- advertisement -

What age...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TheTestingMom, Jun 5, 2014.

1. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

At what age did your kiddo start inserting their own site? My guy is almost 13, T1D for 4 years. Tells me no-way when I've asked him. There is no pressure on him i was just curious.
    :catchu:

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Late - 8th grade, I think. :)

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Mine did one last year...

LOL, has had no interest since. But, she will be going to D camp for 3 weeks, so I'm sure she'll be doing a few there.

4. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

I'm right there with you. My 13-year-olds have been on pumps 4 and almost 5 yrs, and neither is interested in doing his own sites yet. They do all the initial steps (filling reservoir/cartridge, priming, etc) but no go on the insertion yet. I don't pressure them either, but am beginning to consider bribery :) -- because they are home alone a lot all summer and there have been occasions where a site went bad or they ran out of insulin.

5. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

matt just started a few months ago, at 14. I was shocked, he put in his own set in the middle of the night one night. has done it himself a few times, but prefers us to still do it, which we happily do. I will also add, it was a tiny bit heartbreaking as well.... just a sign he is growing up, and will need me less, which is what is suppose to happen, but tugs at the mom heart non the less.

6. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

DD is 11 and has been inserting her own sites for a few months. She just started pumping in Dec

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

To the OP, generally speaking, and I know that there are exceptions, kids who start pumping young, mine was 6, are more likely to be a bit slow making the leap. Not all, obviously, but many. Fwiw my kid's skin looked better when I was managing her site changes - but it was past time. Mine just did it one day when either waiting for me, or some other factor tipped the balance in favor of just doing it. I'm sure your son will soon take over the job. :cwds:

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I was going to speculate that same thing. My daughter has always done her own sites, but she started her pump at 10. And I'm perfectly certain my 11 year old could do many of the things I do for her - like - I do an awful lot of microwaving. We didn't get a microwave when I was a kid until I was like 9 or 10 and I was microwaving things right away.

9. Justme-Stephanie

Justme-Stephanie Approved members

At our pump start the CDE did her first one, I did the next few after that, we were using Mio's, she hated them!! she cried every time, we switched to quick-sets and now does them by herself manually, she hates the inserter, she always flinches and we have had more bad sites because of this, now she does them manually and has no problems, pumping since April 2014

10. librarylady

librarylady Approved members

My daughter started pumping when she was 8 years old. In the 6 years we have been pumping I have only inserted her site twice (her choice). I think that for her it was much less scary to put it in herself rather than having me do it because she then had a measure of control over the situation. That is just her personality though, this is the same child after all that insisted on singing herself to sleep from the time she was a toddler.

11. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I was really worried that Rachel would never do her own - thought I'd be doing it when she was 20 - always a fuss. We started a star chart - 180 ticks for no fuss pump sites and she could have an ipad.. It really worked - she learnt the process and then when she was away staying with her sister and her site fell out... she had to do her own.. now I'm not allowed near her for sites OR sensors. She also tells me I did them wrong for 7 years :(

12. khannen

khannen Approved members

My daughter asked to learn when she was 9. She wanted to know how so she could change it at a girl scout weekend trip (which I was NOT chaperoning) in case there was an error and a change was needed. She uses the omnipod. She 'practiced' for about a month and did every change in that time with me sitting next to her ready to help out if needed. Now, in the 9 months SINCE that trip? She has changed it perhaps once or twice. ;) I told her to just speak up if she wishes to do it again. I will be happy to continue for as long as she requests.

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Pump start age 12. I helped her with Sils and Mios most of the time, but now she's using the Sure-T and I've never done one. When she wears the pod, I usually fill it just because she doesn't want to bother but she puts it on and finishes the process.

14. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I think I'd be happier if my daughter just let me do it. There's always a lot of stalling, some whining, and sometimes great drama surrounding site changes here. I do the dexcom changes because she likes the back of her arms and that takes some finangling to do yourself. The dexcom insertions are a much more smoother, drama free process.

15. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

DD has done everything up to the Cleo insertion on the pump. She has zero interest in trying. In a pinch, DD would freak out and she wouldn't be able to do it. In fact, she was staying at Grandma's house recently and pulled her site. It took my mom six tries to put in a new one (before other T:Slim users worry about their sites - I don't think it was actually an issue. DD kept insisting they were 'wrong' - she doesn't like Grandma doing it, it was the middle of the night, they had to drive to my house because they only had 4 there, and I think she was reacting to that) and at no point in that process did she want to try it herself. She would have made my mom drive 3 hours to the hospital so I could change it first.

DS wears a pod, which is much easier - you push a button on the PDM and that's it - but he still has us there. He's allergic to the adhesive and he doesn't want to mess up the pre-insertion steps and deal with the skin issues that would result. In a pinch, he would do it, or if DD was around he would have her help out.

Neither has attempted a Dexcom insertion and have zero interest. I do think the design is awkward for self-administration on the back of an arm...so it will probably be awhile. DS would probably be willing to change DD's, but she wouldn't let him. And he would be willing to let her change his, but she wouldn't do it.

16. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

DD, 11 years old, has been pumping for a little over 2 years. No interest in putting her in own site. She wears a contact detach on her arm and bum. In the beginning she put up quite a fuss. I realized quickly, that it wasn't her necessarily giving me drama, it was just her way of take back some control in D world. Let's face it, there isn't much we can "control" when it comes to D life. In her little mind, she could "control" the process of site changes. Thankfully, the drama is no more. She does hate it if I say "Ok I am putting it in."

Last summer, DD ended up staying a few extra days at her BFFs house...3 hours away from home. With the help of a few youtube videos, Skype, I was able to walk the mom through the process of a site change, while DD helped too. It was her first site change that I didn't do!

17. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My DD started pumping at 12. She didn't consistently do her own sites until she was around 16. She always knew how to do them but didn't like to. It wasn't like she fussed over site changes either. She just preferred not to pull the trigger herself. I also think I made site changes really easy on her because I came to her with everything and filled the cartridge and really only needed her attention for a few seconds. I thought diabetes took enough of her time and attention and she was a really busy teenager. I did ask almost every insertion if she wanted to do it, but she always said no.

She's 18 and still doesn't insert Dexcom sensors. I made her do one on her stomach so she knew she could do it if she needed to. But she only wants them on the back of her arms. I've shown her the Diabetic Danica video of self inserting in your arm, but she isn't interested. So she comes home from college when she needs a new sensor. I don't complain. I get to see her at least every two weeks. :wink:

18. Ali

Ali Approved members

FWIW, I can not do CGMS sites on my own on my arms. I just find it hard. Not due to pain or angst, it just for me physically does not work. I hate depending on my hubby to do it, but none of the CGMS systems allow you to inject,tape and hook up on your arms, at least for me, without some help. Maybe one or two locations on the arm... I have tried to use my tummy for most sites so I can do on my own, but my arms are better, but I hate to make my hubby always do it, I have my stuff but he also has his :( Ali

19. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

My eight year old started pumping in April. I think we did the first two insertions and then she has done it since. She uses contact detach sites so it's just manual insertion. She just would prefer to do it herself. It will make you crazy though. She inserts is so slow. You would think quicker would be better and it probably is. That is how she did her injections also, slow and steady. She is begging to do a Dexcom insertion, but we haven't let her becasue she likes the back of her arm and we feel like she can't get a good angle on it.

20. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh did it from the very start. She didn't want anyone else to do it. The only time I actually helped to put in sites was when she first started doing arm sites (she does them on her own now) and when she was hospitalized for a week and couldn't do them on her own. She started pumping at 11.