- advertisement -

What do you do for an infected site?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kyleesmom, Jan 11, 2010.

1. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Kylee's CGM site is infected. We pulled it on Friday when it failed after a few hours of errors and ??? and it didnt look any different that the others. It was cleaned the same way we always do, soap and water, Melaluca oil and then Neosporin in the morning and at bed for the next few days. She said it was sore yesterday and today it hurt to sit and lean on it(its on her butt) so when DH and I got home I looked at it and it was rock hard, a little red and had a little pinhead scab. I had her take a bath and when she got out it was weeping so I squeezed it and TONS of blood and pus came out. I squeezed it until nothing else came out then used peroxide on it and put Neosporin and a bandaid over it. I will do the same thing to it in the morning and then tomorrow afternoon if its not looking any better, I will make her an appointment. What do you guys do for site infections? I always wipe the area with alcohol, wash my hands and keep the inserter on the package until I stick it on her.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee just had a cgms site infection...same thing, sensor failed (this is a big clue that there may be an infection going on, even if you can't see it yet..).. It was oozing when I pulled the sensor, something we haven't seen before, and a very large lump underneith. I tried some of our antibiotic cream, it didn't work so I had the dr. call in an oral antibiotic, within 2 days it was completely gone.. she's on the last of the antibiotic.. If its not better tomorrow I'd call and ask for a prescription to be called in, they can turn nasty, and quick.

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'd wait and see what it looks like in the morning.
    One more thing you can do is draw a circle around it with a sharpie. If the redness goes outside the circle, call asap.
    If its not better in the morning and if she feels bad or has a fever--call your dr.
    For now, sounds like you are doing all the right things:cwds:

4. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We have had the same. If it is pus-filled the most likely it is bigger underneath than at the skin, like an iceberg. Watch for a fever, my dd began running a low temp with hers, but generally she will need an antibiotic. With the MRSA infections, they take these seriously especially in diabetics. I would definitely take her in today, just to be safe. If it was a MRSA you want to get the meds started early, they can get difficult to treat over time.

5. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

when we have an infected site i do the same bath, or hot cloth to reslease excess fluid.

I also take a permanent marker and outline the area, this way i can tell weather it is growing or getting smaller.

6. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

We have one right now from the sensor. Typically if you see more irritation underneath the sensor than usual, I yank it, which is what we did last night. We massage the area typically for 20 minutes at a time with a warm/hot washcloth, then neosporin and bandage. Rinse and repeat at least 3x a day.

Not sure what we will do on antibiotic this time. Will call and email them the picture of it (we always take a picture of it immediately with my fingers around it so we can see distinct differences the next day)

7. noa'smom

noa'smom New Member

I'm new to the site--I was just actually scouring the forums looking for information on this very topic. My daughter (now almost 8, diagnosed at 3) has had three pump site infections in the past year. Each on has required hospitalization. I would definately watch for fever and vomiting. We always wash hands, use alcohol pads and IV prep pads and leave the set in the package until right before we put it in. We can't figure out why this keeps happening. Do anyone have any insight? Thanks!