- advertisement -

What Do You Do If Your Child Refuses To Wear Medical ID bracelet?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shiningmom3, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiningmom3

shiningmom3 New Member

I have tried everything to get my 6 year old son to wear his medical ID. He will not wear a necklace and refuses to wear a bracelet even if he picks it out or no matter how "cool" it looks. I take make him wear it in the morning but in school he takes it off and throws it in the garbage. We tried Supernanny's time out or naughty chair (we call it time out). Last weekend, I had him sit at the dinner table until he would wear it but he sat there all weekend Saturday and Sunday and he wasted my day having to watch him sit there. Today I had him stand in a certain place and I stood there until he decided to wear the bracelet and he just scratched me and threw tantrums throwing things and won't clean up.:confused: It has been 5 hours. It's important really that he wears one, and how do you get him to wear it?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Your six year old sat at the dinning table all weekend?:confused:

Is this only around the med ID or is he as stubborn about other things?

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yea, well, we don't wear one so either I'm a horrible parent or you're overreacting.

$0.02

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

My 11 year old has just decided that she doesn't want to wear one either. I can't make her as they 'mysteriously' fall off or get lost. etc

I'm doing my best to find one that she will like and that she will be happy to wear.. and that will stay on...

Pick your battles, and keep trying to find something :cwds:

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I have no idea how you can force him to wear one, but wanted to say we have never even looked into one. Probably a really bad choice, but hoping by the time our son goes into HS we'll find a way to have his T1 D be noticed in case of an emergency.

I would assume everyone your child is in contact with knows he has T1 D right? I do understand your concern, but I would let it be for the time being and approach it at a later time, when he's more willing.:cwds:

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

This is an odd thread for " Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with type 1"

In any case, why on earth would this be cause to make your child sit at the dining room table for a whole weekend? If your weekend was wasted it wasn't because he wasted it, it was because you doled out punishment that you weren't prepared to deal with.

This is a parenting issue. Not a diabetes issue.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Ditto. This is not a hill I'm personally willing to die on. We will revisit the issue once my son starts driving.

And this too.

8. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Moved thread to parents of children area.

9. coeen

coeen Approved members

My 4 year old will wear it for a bit then take it off.
    I ordered type 1 diabetes tatoos somewhere.
    If we go away or to the park I put one on his arm.
    He doesn't mind tatoos. It usually lasts 3-5 days. Depending if he picks at it.
    I don't stress over the medical ID. His pump is his ID for now.

10. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Jared wore one when he was young but refuses to wear one now. We don't push the issue everyone around him knows he has diabetes and if he is alone for some reason he has an insulin pump connected to his body which I would suspect would be a huge clue. Do you anticipate your son being away from you unsupervised? Honestly at his age anyone with him would know he had Diabetes and would point that out. We did get Jared dog tag medical ID made which may work.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

First of all, hello and welcome to CWD. In response to your dilemma, I have to quote Dr. Phil and ask you, after forcing your kid to sit at the dining room table for 2 days, "How's that working out for you?" :rolleyes: As others have said, your kid is 6 and I assume you're not leaving him with anyone that doesn't already know he has D. My advice? This is not a battle worth fighting.

12. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

My son was 1 at dx. It was non-negotiable, and he still wears one as an adult. That said, I'd try rewarding the wearing of one - earning a certain number of stars for each day he wears it in order to earn a prize he really wants....little prizes at first so he really feels rewarded. We did the same thing with getting our son to check his own blood sugar, he didn't want to do it, until he had the opportunity to earn some little action figures. Be creative if possible.

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

how about a shoe tag? or a carabiner type on his waistband?

14. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Have you asked him why he won't wear it? Does he not like the feel of wearing jewlery? I find bracelets and necklaces annoying when being active, as 6 year olds often are. Or does he not like being different? Not want to wear his diabetes on his wrist, so to speak?

15. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Is it because wearing one bothers him and he finds it physically uncomfortable? If so, look for alternative types, backpack/shoe tags, rub on tatoos etc.

