- advertisement -

What do you do?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MissMadisonsMom, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I am always curious as to what people do for a living and does their job fit their personality.

I'll start off

First of all I am a stay at home mom, but I also happen to be a substitute teacher and I run a screen printing business out of my home.

These jobs fit my personality because 1. I love kids, and I love being with my own kids...I only substitute at my kids' school - I'm a sub snob. 2. I love to be creative with in coming up with shirt designs that my customers will love - I am getting pretty darn good at CorelDraw.

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I am currently a SAHM (when I say currently I mean only for the last 21 years ;)). In my previous life I was an office manager and security officer. I'm a bit of a control freak so I guess those both fit my personality.

In my first job, I was a salesclerk. I love to shop, and I spent everything I made using my discount, so I guess that worked for me, too.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

right now I'm a sahm but for years I did tech support for a message board company. How surprising is that?? LOL.. I got to sit at home for 30 hours a week and post on message boards. I also do some freelance odds and ends related to websites that get passed my way by my webby friends. for instance right now I'm helping to re-translate this guy's website from dutch to english. he has it translated- - I'm just cleaning it up from broken english to real english.

4. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

I am a Dental Hygienist. I have been practicing ( :p I think that phrase is funny !) for 12 years. I prefer things to be clean and tidy, so I guess cleaning up teeth somewhat fits !

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

ok, so I'll ask you - am i odd that I could fall asleep during a very good cleaning?? LOL.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

I have been a Technical Trainer for 13 years now; before that, I worked on Missiles in the AF.

7. shekov

shekov Approved members

This is interesting.

I'm a SAHM and have been since a month before my oldest was born.

I quickly became bored out of my mind and started doing in home day care.

I quickly tired of people coming and going from my house and went back to SAHM full time.

Two years ago I went to work at a Domestic Abuse Shelter. I answer the 24 hour crisis line and keep the peace in our 9 room shelter. That can either mean I thrive on constant drama OR I enjoy helping people. I prefer the latter.:D

8. shekov

shekov Approved members

Now that just freaks me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm one of those white knuckle gals during a cleaning.

9. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I make stuff.;)

I'm a machinist. Actually, I tell my kids that I don't make parts; the parts are already there inside the block of material. I just take away everything that is not the part until only the part is left.

Work is slow right now. We're on 32 hours and have very little backlog.
    We have one job coming up that could be a good money maker for the company. The only thing is, the job was quoted based on my input on how I could grind the cutting blade edges on the parts. I designed the fixturing for it and now have to build it. We basically stole this sharpening job from another company by bidding it much lower. It will be a black mark on myself if it doesn't work out like I think it will.

10. shekov

shekov Approved members

/Congrats Dave. My cousin is a machinist and it's a job that not just anyone can do. You have skills man!

11. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I am a homeschooling mom and licensed veterinary technician. I love both of my jobs very much and am living my dream life. Both jobs seem to suit me ,at least in my eyes.;)

12. Noel

Noel Approved members

I am a teacher. I am currently teaching computers to all 1st-5th graders in our school district, which is 3 elementary schools. I currently have about 1000 students.:eek: This works out to about 9 classes in 1 day. I am ALWAYS busy at work!

Prior to that I taught 1st grade for 3 years. Right now I like what I do, I spend about 1 1/2 days in each of the 3 schools. I get to work with all the students, all of the teachers and all of the administrators and all of the nurses. I know everybody and have a good rapport in each of the 3 schools and since I am only there 1 1/2 days I don't have time to get caught up in any of the CRAP!!!

13. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

After 8 years as a SAHM, I'm entering my fifth year as a preschool teacher. Before motherhood, I managed construction contracts. (I have a degree in Civil Engineering.)

I love working with young children. After years of dealing with contractors, it's nice to work with people who have a reason for acting four years old! ;)

14. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

I'm a nurse...I'd say it's a good fit. I've never wanted to be anything else.

I am definitely the care taker, the organizer, the planner. I like to keep things simple and no nonsense. I'm very straight to the point. Definitely type A.

DH on the other hand...Computer tech. Retired USN. He's very laid back, it'll get done when I get there, if I get there approach. Doesn't like crowds much. We are really very different.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  15. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I am currently retired, but in the past I've held a variety of jobs. My first was working a concession stand at our then local Dog and Horse racing tracks. I've taught high school math, worked at a print shop, a bingo parlor, lunch room at the girls' school and worked in Headstart, Plus I did in home daycare for over 20 yrs. I think I deserve my retirement.

16. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

I'm a SAHM, but I work part-time in our small business. I do all the marketing, bookkeeping, phone answering, etc. Until we had our 3rd child, I taught Social Studies in Middle School.

I'm thinking I might go back to school to get and MBA to do more business related things. I like it much more than I thought I would.

17. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'm an insurance broker. I sell home/auto/health insurance. I work from home which some days is easier than others.

Prior to getting in to the insurance industry, I worked in medical and pharmaceutical sales. I miss parts of the job, but I can't be in an operating room and have to leave and run supplies up to school or go give a shot.

I like what I do. Its a boring industry, but I enjoy being able to help people. The most satisfaction I get is helping people save money:D

18. Seansmommy

Seansmommy Approved members

Okay here goes a 3 part saga.
    I was a dog groomer, loved it because I love dogs. Moved and could not get work doing that here so...
    Work as a hospital housekeeper/supervisor but don't think it suits me. Don't like office work but it pays very well and awesome health benefits.
    Would love to go back to school and become a care aid. Would suit me because I am good with sick/elderly. And I would keep my health benefits!

19. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

Have been a SAHM for the last 4 years, with two more years of homeschooling.
    In the past worked as an office secretary, school secretary, teachers aide, Pre-k and Kindergarten teacher, and ran a window cleaning business (while homeschooling).

20. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

I teach Health Occupations at the high school. I also do the 21st Century/After School Program for 1st-6th graders a couple days a week.