- advertisement -

Weoght Loss and celiac?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by zapsmom, Feb 29, 2012.

1. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

My Dd is having a rough month. Her sugar levels are over the place and she has lost 11 lbs in a month. I have been talking to the endo who had me bring her in today for some extra blood work, one of them being for celiac.She has no signs of celiac, that I can think of. My DH has celaic(dx'd a year ago in Jan'11.)Before he was dx'd, he had sevre stomach pain and bath issues, headaches, fatigue. He started to loss weight due to the bathroom issues he was having. My DD doesn't have these issues, just sugar levels that are all over the place and the weight loss. She was tested back in Jan'11 and May'11. In Jan, levels were a 26 and may it was down to 9. So can celiac come on that fast?

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Yes, we had negative tests and then one year postive. Our first postive was in the gray area (27, negative being under 20 and positive being over 30.. it all depends on what levels your lab is using).. my daughter didn't lose weight but she wasn't gaining either.. she may not have been loosing because she really had nothing to lose. We didn't notice any symptoms until AFTER she was dx and went gluten free then things changed and we realized that some of those things WERE celiac related.. one of those things being wacky blood sugar numbers, out of the blue lows.

3. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

Thank you...this does help me. I know that there was(if this makes sense) three test under the celiac panel that they were doing. I can't remember what they were. The last two times it was one blood test which said celiac for the blood test. I know that they also tested her cortisol, Iga, sodium and some other one. So I hope that we get eh results soon then.

4. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

We had a similar experience -- asymptomatic before, but a definite "clearing" of issues he didn't realize he had (like a "brain fog", muddled thoughts, unexplained lows, low energy, etc.)

After he was GF for three months, he got glutenized through cross contamination. Wow... did he EVER have common symptoms then. Ugh, ugh, ugh!

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I see she's already being treated for hypothyroidism- is it possible the dose is off and she's thryotoxic?
    Thyrotoxicity means having too much thyroid hormone for any reason as opposed to hyperthyroidism which is having too much thyroid hormone because the thyroid is making too much. Thyrotoxicity from any cause can cause rapid and extreme weight loss, sometimes before other signs. When I was thyrotoxic I lost roughly 20% of my weight.

6. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

HMMMM, this makes sense to me as well. Not sure if she is or not but I do know that htey did test her tyroid levels yesterday. She is lossing about a 1 1/2 lbs/day right now. So what can do done if it is thyrotoxicity?

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

High blood sugars will cause weight loss as well!

8. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

Well, her blood test came back postive for celiac! We wait now to see the specailist for the scope. As well as, Thank you Lanusfied. You were correct as well about the thyroid med being too high. Her thyroid was off and her med was too high. So her med has been reduced. The endo thinks that the thyroid is just a bit of the problem and it is more likey the weight loss is cause of the possibly of celiac since she tested postive. So thank you everyone for your advice. It did help me alot!