1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do to make diabetes a little less awful for your kid?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by quiltinmom, Sep 2, 2015.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Jun 24, 2010
    I put this in the teen forum, but it could apply to younger kids too. At least here it won't get buried so fast. It's just supposed to be a fun thread, for people to toss ideas around. Maybe it might help avoid some of the teenage I-think-I-don't-have-diabetes-anymore syndrome. :)

My DS is 13, diagnosed at 7.

A year or two ago, I started getting him a little treat (usually ice cream) after dr. appts. We hardly ever eat out, so it's a real treat for him. Although getting a few hours away from school may be reward enough! lol

Next, something that's kind of fun, if he tests and it's exactly 100, I give him a dollar (if I have one in my purse). Sometimes he's 99 or 101 and we lament that he just barely missed it. Then he asks, "then do I get two dollars for a 200?" lol

They are just little things that help him get through the hard times of diabetes. I think it has helped him have a better attitude about it all.

I think I got both of these ideas from this forum, so thank you to whoever told me about them. :)

The other thing is diabetes camp every year. That's the BIG one. :) He loves camp almost as much as Christmas!
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Aug 21, 2009
    We travel across the state for endo appts. We drive down the day before, go to her appt the next morning, then drive home. Except for the winter appt, it's just the 2 of us, so it's special alone time. Sometimes we see a movie, or maybe stop by the mall. It's a treat for her because we live in a very small town.

I look for things to personalize her D supplies....colorful meter cases, skins for her pump/meter/Dex.

We had a particularly awful appt a couple of years ago. Both the CDE & NP were highly critical & negative. It's the only time she's left an appt in tears. We gave them both special (sarcastic) nicknames. Now it's a regular thing for us when we see a new CDE. Thankfully, they've all been flattering names since that one bad appt. She dubbed one CDE the Dexcom Ninja.:wink: And I've discovered my dd has a quick wit, & has a knack for reading people.

We do special things for her dx anniversary every year. This year (6 yrs) I bought her a small sledge hammer painted a bright lime green. We decorated it together, after she used it to bash a meter. It's hanging on her bedroom wall along with her favorite pics from D camp.

I feel very fortunate that we haven't had any real issues with rebellion...yet. I'm proud of how responsible she is, & I let her know it on a regular basis.
  3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Aug 28, 2011
    LOL. My daughter says, "He stole my quote!"

I agree with PP poster about bad endo appointments. We walked out of one in which my daughter announced, "She has 3 chances, and then she's done." She was right. Switching was a very good decision for my daughter and left her feeling empowered rather than just being a chart. She loves her new endo, and it's so nice that both of us don't dread the appointments starting 6 weeks in advance. She's chattery and interactive, rather than the withdrawn, "I-hate-these-appointments" teen I was beginning to see.

We went out for lunch after the last one, which was fun. Often we take in a museum, depending on her appointment time.

Editted to add: Being 100% their advocate when people don't want to bother with their medical needs despite the law. It doesn't always change the circumstances, but it lets them know they're not alone in the fight and that it's ok to advocate for themselves. The need to do so is one of the worst "things your endo never told you at dx", but if I had known what she/we'd face back then, I couldn't have dealt with the agony of it on top of diagnosis grieving.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Sep 23, 2007
    When she was small she'd get a totally random gift now and again to show that we appreciated her cooperation and hard work. Never tied to an A1c or anything, just a, "you've been a really trooper" and here's a play mobile farm :) In hindsight I do think it took the edge off. Who doesn't like a bonus?
  5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Nov 17, 2005
    We do this too. Not tied to A1c, but usually in conjunction with the endo visit as for us it means a day or afternoon in Boston. I look at it as "hey, you've been doing a lot to take care of yourself these last 3 months" bonus.

Camp too is a big deal for my girls. They love it. In fact this year, they are doing winter camp a few days after Christmas, and that's what they asked for for Christmas!
  6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Apr 9, 2013
    I do always try to schedule her appointments during school so she gets a little time off. This year she eats lunch really early, so last Monday, we went out to eat as well before dropping her back off at school since she would have missed lunch.
  7. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Nov 10, 2010
    We take the two hour drive to clinic and make a day of it doing fun things.

I never complain when we are out and my kids wants to stop to get a bottle of water or ice tea.

