- advertisement -

We'll be pumping soon with the Pod!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by maciasfamily, May 23, 2012.

1. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

The doctor is going to fast track us through to the class for the pump!! We should hopefully be pumping in 2-3 wks!

Our son's numbers have been all over the place and it seems he needs an in between amount not handled by the .5 increments (he usually only takes .5 at breakfast/dinner, but seems to need just a little bit more, and 1 unit is too much). So she suggested we start using diluted insulin now, and then move him to the Pod using diluted insulin once we get it.

I have an OmniPod rep coming over tonight to do a live demo. And then we should have a class or meet with the CDE's next week and then order the pump.

We need a party smily! :D

Let's hope OmniPod can figure out our dual insurance and how to get it ordered...

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Congratulations! Hope you love it! :)

I suspect that you won't need diluted insulin once you move to the pod. I'd try the Pod without diluting first and see how it goes.

3. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Yay! Ds13 been Podding since September and it really does make life easier for us. We had a rocky start, but things settled down. So if it seems like a rough transition at times, hang in there!

4. rjokeefe74

rjokeefe74 New Member

Pumping changed our life

My son has been on the pump for 2 years and made a hugh difference in our life. I want to give you a couple of pointers about using the omni pod (my son is on it he is 6 now).
    1. Static is the enemy, any type of static will cause the pump to fail
    buy static guard and spray is cloths in the morning
    2. There is a wedsite called Bands for life, is owned my a woman who's son has diabetes. She makes special bands for the omni pod. if you want have your son where his pod on his arm i highly suggest visiting the website.
    3. Ask the rep when she comes to your house when they are going to release the smaller pod. (When it comes to our little guys they dont have alot of surface area.
    4. Also the rep is going to tell you to use alcohol wipe for the skin before you put the pump on....dont, use a product called skin prep.

My son has been wearing the Omni Pod for over 2 years and he goes swimming in the ocean and pool, he plays soccer, basketball and karate. He does all these things and never takes his pump off. The Omni pump helped me give my son the life I wanted to give him. Diabetes sucks but the Omni Pod makes it better.

Joel

5. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Why not?:confused:

6. maciasfamily

Thank you for these tips! I did hear the alcohol causes dryness, etc, so I was planning to just soap/water the area we put the Pod. I did get some of the skin prep so I'll use that instead.

The CDE is doing a one on one for the 'pump' class on Wednesday so I'm so excited!

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Static does knock out the pods, but I've found it to be only really, really bad static. Everyday get-zapped-by-the-lightswitch static never knocked out our pods.

Alcohol is fine for some people. We always change after a shower, but if not, I do clean the area with alcohol. Hopefully your son won't be prone to site infections, but some people are. It doesn't hurt to have it clean.

The adhesive we use is liquid Skin Tac. Both Skin Prep and IV Prep were useless to us, but others use it with no problems. We switch to Mastisol in the summer for extra holding power.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son changes his pod after showering so the area is clean and the old one comes off easily. We used to use Skin Tac to keep it down but haven't had to for quite some time now (he wears his pods on his legs). We wrap his legs with vetwrap when he's playing sports.

We had some issues with static this past winter that were alleviated by rubbing a Bounce dryer sheet over the clothes in the pod area and drying all his clothes in Bounce. Bounce became our best friend. :) (ETA as Amy mentioned above, it wasn't everyday zapping static but the heavy duty kind, if that makes any sense, lol.)

If you get an answer on the smaller pods, please share. ;) Their release date seems to be the biggest kept secret in pump-land. :p

Good luck and remember we're all here for you if you have any questions!!

9. maciasfamily

Thank you so much! The rep came over last night and I didn't even think to ask when they're coming out! I am like you, and keep hearing this summer, but it seems they've been saying that for a long time.

I did ask can't you make these pods in any other color! It needs to be fun for the kids to wear!

10. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

My daughter Emily had her saline POD start tonight and starts with insulin next week. We did ask the rep and she said they are holding their breath and expect the FDA to approve it any day now. But because it hasn't been approved they can't give a release date yet. Which I understand, but even a "expect 2mo post approval" would have been nice. Sigh...

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I read on here a couple days ago that they're now saying late this year for the smaller pods.

12. maciasfamily

I'm not holding my breath. When it arrives, great. Until then I will enjoy the one we have.

BTW, our OmniPod arrived yesterday. Because of an insurance issue, we have to wait a few wks before using it...to make sure insurance approves it through the DME. We're scheduled for 7/12 to go live with saline, and hoping it may be earlier if possible.

I'll keep you all posted!