- advertisement -

What do you do when the meter reads HI?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by slpmom2, Sep 24, 2012.

1. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

The omnipod meter will read HI after 500. We have a one touch for backup that will go to 600.

We've had this happen twice. First time was a complete panic. I ran across the street with a backup meter, she was at her dads, called the endo etc. That time it was eating an entire bag of marshmallows and forgetting to bolus.

Last time she just went "crap" and showed me her meter. We got out the backup meter just to be sure. Did a manual correction. Waited. Next test was higher. I asked her where she got the bottle of insulin. "Oh I found it at Dads". Oye. Switched out the pod and opened a new insulin bottle. Did another manual correction. Then tested about every 45 mins to an hour until she was back in range. We also tested keytones. This time it was a combo of forgetting to bolus for all of her popcorn, pod that fell out, new pod with bad insulin.

2. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I've only had one 'Hi' other then when I was diagnosed, and it happened last year. I did call the Endo for that one to just make sure I was doing the right thing.

My situation was lack of insulin due to a pulled out infusion set, overnight. I was not only high, but had large ketones...and felt sick to my stomach. My Endo told me to basically give 1/2 my daily basal rate upfront(for the lack of insulin all those hours), plus a correction. I think it ended up being 15 units or so all upfront via a shot. I then started a new infusion set.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Know your meter! Here are the HIGH and LOW cutoffs for a lot of common meters:

10-600
    Bayer Contour
    Ascensia Contour TS
    Accu Chek Aviva
    Accu Chek Compact Plus

20-600 (1.1-33.3 mmol/l)
    Accu Chek Nano
    Bayer Countour USB
    Breeze 2
    Didget
    iBGStar
    NovaMax
    One Touch Ultra
    One Touch Ultrasmart
    One Touch Ultra Mini
    One Touch Verio IQ
    Telcare BGM
    True 2 Go
    TrueTrack
    Sidekick
    Wavesense Jazz, Presto, and Keynote

20-500
    Freestyle Lite
    Freestyle Freedom Lite
    Freestyle Flash
    Precision Xtra

As you can see, most of the meters will give you numbers in the 20-600 range, but the ones made by Freestyle only read as high as 500, and some of the Accu Cheks and some of the Contours go down to 10.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's probably worth bearing in mind that once you get up there in the "Hi" range, be it on a meter with a 500 or a 600 cutoff, chances are that your facing some inherent meter variability. Your freestyle lite meter says "Hi" but your bg could be anywhere from 400 - who knows.

Getting a super high down requires figuring out why you've got such a high - insulin disruption, failure to bolus, illness, etc.. It's one of those, both sides of the brain, problems for which there is no, one size fits all formula.

5. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Yes! Hana got a 530 out of nowhere the other day! We have no idea what happened. She was 98 at lunch. She had some Ramen Noodles (gross) for lunch - bolused as usual and even did an extended bolus for the noodles. We went for an 11 mile bike ride. Got home and she was 530! She retested again and this time it said 398. Not good but not 530.

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We use the Omnipod, so HI means over 500. Up Until a few weeks ago, we had not seen one for quite awhile.

A few weeks ago, DD was over 400, and DH corrected and temporarily increased her basal. Two hours later, she was HI. The cannula was completely out! I suspect that that led to the 400+, and DH and I talked about the need to check the site. We have very few site issues ever, but it was foolish not to have checked with a number that high.

We did an injection, based on a BG of 500 , changed the pod, and increased her basal, then checked every 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

7. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We would do the same as most other people posted, but I wanted to chime in as another person who would use an injection for the correction. Any BG over 300 and we do an injection. We also do a site change.

8. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I would correct at 600

When my son was diagnosed the meter read HI. I thought that meant like HELLO and was clueless. I was looking for a number. After testing on another meter - his BS was 680.

I would also go with the 600 number. We do use mios and don't have any problems, but everyone is different.

Drink lots of water. I usually recheck every hour when numbers are that high and of course, keep checking keytones. If they are present, they should be coming down.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

What meter reads that high?