If we order a meal out and it is not working out for diabetes related reasons I just let them order another. The other day my daughter and I stopped at Steak N Shake and she wanted a meal that would have been kind of fast but she was high. I offered for her to have spaghetti instead and she agreed. But when she got it, it tasted awful. So I let her order a new meal. On the other hand, one time our family went out to breakfast at IHOP and between when we left the house and when we sat down my daughter skyrocketed in the high three hundreds for no known reason. She did not want to eat anything other than pancakes with syrup - which would have been horrible. We all left with plans to reschedule breakfast out for another day.

I cover all costs for buying bags/containers for diabetes supplies and don't resist when they want a new bag.

I keep/make tasty food in the house that works with their needs.

For things that are not diabetes related they live with the choices they make, and they learn to delay gratification.
  8. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

Sep 4, 2015
    We have been dealing with this disease for almost a year and a half, and it seems like a lifetime and sometimes it feels like just yesterday he was diagnosed! I try to think about what he can have without having to get a shot and I try to stock up on those things and have a ready supply. I never bought those frozen juice sticks before because I always thought of them as "sugar water", but now I see that they are just a way for him to have a "sweet" option without having to cover with a shot and it helps him feel free to be a "normal" kid. I also found out that buying things that are already pre-packaged with the label on the back is a very good option for easy grab snacks at home or on the road. No counting and searching for the carb counting book! I have a small dry erase board in the kitchen full of serving sizes of his favorite fresh food servings too along with carb count for each item. Then when the seasonal items change, erase and add new items. It's like his own menu! I also try to buy new things for his kit, maybe a new lancing device, or just last month, a new backpack for his supplies. You just got to keep them going with the positive thinking, and it doesn't hurt to get excited about their input about new devices or methods as well. It is amazing how much a brave eleven year old boy and one nasty, unpredictable disease can teach you about yourself! Shout outs to all of us for taking care of these precious angels! God Bless! :triumphant:
  9. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Feb 16, 2008
    We always went to a bakery for a treat after endo appointments. It was more of a 'thank you for being patient while we were discussing your health.' He would usually be sitting their looking very bored during the appointment.
  10. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Jun 24, 2010
    I can relate with this! Lol
  11. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Jan 26, 2015
    We almost always stop for a small McDonalds ice cream cone on the way home from an endo appointment. They really don't seem to affect his glucose much.....we pre-bolus about 10 minutes out. He really enjoys it and its a special treat. A small chocolate Frosty is our second choice. I've enjoyed reading others' ideas!
  12. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

Jun 7, 2015
    He and I get on the computer and go to Amazon and search for about an hour and order something small following each new sensor placement for the CGM. Then we check the package tracking each day when he finishes his homework.

I take him to the grocery store once a week and we try out one new food that he wants to try, and also something that I want him to try. If he wants to try something we do the best we can with one thing each day. Pumpkin pie is going to be up next. It's about 40 grams for 1/6. We might do a slice for dinner with meat and veggies and low carb milk.

We tend to do bigger dinners. I am not sure but so far I have gotten smaller breakfast spikes after bigger carb dinners.
  13. shannong

shannong Approved members

Sep 15, 2012
    The best thing I did was switch diabetes clinics. I did it mostly for myself to avoid a very condescending doctor, but I didn't realize until after we switched how much my son didn't like them either. Now we always see really warm nurses and a great doctor. My son also gets to do a finger prick rather than a blood draw for his A1C and no longer dreads these appointments because of this. I have always used little incentives for my son when it comes to taking care of his diabetes. At school, he gets 25 cents per day for responding to high alarms (which he would never do last year). He actually didn't really want the money but I wanted to do it because I want to send the message that he should be rewarded for taking good care of himself.
  14. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Feb 6, 2014
    I think rewarding your son with $0.25 per day for responding to alarms is a great idea! Everyone should get paid for doing their job. I think you just helped me come up with a way to get my daughter to respond to her alarms. Even though we use Dex Share and I text her instructions with what I'd like her to do, there are quite a few places in her middle school where she gets no signal and I get no Dexcom data. This idea should go a long way towards getting her to be responsible for alarms when I get no Share info.
  15. wildemoose

wildemoose Approved members

Nov 29, 2008
    I'm 31 and I still treat myself to Starbucks or a donut after an endo appointment. :smile:
  16. Amanda e

Amanda e Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    for my son he 27. i like to take him to the store so he can cook something he likes. or get something he likes. & there a museum he like to go so i take him there after his endo appointment. or i take him to the mall. yes he like to shop he gets it from me. as for my daughter she is 16. it the mall or the salon so she can get her hair & makeup done.