- advertisement -

Weird Night

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rgcainmd, Nov 16, 2015.

1. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

DD's G5 decided to stop functioning some time after we went to sleep last night. For some reason, I didn't get "No Signal" alerts on my iPhone, so I had no clue this had occurred. I was sleeping like a log, probably one of the longest stretches of uninterrupted sleep I've had since DD's diagnosis (with the exception of diabetes camp) and likely would have slept through the entire night had our puppy not started freaking the heck out because my daughter's blood sugar was 380-something (thank you, puberty.) As I mentioned on another post, this puppy, who has never received DAD training, has become an on-again off-again alert dog, despite the fact that we are failing miserably in potty training her. I assumed that DD's sensor had died because it was over 10 days old. So I put in another sensor and clicked in the transmitter and tried to start the new session. No luck; the Share app on DD's iPhone said (if memory serves) "No Signal". I called the helpful folks at Dexcom. The rep had my daughter do a soft-reset on her phone (we don't use her receiver but keep it as a back-up in the event something happens to DD's iPhone) but this didn't help. I'm not sure why he wanted to stop trouble-shooting at this point, but he said that the problem was with the transmitter. As luck would have it, I don't have another transmitter; our cheap-a$$ insurance company sent us only one G5 transmitter and the partially used G4 transmitter that I had been keeping as a backup was already packaged up and awaiting a trip to the Post Office so I could post it to a T1D mom in New Zealand (where the OOP cost for one transmitter exceeds my monthly malpractice insurance payment). I started a slow-motion pre-panic when the rep informed me that he had no idea when they would be able to Fed-Ex us a new transmitter as demand and pre-orders were still exceeding supply. It was then he suggested trying to reload the app but he didn't think it would make a difference, and he said goodbye along with a promise to do his best with getting us a new transmitter some time in the future. Now comes the weird part. My daughter reloaded her Share app and low and effing behold, about 15 minutes later everything's up and running. The even weirder part is that (cue Twilight Zone music and imagine, if you will, Rod Serling narrating the following) "it skipped the 2-hour start-up." Now remember that I had put in a new sensor prior to clipping in the supposedly non-functional transmitter. Recall that even after re-starting a session after day 7 using the "old" sensor, you have to wait for two hours as if you had placed a whole new sensor instead of cheaping-out and trying to wring every possible ounce of life out of the existing sensor like we do.

Go figure!

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Weird. I'll be curious to know if it keeps working. Maybe they will still send a new transmitter, then you will have a back up in case something happens.

Good luck.

3. rgcainmd

As of 1:24 p.m. PST today, that sucker is working and is accurate! Funny thing is, my daughter's BGs have been ridunkulously high for the past week or so (probably due to growth and/or puberty hormones) despite me rage-bolusing with up to 2.5 times the usual amount of insulin, and all of a sudden, she's practically flat-lining it in the 95 to 115 range (confirmed by fingersticks). We MUST be in the T1D Twilight Zone...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  4. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

LOL! That's funny! I think we are too. Last week we were fighting LOWS...starting yesterday we are fighting HIGHS. Stubborn highs that won't come down. Checked for ketones and there were none. Ripped out site, reconnected and started correcting again. (Site looked fine, not kinked at all. Huh?) The numbers are painfully starting to come down. Now we are getting the ??? on the Vibe and the extra Dexcom receiver that we turned on. We have NEVER gotten the ??? before. I feel like something weird is definitely happening... :confused:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  5. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Wanna hear even weirder things? Our G4 kept giving ??? multiple times during 2 hour set-up and so I called Dex at 7:30 pm. I had to talk to 3 people, send in data, and then finally they decided to send a new G4. The next morning Fedex rings my doorbell at 9am and presents the new G4 and complimentary sensor. How is that humanly possible. Perhaps a super sonic speed jet. Or maybe they have drones.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  6. rgcainmd

Yep, tell me about it! After the rep. told me he didn't know when they might be able to get me another G5 transmitter, there's two Fed Ex packages at my office today: 2 replacement sensors and a G5 transmitter. Not that I'm complaining!!!

7. suej

suej Approved members

Very weird to skip 2 hour warm up, mind boggles......I wonder if you can replicate that? And I hope rgcainmed, readings stay in the twilight zone.

ForHisglory and DiabetisMama, we have also been plagued by ???, in and out of start up period. And in the middle of perfect traces boom ???. It is possible that as dexcom expands and production lines under pressure (has moved into a lot of new markets) there may be problems with quality control?

Though beginning to think that I am some kind of dexcom klutz

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

We have successfully switched a sensor without "stopping/starting" the receiver several times. The receiver doesn't "know" about the switch.

9. suej

suej Approved members

What exactly do you do?

10. njswede

njswede Approved members

You'd have to switch before it expires, I'm assuming.

I really wouldn't recommend this, though. The warmup and initial calibration is there for a reason. Different sensors may vary slightly in electrical resistance, sensitivity and what not. The two hour warmup is there so the algorithm can "get used to" the new sensor and set up its parameters accordingly.

11. swellman

Just switch it out. If it's tracking we do nothing. If it's off we STOP/START. We don't necessarily rely on it under those situations. You just have to be mindful that it could be off.

12. suej

suej Approved members

Swellman, that is fascinating. So if sensor dies in the middle of a sensor session, site new sensor, pop transmitter off old sensor, wipe it, allow to dry and put it on new sensor. Does receiver go out of range for a while or what? If I leave receiver on and don't stop session usually I get a sensor failed after I have taken transmitter off while doing the new sensor. And what do the readings usually do in the first 2 hours?

13. swellman

If you do it quickly enough there's usually no indication. Sometimes we get a ???. Most of the time it's really close. I wouldn't do this when it's terribly critical like overnight. I just depends on how much of the 7 days are left and if it's convenient and low risk.