- advertisement -

Went through 3 pods this evening.....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Dec 3, 2013.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

We were due 2 from last month that they said they were going to ship out to us and we never received them and when I asked them last night at first she said they were shipped but then corrected herself. :rolleyes: So hopefully we should be receiving 5 in the next week or so.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

We must be lucky or maybe it's the time of day I call but I never get a rude, overly questioning, CSR. Yes, they ask some of the same questions every time and I get that. They have a script I assume based on the complaint. The questions have changed a bit over time but I also assume it's because they are looking for answers as well. I can't recall ever being made to feel like it was our fault.

3. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I have never had anyone over question either, but sometimes the call takes a while because they want me to look for the alarm code etc. Even when it was due to overfilling because I forgot to tell my husband that I read about it here, they didn't try to make that our fault. Cause it wasn't, and I would have told them so.
    The other day my husband was changing one and it never inserted, just started alarming. I told him to call it in this time, I usually am the one to do the calling. He was off the phone in no time. Said the guy didn't want to keep him on the phone long. I told him good, then you can call them in every time then!
    Reading about these leaking issues is scary, but it is good to be prepared and if it happens to us, we will surely call. I assume that people that get more pods than we do may not bother to call, but I had to pay cash for an extra box so there is no chance that I will just not bother to call. I needed the extra box as a cushion and don't want to have to do it again!

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

I never said anyone was rude, however the questions can be frustrating at times because they should be able to look back at the records to see how long we've been at this. A new user is one thing, but someone that's been doing this every 3 days for the last 5 years probably knows more than the CSR person themselves. And quite frankly, I find that asking me what my son's BG was before 3 pods refused to fill is a bit odd. ;)

5. Wren

Wren Approved members

I don't think they are asking just so they can offer advice. I once called in 8 pods at 1:30 am. For each pod, we went through various sets of questions. It was clear that she was switching between screens so that she could enter the data I such a way that my answers could be linked to the pod I was sending in. Things could change over time. DD has been known to put a pod on a weird place even though we usually don't. If you report a pod with no alarm but high bgs, they go through a series of questions that starts with getting the bg. After hours of asking the same questions, maybe she just slipped?

Anyway - it is frustrating. I sometimes fantasize about having a diabetes butler, who would make just this sort of call.

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

This is my impression as well. They ask a few questions, but I've never had anyone give me any suggestions. We all have to remember that while we may have some emotion tied to these problems, cs reps do not. I don't believe any of them are sitting there calling us liars in their heads and thinking up questions on their own.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well, the bottom line is that they seem to have some serious issues with their product and asking a customer that has been using said product for 5 years what my son's BG was prior to filling 3 pods that wouldn't fill is ridiculous to me. Maybe part of their problem is that they're not listening to the actual complaint but rather reading a prompt from a computer screen.

8. swellman

You seem obsessed with this one question. I know I don't know why they asked but I feel pretty comfortable assuming it's because they we told to for some reason - perhaps gathering data.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

It was the reason for this whole thread - I was questioning why they asked it. So I'm not obsessed, just bringing it back to the topic of the thread.

ETA: And what data can be gained by asking what a BG was prior to filling a pod? :confused:

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Medtronic asks that on every single customer service call. Perhaps they're making sure that BGs are terribly out of range because of pump issues?

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

In this instance, we were filling a pod (or 3 of them ;) ) that at the time wasn't attached to his body so his BG had no bearing on the issue.

In any event, it is what it is. Hopefully they will mail these ones as I never received the 2 I called in back in October.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I've always thought they ask what BG is (like a prior poster said, MM always does it too) for one of two reasons: (1) if it's super high, they might suggest that you seek medical assistance; or (2) they have to keep some sort of stats for the FDA on pump problems that lead to high BG. Neither one makes a whole ton of sense, but it's all I've been able to come up with.

13. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I remember when my meter was going wonky I was asked what my bg's were and if when it was having issues if I was high or low. I'm in canada and the woman I talked to was in the US. She wouldn't replace my meter even though I was having issues and then she went on to tell me that If I had a low or a high bg that I couldn't control myself to go to emergency. She also asked if, in the past, I had a "diabetic emergency" because of my meter. It was a very odd conversation.

Whatever happened to genuinely nice and friendly customer service reps who didn't read off a paper?

14. swellman

I always assumed it was an "adverse event" datum. I have been asked on several calls if the problem I was calling about resulted in, and I'm paraphrasing here, abnormal BGs.

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

And that would make some sort of sense. ;) But in our instance (and this is where they need to start listening to customers and stop reading from their computer screen) I said it was a REGULAR pod change and our issue was three pods (from a new box I might add) that refused to fill. So asking about his BG made no sense at all.

16. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

With 3 pods that refused to fill, it would have been a longer time without insulin than normal, so it makes sense to me that they wanted to document it. I have been asked the question before as well a couple of times. I have found Insulet to have the best customer service overall over the years. Metronic seemed to always be trying to find the customer responsible for the problems, even after years of using the pump. For that reason, I seriously doubt that she will ever use a Metronic product again.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think this can be put down to them not wanting their CSRs to make the call about whether it's an appropriate situation to ask about BG or not. ;) I'm pretty sure I've had Accu-Chek ask what his last BG was when I've called to have them replace our Multi-Clix. I always say 104. :p

18. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I think this is probably it. The FDA requires reporting of adverse events and companies may ask about BG in an effort to have a system in place designed to comply with those requirements--even if much of the time the reporting obligation is not triggered.

19. caspi

caspi Approved members

And today we had a PDM error, resulting in another pod change. Really?!

ETA: If anyone ever has a PDM error that says to call Insulet, you can simply reset the PDM first yourself by putting a paper clip in the hole in the battery compartment. Then call Insulet to advise them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013