Honestly we had issues with this for several years, we tried a couple different ones and dd hated them. We spent good money buying pretty bracelets from Lauren's Hope but she kept taking them off. Then I realized that not only did she not like wearing the medical bracelets but pretty much ANY jewelry. Come to find out it bothered her on a sensory level. Honestly I didn't push it after that. She was ALWAYS with us or someone else trained in her care. So we let it go for a few years.

Then the endo's office offered up some freebies of the silicone type and she tried them. And they didn't bother her a bit so she kept them on finally. I was glad as I knew eventually she wouldn't always be with us. Now she always wears one and recently I bought a half a dozen in different colors, including tie dyed/multi colored so she can switch them out according to her moods.

16. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I agree that he should wear one. I agree that you should ask him why he doesn't want to wear one. But at 6, you're doing what I say, like it or not. At 6 I would say this, " I understand that you don't want to wear it because [fill in the blank] but I'm afraid this is non negotiable. However, I think you deserve a reward for this difficult task. So what would you like as a reward for wearing this ID? You can have it after one month of continuous wear."

This is not a bribe b/c he has to wear it anyway, but a reward for accomplishing a difficult task.

ETA: an actual "medical alert" bracelet is really hard to take off--the clasp is different.

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I think you have to decide if this is a battle worth fighting. What did you accomplish having him sit at the table? Nothing except for the fact that he still hates the ID.

For us, it's always been part of her daily routine, I don't think she even thinks twice about it. But, when she was younger she wasn't too keen. So, we had sneaker tags and zipper pulls. http://www.medicharms.com/cart/ShoeTags.htm

It could be he's stubborn, it could be a sensory thing, or it could just be that he's 6. Work around it. There are many different types of ID's out there, neoprene is good for little kids. These are some cute ones for younger kids http://store.allermates.com/diabetesband.html
    If not, as I mentioned above shoe and coat tags. Tattoos. BUT, I would not punish him for not wearing one. I would talk to him about what he doesn't like and together the two of you can come up with ideas. Then, I would praise him for wearing it, maybe doing a reward chart, give a star for everyday he wears it etc. I WOULD punish for tossing it, for scratching you, throwing tantrums and things. That is unacceptable behavior, diabetes or no diabetes.

18. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Would he wear a silicone bracelet? I can't figure out if the issue is he doesn't like how it feels or if he just wants something to be in control of. Here is a sample of a good silicone bracelet. I would go with a bright red one that says diabetes prominently because the others would tend to be overlooked.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/260828977570?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with this but I really don't think you want to make this a huge issue. There are going to be plenty of other issues with diabetes that are non-negotiable through the years and this is not as important of those are.

At least at every EMS service I have worked for if he is found unconscious or disoriented a BGL will be taken immediately. Generally I get one and while waiting the 5 seconds for the results look for an ID. Sorry, I didn't notice how old your kid was but I have a feeling he is pretty young. Maybe you should come back to this issue when he was driving.

In the interest of full disclosure I don't wear a medical ID probably half of the time. I have a card in my wallet with info on how to access my medical record.

19. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I think this is more a parenting than diabetes issue.

If it were me, I'd think hard about why I wanted my DD to wear one as well as seriously consider whether all my reasons really made sense given her age, activities, etc. This seems like something different parents can come to different conclusions about.

If I decided that I was going to require my DD to wear it, then I would try to understand why she was resisting so much and try to work with her to come up with something that worked, different type of item, rewards, etc., before there being a negative consequence for not wearing it, but I would not rule that out under some circumstances (deliberately throwing it in the trash, for example).

20. buggle

buggle Approved members

When my son was younger, he wore his ID sporadically. We bought him a sports watch that was an ID and he wore that for a while. He never wears an ID anymore and hasn't in a few years. I don't stress about it. I figure with a pump and CGM, EMTs should be able to figure out he has diabetes if we're in an accident or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.