- advertisement -

We've made it through the first year.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Teacups, May 31, 2011.

1. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Just wanted to share a couple of thoughts as we passed our one year mark on Sunday.

First, I thank God for carrying us through. We had previously lived overseas until 6 mos. before dx. I'm grateful that we were back on home ground and near excellent medical care for ds. I'm also grateful for the insulin that is available for ds.

Second, the first days and weeks were overwhelming. I felt so inadequate and ill-equipped when coming home from the hospital. Many assured me that those feelings would pass and a new normal would come. They were right! We've settled into dealing with diabetes. We feel more capable, more confident. To all the new D parents out there, take hope!

Finally, thanks (again) to those from CWD who've come alongside us newbies and answered our questions and addressed our fears. They were new to us, but probably were the same issues you've helped with again and again as each new parent faced them. Thank you for your patience and willingness to give of yourselves, your experiences.

2. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Those anniversaries are bittersweet. Feels like a milestone. We all learn so much in the first year.

Happy anniversary!!!

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Congratulations on a successful first year of learning, growing, and adapting! For me, the first year was all about surviving...the second year brought the pump and I finally felt like we were gaining some control. Year 3, I've gotten much braver and proactive...learning to refine and tweak.

You will continue to learn and grow...and I'm sure you'll be helping the "newbies" this year, too!:) Hope it is a positive day for you and your child! Not everyone likes to, but we choose to make it a celebration like a second birthday complete with a small present and cake. We call it "Diabetes Day" and it's the one day that having D works FOR my son...he gets stuff because he has D instead of missing out or having to endure because of it.

4. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

That's a neat tradition!

Ds's dx fell on a holiday weekend. So this year we had a "stay-cation" and took a day trip to Myrtle Beach! It was fun for the whole family... so much different than last year when family plans were cancelled.

I'd really like to look into CGMs and pumps this year. So far, ds isn't interested. But I think the CGM would really help especially as he enters his teen years. We'll see what year 2 brings for us!

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We're doing CGM research now, too! Actually posted a thread about it recently, many replied that they think the CGM is even more helpful than the pump. The pump really changed our lives...so I'm excited about what the CGM will do.

Good luck!

6. mph

mph Approved members

Welcome to your second year.:cwds:

In many ways you are smarter and stronger than last year at this time.

Keep going in that direction.;)

7. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

*****like!******