- advertisement -

Weird Dexcom Calibration

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by funnygrl, Jul 1, 2014.

1. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Dexcom said 153 with the gradual up arrow. Tested my bg. 156. I calibrated. The number on the Dexcom changed to 143 with a gradual up arrow. Why would it go down when I calibrated to a slightly higher number?

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Ours always does weird stuff like that - something about the algorithm and it knew it should be behind the blood bg ( time lag) so dropped back knowing it was rising..
    very very clever this technology

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

I think it's taking into account that there is supposed to be lag time on the dexcom. That number displayed, (153 with an up) theoretically, should match up with what your finger stick bg was about 15 minutes ago. So, when it re-calibrated to a lower number, it was just taking into account that if you're 156 now by finger stick, about 15 minutes ago you were probably in the area of 143, not 153.

Or it's magical stuff that I don't understand. ;)

4. funnygrl

This is kind of along the lines of what I was thinking.

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Our dex rep said something along these lines when DD started CGMing...

I am not sure I would have calibrated a 3 point difference between the dex to the meter. Do others calibrate when it is that close? :confused:

6. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

If he does a fingerstick we generally calibrate regardless, taking advantage of the data point when it comes our way.

7. funnygrl

I've mainly by sticking with my Medtronic calibration habits- calibrate when steady, try and get blood sugars across the spectrum. Seems I can calibrate when less steady and more often with the Dexcom, though. I'm on day 11 of this sensor and my accuracy seems to be sinking.