- advertisement -

Weird Sick Day

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rgcainmd, Jun 1, 2014.

1. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Tiki woke up on Friday morning and proceeded to vomit. A lot. It was clear that nothing she ate for dinner or snack the night before had even made its way into her small intestine. She continued vomiting (which became dry heaving) throughout the morning and afternoon. Nothing, not even water or Zofran, stayed down for long. Here's the weird part. Her BGs were PERFECT: I mean hovering between about 98 and 115 all day long. At first I thought her Dexcom had gotten stuck or something because I've never seen such a beautiful flat line. But frequent fingersticks confirmed that her BG was in fact remaining at a nice, steady number. By dinnertime, she stopped throwing up and asked for (of all things) avocados with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. It's the only thing that sounded good to her. She ate one and drank some water and everything seemed to be staying put. About a half hour later her BG was still at about 105 and she was still hungry, so she ate two more avocados and drank some more water. Well, her tummy wasn't ready for that much food, and it all came up with a mad, green vengeance. I almost brought in a Catholic priest. While I sat around waiting for her head to turn 180 degrees on her torso, I checked her BG; you guessed it: perfect at 103. Up until this time, the only insulin she had had was 7 units of Lantus at about 9:30 p.m. the night before. I gave her the usual 7 units of Lantus again that evening and she went to sleep. Her Dex didn't vibrate once overnight and when I checked it in the a.m., I saw another beautiful flat line. It gets even weirder. Tiki was no longer vomiting on Saturday and she was having bites here and there throughout the day of applesauce, rocky road ice cream, bananas, and (believe it or not) Joe-Joe potatoes from the deli. I never once saw her BG rise above 115 (and there were no lows) so I didn't give her any fast-acting insulin. Another 7 unit dose of Lantus last night and another uneventful night. (She usually runs high enough to set off her Dex like clockwork every night at midnight.) The only thing that sounded good to her for (late) breakfast this morning was turkey bacon; no carbs, so no rapid release insulin. She was feeling well enough to start hanging out with her best friend. Tiki phoned me at 1:00 p.m. to ask permission to go to the mall with her friend, his sister, and his mother. I gave her some money and sent her on her way with her "diabetes purse." This sickness, what I assume was a GI virus, made her BGs behave in a strange way. Whenever Tiki's has had sick days in the past, she's always run high (around 190s to 280s) regardless of whether she was eating as usual or vomiting. T1D sure does like to keep us guessing!

2. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

Vomiting always led to "perfect" numbers for us too. The reason is due to the fact that the body is not processing much or any of the food or drink they are able to get down, so the blood sugars stay steady. I found it lasted several days for us, even after the vomiting subsided, for the body to return to "normal", whatever that is lol!

3. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Watch for lows in the coming days. Phillip is usually good while he's sick, but the days after he's always very low. The last time he got a GI bug he didn't bolus for food for nearly two weeks. And he was still running a little low.

4. shannong

shannong Approved members

Yep, stomach illness leads to perfect numbers for my son too. He was sick once for an entire week with a stomach flu and stayed in perfect (almost non-diabetic) range for an entire week.

5. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

My DD's BG stayed perfect when she had a tummy bug and then we fought off day time super lows (like 100g of carbs unbolused for and still wouldn't go above 85, kind of super lows) and then she would sky rocket at night to 300+ and she was nearly impossible to get to come down. It was a rough week!

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You will learn that anything increasing intestinal movement, IE: diarrhea or antibiotic use because absorption of carbs can be nill. Tummy bug can also have the same effect.

What I always find strange are the times that BG goes low and you back off insulin and they are just a little bit off, not outwardly sick but BG is normal if not low and they have moderate to high blood ketones. That situation I am just always waiting for the other shoe to drop and them get worse and start vomiting or get diarrhea.

After a real stomach bug I would say BG always stays lower for a good week or two until they rebuild all of the good digestive bacteria.