- advertisement -

we're gearing up to cgm

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by frizzyrazzy, May 7, 2010.

1. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Thanks Karla! :D You are the best!! :D

Lisa

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

so, our CGMS has arrived. I'm contemplating sticking a sensor on me tonight, since Ian isn't yet wearing the revel.

suggestions?

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

the sensor inserter is a bit tricky to get use to.. take the clear tape off before pushing the sensor back and 'locking' it in place.. once its in place pull off the other tape (some people leave it on and pull it off after insertion, but I find it easier to take it off first.. ). The inserter is angled with its feet, I tip it back a bit furthar for Kaylee.. pinch up on the skin and push the white button hard.. I find the inserter a little bit of a pain in the ss to use.. but doesn't work well without it. After its inserted I tape the sensor down with paper tape.. you may get bleeding.. I just push on the sensor gently and use a tissue to help stop it.. then I tape.. I take transmitter off the charger before I insert so it has time to figure out its off the charger.. if you take it off the charger and put it right on the sensor it can get confused where it is and cause a sensor error.. once the sensor is in, I turn the sensor on (only if it was off for some reason.. it'll be off for you since its the first time.. ) then I connect, tape it down and then hit new sensor.. you'll get the colored in circle (black) until it 'connects' with the sensor, then it'll turn into a 'tower' or 'martini' glass.. when you first connect the sensor you will see a green light blink 6 times.. that green blinking light means it connected correctly.. from the time of that blinking light it'll take two hours to ask for a calibration.. if you get sensor errors and lost sensor, just hit new sensor again. Sometimes they take longer to get fully 'wet' and ready to communicate with the pump. GOOD LUCK!

4. frizzyrazzy

sweet mother of mercy that insertion hurts.

ok, emla is going to have to arrive. noted.

but it does only hurt for a minute. and then nothing.

5. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Glad you tried it on yourself first. My son is tough but that sensor about did him in!

6. frizzyrazzy

now I wait. I guess I'll be toting around a pump all day tomorrow too. :)

7. Flutterby

Did you go with the 723? Does it come with a clip that you can slide it into and then clip to your pants? The 522s came with it but wonder if the 7 series does..It'll definitely be interesting to see what your data shows.

8. frizzyrazzy

oh yes, it does come with a clip. I'm just unskilled in pump toting so I don't know if 1) I could pull it off and 2) if it would bug Ian that I had it on. LOL.

9. Flutterby

I wear the guardian when we are out.. just clip it to my pocket or my waste.. Does Ian know you have the sensor on? If you are going to be home most of the day you can just leave it on the table/desk instead of having to lug it around.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Did you think so? It's quite interesting; I don't usually feel much pain at all from CGM insertions. The needle is BIG, but I just feel a kind of "thunk". Where did you insert it? I usually do arms and thighs. It only hurts me a lot when I hit muscle.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I've only inserted one in myself, but I found it virtually painless. I did it in my stomach, and I do have plenty of "fluff" there, however. ;)

12. frizzyrazzy

I let dh do stomach and holy crap it hurt and it still stings today. I wonder if we hit muscle? We didn't pinch up - and I have plenty of pinchable places lol.

now, here's my issue - all night I was getting weak signal - even if the pump was 18" away from me (sitting on the couch, pump on the end table - lying in bed, pump on the nightstand) so finally I had to sleep with it and then at one point during the night I lost it too (I was hunting around the bed for the loose pump and dh thought I was getting frisky lol)

so...what's that all about??

13. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Hey, good luck with the CGM Michelle!

Jacob doesn't complain about the insertion, but then he is tough as hell. I've seen him getting an IV inserted when they couldn't find a vein and they were just digging around in his hand. I got the willies watching it. He didn't even bat an eye.

One thing though; Jacob seems to think it helps to slap the site prior to insertion. He says it fools his brain into thinking about the sensation from the slapping so he can't feel the insertion. It could be the placebo effect, but hey, it works for him.

14. jules12

jules12 Approved members

My son is very very thin - we have had trouble with weak signal if I put the sensor in a place without a lot of fluid or hit muscle....then we will get weak signal a lot - this was also in the beginning when I wasn't as sure about inserting. It eventually got better the longer the sensor was in. This can also happen if you are laying on our site but not all the time. I usually just turn him over or pull his arm out so he is not putting pressure on it.

I do pinch up on him when I insert the sensor.

15. Flutterby

Sometimes we get weak signals when its on Kaylee too, they usually don't last long and then when it picks it up it'll download all the information you didn't see when there was a weak signal. I don't know why it happens generally we have really good range, furthar than what MM says, but sometimes we do get these weird weak signals when its really close.

Other than the weak signals, hows it going?

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My NP at the endo office wears it the MM as her main CGM and and she said even for an adult it really hurt. She has worn the Dexcom for a short time too. I plan on one day trying the MM for my younger son. Plan on using emla.

17. frizzyrazzy

I took it off last night - but overall it was very cool to be able to watch my BG. I can't even imagine what it's going to be like when I get it on Ian. HIm seeing me wear it, and seeing my bg any time he wanted was a HUGE help to him. I could see him being a lot less afraid.

I wonder if my weak sensor issues was related to insertion into muscle or not enough fat. DH told me that initially it did not insert all the way and he had to help it along (I was too busy hitting the roof to notice this) and when we pulled out the sensor it was all bendy in weird looking ways. I feel bruised there today.

so, poor insertion? was that my trouble?

18. Flutterby

Definitely.. if you hit muscle your readings won't be as good.. sometimes we get a curvy sensors when we pull them out. And the pain is probably from hitting muscle and then Jim having to push it the rest of the way in.

19. frizzyrazzy

curiously, my readings were spot on with the meter. within a few points every time.

20. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I think you are going to love it - have you tried downloading the info to carelink? Wait until you see those reports!!!!