- advertisement -

Went to a Health & Fitness Expo and had some 'interesting' moments!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa - Aidan's mom, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Yesterday we went to a huge Health & Fitness Expo at MetLife Stadium. The main reason we went was so DS could do a meet & greet with the New York Giants football players, view the locker room and other football related activities.

There were many exhibits and stations. I was having my BMI checked and DS went with my husband to the blood glucose monitoring table. I had Dexcom with me and I knew he was around 88. I asked him what his number was and he said 79 and that the nurse said if he continued to eat properly and exercise he would reduce his chance of developing diabetes, lol (mind you, he did not disclose that he is Type 1, so I let that slide of course).

Samples of healthy food were being offering. I thought it was interesting that gluten free quinoa chocolate chip cookies were on the same tray as whole wheat pita chips (not whole 'grain', whole wheat), hmmm. Not sure who decided to set up the food allergy awareness table next to the organic, natural peanut butter table, either.

The nice lady at the American Diabetes Association table gave both my kids a t-shirt and those rubbery awareness bracelets. I said thank you and told her DS has Type 1. She said oh, he doesn't look like he has diabetes. That's good, I don't want him to look like he has that nasty disease.

So in the end, Aidan got a bunch of selfies with Giant players and got lots of high fives and fist bumps and a bunch of autographs that he showed his friends. For him, it was a good day and that's all that matters.

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Glad you had a great day. Sounds like fun. :). I'm surprised, although I shouldn't be, that even health care workers don't know that much about type 1. I knew very little before dx so I try to be understanding, but a few months ago we ran into a lady who was a nurse for many years who had some misunderstandings about some very basic differences between type 1 and 2. It's like the rest of the world thinks about type 2 as "real" diabetes. Interesting.

Sometimes I go somewhere with 3 kids (all boys) and people make comments about how busy i must be...I smile and nod and don't tell them I actually have 5 boys. I've seen enough eye popping to last a lifetime. I don't want to give away all my secrets. :)

I wonder what an exchange with the lady who made the comment about reducing he chance of diabetes would've been like. ;). Sometimes it's ok to just not correct people.

3. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

I hear you, I very rarely correct/inform people.

My friend/former neighbor has 5 kids also; the oldest has D and the others have every food allergy you can think of. She's always cooking different meals and carries all the D supplies, epi-pens, etc. whenever she goes out. I admire how moms of large families just chug along!

4. Brhodes

Brhodes Approved members

Huh? Last place I would expect that kind of ignorance would be at the ADA table.