital this spring, what employer would let you have that time off?! Plus, there is just the amount of time for appts. and other stuff like that. If anyone has any ideas for a work at home job toss them my way. LOL

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Oh wow. Are you deployed now?
    thank you for everything you do. :)

11. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

I'm a stay at home mom. I used to work with ISO and my last job was working at an industrial supply company as the distribution coordinator. I did it all and then also made sure we stayed ISO compliant. Glen is a conductor for Union Pacific RR. :D

Oh, I should mention that I mow yards around me for others that can't/won't meaning some neighbors pay me and others...well, let's just say they should, but end up just buying me beer. lol

I also babysit on occasion...I did it full time up until Griffen was dx'd and then gave it up. I didn't need another thing on my plate.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  12. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

I too, wanted to say thank you! :) Can I ask, where are you stationed?

13. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

proofreader and math editor assistant in the textbook world - fun to see your name in a textbook :p

14. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I have been a SAHM since Tyler was 6 months old. In my previous life I worked in various Human Resources Department, doing everything from recruiting, orientations and benefits administration. I really enjoyed meeting so many people and also being in the position of helping people, (laying off and firing people was unpleasant though).

I am now considering the possibilty of doing a in home daycare in the very near future.

15. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I'm a single SAHM, don't really like it, but haven't much choice at the moment. I also volunteer part time at our local charity shop. Love it there. And I'm studying by correspondence to become a librarian, something I've wanted to do since I was four.

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

I've been a SAHM for 14 years now - wow, hard to believe it's been that long! Prior to that I was a paralegal in Washington, DC. Loved my job but hated the commute!

I love being here to make the boys breakfast in the morning and when they get home for school - when I was in my teens I was a "latch-key" kid and hated coming home to an empty house.

17. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I'm a structural steel fabricator, layout/fitter, and welder. Imagine the steel infrastructure of a high rise building, stadium, hospital and so on as a jig saw puzzle. I'm the person that fabricates the individual pieces of that jig saw puzzle as in all the "I" beams and columns so if all goes as planned, all the construction crew at the job site has to do is bolt and or weld those pieces together.

Work has been slow and we've been on a 30 hr work week all summer but it's starting to pick up and we're scheduled to go back to full time in October.

18. shekov

shekov Approved members

Scott,
    You and my structural engineer hubby could probably talk for hours!!

19. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Thank you. And your family.

20. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

Ask him if he's ever heard of Viking-Cives steel. Viking is the snow plow division as in REALLY big snow plows and Cives is the structural steel division.