- advertisement -

What Do You Do If Your Child Refuses To Wear Medical ID bracelet?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shiningmom3, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

welcome! :D

matt hates wearing an ID bracelet, and necklace.... So toss me in the bad parent club... He would wear them for a while, and then, loose them.

find one he wants, perhaps sticky j would have one he would like, they are spendy, but perhaps if you give him the choice, he may accually find one he is willing to wear.

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

We also do not make our girl wear her ID. I bought her some pretty ones, and she wears them sometimes, but not always. I also bought some of the tattoos thinking they would be good for things like Disney when she might get lost in a crowd, but that never happened either. Her Omnipod will now identify D if needed.

May I remind you that the technique for time out or the naughty chair is one minute for each year of the child's age, so for a six year old no more than six minutes. There are so many things we have to worry about with D, I thnk you should let this one go.

3. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

J would wear a temp tattoo, and they are pretty obvious. I also have a window sticker in the car where he sits. Other than that, his pump and Dex make it pretty obvious he has a medical condition.
    Since he wears the G4 on the back of his arm and won't wear long sleeves, it's usually pretty obvious.
    Try shoe tags or temp tattoos. He'll probably actually like the tats.

4. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

My daughter does not wear one .. and I have tried .. and will try more when she is older .. but also figure they will know she is T1 with her pump. But ... when we went on long road trip and she was still doing shots I got temporary tatoos .. you can have any info put on them .. your phone number .. simply that he is T1 ... whatever. I also have seen the metal plates you can put on the laces of shoes ... so maybe another option would be better than fighting this battle :)

Crystal

5. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Where do you get the tattoos? i think my daughter would like them

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

7. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I would not worry about medical alert jewelry unless you let your child go off alone without an adult you can have trained. If your child is old enough to go off with friends or alone then set the rules. Medical alert or you don't go. We went through this and my child never questions me once I embarrassed her and said no several times when her alert jewelry was not on or missing until she earned the money to replace lost ones. The way I embarrassed her was by taking her and her friends and following in eye sight the whole time and one time I alerted the medical and police booths at an event. The EMT at the event loved my approach and took my place with walking by and checking on her. She came home and asked for help to find her medical alert necklace. I consider my child collapse diagnoses correctly identified critical for 100 percent recovery. 7 minutes goes fast.

8. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

thought about it last night, would your son rather wear a watch?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/150998942019?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

http://compare.ebay.com/like/151010848357?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

http://www.google.com/#q=diabetes+t...or.r_qf.&fp=f4c29a5afb7d6980&biw=1093&bih=498

perhaps a regular watch with a leather band that he can go out and choose himself, and you can put a charm on the band near the watch.

if its that important to you, keep trying to find a way. Perhaps if his doctor told him he had to wear one, that worked for a while with matt when he was younger. Now at 14, he is a stinker.

9. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Wait, what?

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

LOL! Same here.

11. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

How about a tag on his shoe? You may be able to take apart the bracelet you have and put it on a shoe lace. Some running stores make them or you can order them on line. My neighbor made one at the pet store and wears it on her shoe when she goes for long runs alone (no medical condition just doesn't want to run without identification). Maybe your child would not resist this and it would certainly be more difficult to take off and throw away. :cwds:

12. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

BTW I asked a friend who is an EMT and he said they are trained to look at shoes for medical alerts and identification although it might not be the first place they look (wrist and neck are the first two places checked).

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joretta
    I consider my child collapse diagnoses correctly identified critical for 100 percent recovery. 7 minutes goes fast.
    Wait, what?

------------
    I think she meant it is critical to identify the reason her child collapsed, within 7 minutes of the collapse, or he may not have a 100% recovery. So therefore, she feels it is important to wear an ID that would help the emergency responders know he has type 1 diabetes.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

That is how I read it too. I don't agree with it, but that is how I read it.

15. manda81

manda81 Approved members

If my child (who is now 7) refuses to wear his bracelet/s (we have a bunch of different ones, and the dog tags... )then I put them in the drawer and pick a different battle.

He is never without adult supervision. He's with me, his teacher or the school nurse/aid at all times. If something happens, there is an adult who knows what to do, or what to tell paramedics.

When he's older, and alone, it won't be negotiable. But he will be old enough to understand why as well. There's no need for him to worry about that right now, imo.

16. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I don't know if this has been said since I didn't have time to read all the reponses but my father is an EMT and he said they are a waste of time and money... more emergency responders will not take time to search for a bracelet... they will only read it if they happen to see it.

I have a med alert.... but I don't wear it much instead I have an id card in my wallet with the information (behind my license) so that people might see it when they look for an ID...

Honestly how often is your child away from people who don't know he's diabetic? If you're really worried about it I sugest you make a deal If he wants to go places with out you/people who know he is diabetes then he must wear the bracelet... and honestly at six I doubt it will come up much

17. Jason's mom

Jason's mom Approved members

When Jason was younger, there were times we wanted to be sure he had some sort of ID tag. (different reasons - but same sort of thought) My mom ordered a roll of fabric tape type material that could be printed with whatever we requested. In our case, it was my name and my cell number. I sewed it inside the neck of the shirt he was going to wear. Not as simple as the ID bracelet - but it gave me some peace of mind, and he couldn't take it off. I figured that, in case of an emergency, they'd at least know to call me.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

And... the OP hasn't been back since posting :rolleyes:

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

So since this seems to be "our" thread now, no worry about derailing it: I have to ask, whats with the rasberry ketone's? Or do you just find it funny?

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just found it funny. ;) Later learned that it was a Dr. Oz thing, but I ignore that and still find it goofy:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.