- advertisement -

what can i eat w/out going high?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by kierbabi09, Aug 2, 2008.

1. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

i am having a really hard time finding things that i can eat without going high. tonight for instance my dad made cheeseburgers on the grill and i had one, and that was all. 2 hours later and i'm 350 and i had just washed my hands so my hands were clean. i'm really beginning to wonder if i don't really have type 1 because A)i'm high all the time , as in 300's more than once a day
    and B) i can eat very little carbs without going high. so i don't know what i can and can't eat anymore. right now i'm on 9 units of lantus and it really is NOT helping. any suggestions??? because i can use all the help i can get.
    here maybe this will help you: my sugars 8/2/08:
    before B: 125 after 322
    before L:250 after 232
    before D:201 after 350

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

The only thing would be carb free food, but you cant live off of that. (ya i know i shouldnt be talking at the moment) Salads, most veggies, meat, cheese, sf jello, sf koolaide/tea, sf gum, sf popcicles, or nuts.

3. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Hey Keirsten, You said you are on Lantus but what about your fast acting insulin? Your insulin to carb ratios need to be adjusted or you need to find out how much more insulin you need to cover certain foods. Fats will require more insulin than food without it.

You should not limit yourself to not eating anything because you are going high. You should be upping your insulin to accomodate the food you are eating.

Based on your am number your lantus dose looks perfect so it is the other insulin that needs to be adjusted.

Please contact your doctor so that they can help you figure this one out. If you are not on insulin for your meals yet you need to get started so you need to contact your doctor.

Tami

4. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

i'm not on any kind of fast acting insulin, although i DO have humalog sitting in my refrigerator. even if i was not on Lantus, my sugars come down on their own by morning. THAT is why i'm not on Humalog. anyways i keep telling my mom that i need Humalog but she won;t listen. her response? "let's wait to see what the doctor says":rolleyes: my mom is going to fax my sugars tomorrow night so they will have them tues. morning. so i hope that they FINALLY decide to put me on Humalog, as i'm just TOO tired from being high all the time :(

5. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

If you're consistently going high after eating carbs, its probably time to start covering them with insulin. Its ridiculous having to restrict your intake like that, you obviously need insulin for the food you eat.