- advertisement -

1. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I am 18 years old, and currently work part-time(should be moving to full-time in January).

My boss knows I have T1, and so does the onsight Associate Doctor(I work at a Hospital). However, I have not mentioned it to co-workers yet.

I guess, my question is. Do you let your co-workers know about the T1, or do you just go along until the need arises to tell them?

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but I am continuing my College classes in January(I took this semester off). Are there any papers I need to turn in, or information I need to give regarding the T1(probably something my Advisor can fill me in on)? Do I need to tell my Professors about it, and if so, how did you go about letting them know?

I am just curious if there are steps your are supposed to do with your College regarding T1, or if they do not need to know at all? Thanks:)

2. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

I've told all my co-workers about my T1. It's an intelligent idea to do so, just in case something happens (even though there is a good chance nothing will, it's one of those "just in case" things). In the past, I have waited for a moment to casually bring it up as a "no big deal" sort of thing that happens to tie into a particular subject of conversation. I would personally feel very odd and awkward springing it on my co-workers at random (ie: "yeah, it's a beautiful day outside OH OH!! I'M A DIABETIC!!! YEEEAH!! :D")

I only told (literally) around a couple professors I had about my D. I didn't see the point of bringing it up and the ones I told were ones who I actually had personal conversations with. They don't really *need* to know, but some people think it's a good idea to tell them... I personally just felt it was unnecessary and didn't know how to bring it up without being really random, so I just never bothered.

3. Dx011106

Dx011106 Approved members

Both my college and the college I'm am studying "abroad" at this semester have advising offices with "disability resources". I had to get a doctor's note explaining my "disability" and each quarter I present my new teachers with a form and we talk about diabetes (what it is, how it affects me, why I may be late/not attend classes if my blood sugar is too high or too low), agree upon possible assignment extensions and so forth. It really helps get to know the teachers, as well as make sure I am safe in my learning environment and my needs are met.

4. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

Haven't had to deal with coworkers yet, and I just started telling profs this year. I started the nursing program this semester, so I told my advisor/program chair/prof/lab instructor about it, and also my clinical instructor. I haven't registered with disability services, because I don't need any special accomodations. Classmates don't know yet, but I'm sure they will soon, especially the ones I have clinical with.

5. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

When I had a job, I told all of my managers that I was diabetic, etc. None of them had a problem if I needed to test or whatever. I just let my co-workers find out on their own.

As for college professors, I've just mentioned it quickly so they will know what is happening. In the Wellness Concepts class I am taking now, I actually had to fill out a pre-exercise medical form. The form is like 10 years old, so I actually had to draw a line in and write down that I have type 1 and stuff. There is a scan of the front and back in the Teen forum.

6. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Thank you for the help everyone, greatly appreciated:cwds:.

....my co-workers found out, not by me though. My boss asked me how my test trial was going, and how my numbers were...they happened to be right next to me(it was during lunch break). So they did ask the question, "are you diabetic?" I just said yes(and added Type 1), and left it at that. Didn't seem to bother them. At least they know though, so I did feel comfortable checking my BG around them afterwards(was having wacky numbers, so I was checking often).

In regards to College, I think I may just go with the flow right now...and decide if I want to tell them when the time comes. I may mention it, just so they are aware(in case something does happen in the middle of clasS).