- advertisement -

What do u to treat night time lows?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Arleigh9003, May 4, 2013.

1. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

Woke up at 430 am with a low alarm today.. My sons new dexcom goes off with that sideways down arrow LOW ... So I put a pinch of pancake syrup in a 4 oz bottle of whole milk and had to roll him over (sleeping!) stick the bottle in his mouth and then run out and then give minutes later go back in and do the same thing an so forth .. This went on for an hour bc he kept rolling over.. But his 70 is now 107 and now wondering if I over treated? What do u use? Givin he is a baby. (2years old) so I can use glucose tabs.. He won't "chew " anything when he is half awake and half asleep. And waking him at 430 would be a absolute last resort bc that would make him a mean baby for then rest of the day lol

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  2. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Well my daughter was 9 at dx so I'm not sure for a 2 yr old, but the hospital did give my daughter 12g of milk if she was below 100. The fat in the milk helps keep the BG more stable. If she is below 80 I will give her juice as a 1st choice as it works a bit quicker.

I guess if he is having a low, low then I would give him the juice or if you know he will drink it all real fast dilute it in water.

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

My DD was 5 at dx, so perhaps not relevant and we seldom had low BG at night. Now, if she is low, we give her glucose, if she is below her bedtime target, milk.

4. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

My son was two when diagnosed. We always use the small 14-16 carb Juicy Juice boxes. We just prop him up on our arm, put the straw in his mouth and his sucks it right down. We lay him back down and he stays asleep through the whole thing.

5. skyblufig

skyblufig Approved members

My little guy is 2, too. We use either the small Juicy Juice boxes (15Cbs), Go-Go squeezes (15), or 1/2c kefir (10) diluted with a little water so it's not so thick. We usually just roll him on his side if he isn't already and he drinks it down while he's sleeping [we hold it for him].

Depending on how low he is, I'll suck down 1/3 or 1/2 of the juice or squeeze: if he's less than 70, he gets the whole 15; 80's or 90's, he'll get 10 and it's usually the kefir because the protein helps keep it up the rest of the night. We were on the "under 100, treat with 15" protocol when he was first diagnosed, but at our last endo appt, we decided that shooting for 90-140 is fine.

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

At 2, we used drinking boxes. By a little over 3, though, we made the switch to glucose tabs, day and night. I prefer the small increments, and he will happily chew them in his sleep.

7. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We usually did juice at that age. Or Skittles, perhaps. It's all just a blur anymore. :eek:

Mine have never slept through, though. I get positively green with envy when I hear about kids drinking juice in their sleep. *sigh*

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My younger son was diagnosed at 10 months old. I would sometimes use spoon feeding yogurt in his sleep or juice. If he was really low (below) 70 I would not use yogurt because it would bring him up slow. I don't believe you over treated. Our endo would not consider a 107 high. Especially at that age our endo always wanted them above 100 even during the day. Also, did you do a BG check to confirm he was really 70? We have used the Dexcom since 2009 and have had many times that the BG would be off. At night if they roll onto the sensor giving any pressure to that area it will cause a false low. Sometimes a low from pressure on the sensor will show a sharp drop in 1 hour graph. Also I never correct on Dexcom number. Just last night my son's Dex showed in 200's and he was really 130. Yes, many times it is 'close' but I really don't want to correct when he is not that high. But, if there is no reason to believe he was laying on the sensor I will treat at night for the low going on the Dexcom.
    Sorry, really more info than you wanted.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

that younge i was still doing baby cearal and full sugar jelly. I made it into a paste and spooned it to my 3/4 asleep little one. Litterally a tablespoon was enough.

I would do juice in a bottle not milk the fat and protein will slow down absorption.

prop you little one up and rub the spoon or bottle on the lips, at that young of an age they will usually still open up and start eating/drink without being awake.

10. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

My dd was dx at 19 months old. We have always used juice boxes at night. Now at age 11 I can still stick the straw in her mouth and she will suck the entire thing down in seconds without waking up.

11. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

He went up pretty quick, around an hour later he was 211, so I let it go for 20 more minutes and I corrected him then. I just didnt want to wake him at 4 am!
    I tested him to make sure . Dex and the meter were exact, so that was nice. Just went down quickly so I had to give him something.
    Someone said chocolate milk.. But isn't that way worse to give at night for his teeth?

12. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

It depends on how low. For a mild low I might just turn down basal for a little while. If it was a lower low, I'd give him something to eat. Or you can do a combination.

Have you tried glucose gel? Or jam/jelly was also a good suggestion. Maybe you could squeeze a little of that into his mouth. That's waht I'd try. It's more sugar concentrated than milk with syrup, so you need a lot less volume to get his BG up.

Here's my take on the overtreatment question. If it's just a few hours before wake up time, a little over treating isn't going to be a huge deal; you can correct when he wakes up.

It sounds like you did fine!

13. KylorsMom

KylorsMom Approved members

Our little guy is three and we usually will do a juice box or skittles in the middle of the night. Although we have gotten in the habit of giving him about 8 oz of milk before bed and that has seemed to keep him in range over night. Pixie sticks can work in a pinch but only have a few carbs per stick (can't remember the exact amount but I was surprised at how low it was) The main thing we have been using for lows lately is those squeezable fruit packs. They are super portable and have different flavors (my son doesn't like applesauce but loves the berry ones) and they range from 12-19 carbs depending on the brand. We are trying to get away from the candy a bit because he was eating more candy than we had ever allowed in the house. (he still gets some though :) )

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

What I do now for teeth is pour a 'little' water from a paper cup in their mouth(I don't know how my kids do it.:confused: Maybe they are slightly awake or so used to it. They just swallow)
    so the glucose tabs or juice is slightly rinsed off. I don't give any stuff for lows that can 'stick' to teeth. I can't remember when I started doing this. I don't think I did this when my younger one was very little. Amazing , 13 years for both and only one cavity for older son , none for younger son. They both have sealants. My dentist also did sealants on baby teeth(back ones I think) to help. Insurance did not cover the baby teeth but to me it was worth it.

15. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

we too use the juicy juice boxes for middle of night or very early morning.