- advertisement -

What can "outsiders" do???

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by Ronin1966, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

What exactly can "outsiders" do to help other people with their diabetic childrens school situations for example?

I am a Type 1 diabetic for a ridicilously long time. What possible help could I or anybody else offer or provide???

2. coldblood676

coldblood676 Approved members

Educate them. My mum and dad came to my school the first day i was diagnosed and had a long chat with my teachers about what diabetes was, how it effect me etc etc and from there those teachers went on to educate my class mates about what to do if i were to pass out or looked dizzy and such.

Education is something that schools need to know about. And its defiantly the first thing they need to know about.

-Luke Saunderson

3. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

The biggest angel in my life was a Type 1 mom on a pump. My son was 27 months when he started his pump and the first day at daycare was ROUGH! Work was crazy busy, everyone at work was dealing with kid issues, the doctors I work with were cranky because everyone had kid issues ( the doctors do not have kids and do not understand), and the daycare was calling every 2-3 hours for me to try to walk them through everything by phone. We had 2 days practice with me present previously, but the first day daycare had to do everything without guidance was not pretty. When Maria (diabetic mom) noticed William's pump, she spent 45 minutes helping, educating and somehow was able to get through in a way that I wasn't!

4. ali4134

ali4134 Approved members

Getting involved in the diabetic runs and events is good too. As adult diabetics I think one of the most important things is to try and be there for younger type 1's who have questions and might be sacred.

My mom did the same as Luke's and educated the teachers and students so they wouldn't be afraid if i had to get a shot and they would understand if I had to eat. One teacher was very mean to me about it though, but my mom and the principal yelled at her and after that she nice as pie about it...lol

5. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

You're not an outsider. You're an insider. That's why you are so valuable! Runs are great, Lord knows we need money to find a cure, but what you have is special. What you can do is become a mentor for families who are newly diagnosed. You have wisdom that only someone with t1d possesses. You can see inside our kids because you have a knowing. I would make sure you are up on all the latest and greatest because equipment and insulin have greatly changed as I'm sure you're aware. Work with an advocate (from the ADA or JDRF) or doctors office and learn how to advocate in a positive way and/or what the needs of the families are. Then put yourself out there. Be prepared for ignorant comments and attitudes. Be prepared to take this personally. You won't want to but you will. Then, work it out. As an advocate, I had to learn to not feel hostile towards the aforementioned comments and attitudes. Don't get me wrong, my blood pressure goes up every now and then but for the most part I am able to separate myself in a way where I can be really effective. It took time. Thank you so much for answering the cries of our parents. God bless!