- advertisement -

What did you forget to talk to your younge child before D CAMP

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Jul 16, 2013.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

She is 8.5 yrs, and has had DSince before she can remember.

I am not so worried about the D tasks, but more of the everyday things that get you thru without Mom or Dad.

Like, making sure you have everything you need before you get naked and in the shower.

Or

Making sure that you get sunscreen on or have SPF clothing on.

I thought I was OK with all of this, but I Am now worrying that my DD is ill prepared, because WE have done everything for her! And if not doing it for her reminding her to do so many times.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

LOL. My big lecture at that age was on not sharing hairbrushes, bandanas, etc. because I didn't want lice coming home. It turns out that one kid forgot her hairbrush and used everyone else's all week, except my daughter's! She was told by the other kids that she wasn't good at sharing, but she blamed it on me like I'd told her to. The camp thanked me when I wrote it on the evaluation form that the counselor should have stopped it. They hadn't known that it was being allowed, and they didn't want it happening either!

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Your daughter will probably have a great time. It sounds like what you are worried about is not life threatening. What would happen if she wasn't organized when going to the shower? She would have to do without or go back and get her stuff. If she doesn't wear sunscreen, she might get sunburned.

She has to learn some time, and may not end up doing things the way you might, but that is part of the process.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I have to say the camp my kids go to is really good about "mothering" the younger kids. They have reminder signs and sit down and talk to the kids about everything. It seemed they covered every topic under the sun!

I forgot to tell my kids not to throw wet clothes into their bags...eeew!

5. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Well, I didn't forget anything, but after one week I had to send my DD more glucose tabs (a lot;)). It wasn't D camp, so you know who ate them all...? :D

6. Beach bum

Lol, I forgot to tell my kids to bring home everything the went with!

7. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

DD hasn't been to overnight D camp, but she's been to 3 days of overnight church camp and her group was only kids going into 2nd and 3rd grade. The counselors were great about "mothering" and making sure all of the girls had/did what they needed to do. All of DD's stuff came home in one piece and not covered in mud and she had a super time. Her counselor went so far as reading them to sleep each night so they wouldn't be stuck in silence thinking they were the only one still awake and end up anxious or homesick.

8. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Mine is 14 and this is his first time at camp, but not away from home and I'm still worried sick that I forgot to tell him something or give him something that he'll need. I keep giving myself pep talks that he'll be fine. Our camp shows pics of the kids on a website we can browse and that helped me after the first day to see he was out playing having fun and doing just fine without me. :D

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Thats a good one. She might need a mess bag, a week is a long time for wet cloths to sit!

10. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

I'm glad you posted this, because I'm worrying the same thing for my 9 year old, who goes to D camp in 3 weeks. Definitely following along ...

11. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I'm actually a counselor at a D camp, and I can tell you that she will be fine, and have a blast! At least at the camp I'm at, we are very involved in everything. We remind the kids, and have sunscreen and bug spray times together. Remind them to brush teeth and all of that. We are their parents for the week, and we take that role very seriously. :) Try to relax, and enjoy your D vacation.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You are pretty close to us, what camp are you at?

13. rachabetic

Bearskin Meadow Camp. It's in the Kings Canyon National Forest.

14. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

That's encouraging - thanks for answering (and for being a counselor)!

15. rachabetic

Of course. I love it! I get to really see a little bit of how it feels to be a parent to a kid (or 11 kids:p) with D.

16. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I hear ya. It's hard to trust that they'll remember to do everything the way you taught them...because deep down you know they probably won't. :D

Chances are, things will be done somewhat differently at camp than at home, but she'll come home no worse for wear. :)

There are adults there, also. It's not like she'll be out in the woods all by herself. They'll make sure she has bug spray and sunscreen, etc. She'll be just fine. But I completely understand your worry! I worry about stuff like that too. :) Then I blame myself for not teaching him better if things don't go how they should've. :rolleyes:

Camp is so much fun, DS wouldn't miss it for the world! I'm sure your DD will not stop talking about it for months. :)

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I've really got to start wearing my glasses. I keep reading the title as, "What did you forget to talk to your lounge child before D camp?" :p

18. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

My daughter is at camp for her 3rd year and loves it! I told her no boyfriends, no kissing boys:eek: and don't forget to get your new friends' addresses and phone numbers!

19. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I told my daughter to also try to bring everything home that she went to camp with. I put all shower stuff in a pail w/handle so she could just carry it. I didnt stress on brushing teeth, sunscreen, etc. because I figure the counselors probably had certain times the kids did this.
    I did send a care package to my daughter (i wrote a note and told her to share the two items which I bought 9 of to her bunk mates), well when I looked in the box all 18 items were still in there, I was mad. She was so busy and not really paying attention so all the time I put into the package went out the window. Next time I will tell her ahead of time or maybe next time I wont go as crazy with the package.

20. Beach bum

OMG! My daughter had boys asking for her phone number and when she said no they proceeded to ask for email! Lol, she said she doesn't give her info out to strangers!:eek::D