- advertisement -

What can D kids do - 2010

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Darryl, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mom to a sports nut

mom to a sports nut Approved members

Win Athlete of the Year 2 years in a row......while pumping!

2. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Wasn't able to watch the video yesterday while at work so just saw it. Awesome! I'll bet her dad is really proud of her.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  3. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Finished up another year of dance school with a great performance. She loves to dance!

Survived 4th grade from hell. On to 5th and our hopes are high! (new school).

She's learning archery - and she's really good at it! Even has her own bow now. We practice in the backyard...shhh...don't tell the neighbors! ;)

Has become an excellent swimmer due to swimming almost every day. And not having hardly any lows from it! So far at least - crossing fingers.

And she's been sleeping in her own bed all night - so excited about this one! Ever since her seizure (almost 2 years ago) she's been afraid to sleep alone. I have been getting used to walking to her room a couple times a night to check, but it's worth it for her independence! :)

4. MichS

MichS Approved members

I love this thread :D Congratulations to your wonderful kids!

Noah can:
    Play hockey, play piano, wrestle, play soccer and ball, do flips on the trampoline and his latest accomplishment...
    Lead a 1200 lb steer in a 4H show.

Michelle

5. MichS

MichS Approved members

Oh and I almost forgot....he won the Math award and amazing author award in his classroom yesterday - even though he missed 15 days of school this year ;)

6. simom

simom Approved members

Darryl - love this topic - and hope it is an inspiration to newly diagnosed families to know all the things their kids will do WITH diabetes.

Get the game ball at T-ball by catching a high fly
    Get a second degree yellow belt in Kung Fu
    Attend circus camp!
    Go to kindergarten
    Have a best friend.
    Begin to read
    Learn to ride a big-kid bike
    Tell outlandish stories.
    Make people laugh.

7. MA Momma

MA Momma Approved members

This is a great thread and all of you have such amazing kids!
    Wyatt:
    Was voted MVP on his soccer, baseball, and swim teams
    Maintains A's and B's even with some sort of sports practice or game every day
    Can burp the alphabet backwards :eek:
    Taught himself how to play the guitar and drums
    Was named "Best Math Student" out of all the 4th graders at his school
    Can speak French, German, and Spanish
    Has an appetite that rivals that of any teenager
    Has both of his older brothers wrapped around his finger. Lol.

8. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

My D kid plays with a fife and drum corps that does marches and performances multiple times per week. Obviously she can't test in the middle of a march; she just brings small packs of raisins to eat if she gets low.

In two years of marching as a D kid, she has had to eat ONE pack of raisins during a march because she felt low, and she normally ends up her marches at 120 or so. Talk about excellent planning on her part!

And every Thursday night she swing dances for hours on end -- the best part of her week! And somehow she does it while maintaining amazing control of her BS.

She will be going to Connecticut (500 miles away) with her F&D Corps for several days in August -- and I know she can do it while maintaining good control of her D. She's an amazing kids.

Enjoy your little (and not-so-little) ones! :)

9. KrisM2010

KrisM2010 Approved members

Our first post

My daughter celebrated her second birthday last week with a pool party and cake!
    She can recite her ABCs
    Can count to twenty in English & Spanish (thank you Dora!)
    Can sing Kermit's "Rainbow Connection"
    Can swim, run, ride her tricycle and quite frankly (no bias here), is smarter, kinder and more athletic than most two year olds we know.
    AND...she cleans her plate and doesn't bat an eye at finger sticks and shots...we are blessed (right now, at least ;)

10. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Awesome Thread!! :D

- Is a fearless Surfer Girl!! Her surf instructors love her!
    - She has wanted to be doctor since age of 3
    - only girl in class to win Presidential Fitness award! You Go Girl!

Love seeing all the threads!! :D

Lisa

11. Noel

Noel Approved members

Well between my 2 boys with D (this would my my DH & my DS) they have rode over 100 miles on their bicycles in the past 3 weeks.

Watch out Team Type 1.....here comes Aidan :D

They also played 4 games of soccer at the beach....barefoot! This is the 1st year I let them do this, because pumps and sand have ALWAYS equalled disaster for us previously....so this was a big accomplishment for me too....

12. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

Things CWD Can Do

Go canoeing and hiking and mountain climbing and kayaking and manage their blood sugars appropriately (with a little help....).

13. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Get straight A's, play select fastpitch as a star pitcher and amazing 1 baseman, be the only 7th grader to start every varsity basketball game, be selected to play varsity volleyball even though she has never played before. And most importantly she is a really nice teenager!

14. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Wear my diabetes on my arm (literally,) get asked if I have diabetes a million times a day and get asked stupid questions about dabetes twice as much, and still never get frustrated or embarrased. I am who I am and nobody's opinion of me is going to change that.

15. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

John can feel his lows now.
    He can put on his own site on his tummy without a three hour fight.
    He can go to his home school without them telling him he can't do this or that.
    Even though he missed alot of school last year because I didn't trust them when his BG's were all over he is at a level half a year ahead in math and reading.
    He is very athletic even though he isn't into any actual sports yet.

16. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

These are great. It was nice to hear her tell her story. She's a great speaker (and dancer)!

17. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

That's so great! I bet that doing diabetes research will be very rewarding for him.

18. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

THIS is the best post yet :cwds::cwds:. Here's to her 2nd birthday being even better than her friends without D!

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Caro, you must be so proud of Jenny! She sings beautifully and I love her dancing ... I was a bit annoyed when the other dancers came out and blocked my view of her!;)

20. alismom

alismom Approved members

Finish 9th grade with a 97 average.
    Play 3 varsity sports as a freshman and go to sectionals in all three.
    Win rookie of the year in diving.
    Win field event athlete of the year for pole vaulting.
    Go to national competition for cheerleading and win!!!!
    Have her art displayed at an art show.

Most important-be a respectful, respected, well rounded person.