- advertisement -

Weird BG post stomach bug

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Debdebdebby13, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I know this subject has been asked to death so bear with me.

My DD had a stomach bug on Thursday. She never threw up, but she said she felt sick all night (Weds into Thurs) and she felt pretty sick that morning, but it mostly faded away over the course of the day. She ate a few times and once she got to feeling sick again, so I'm sure she had a bug, she just didn't have enough food in her stomach when it hit to actually make her sick. All three nights since then she's been skyhigh, like 300+ and difficult to bring down. During the day Friday and Saturday she was normal BG wise. Friday she ate pretty lightly and had a couple of mild lows, but Saturday she ate normally and we bolused normally more or less. Today she has been bordering on low ALL day. She woke up high (222), we corrected and she ate breakfast, cereal which usually leaves her high, so I gave her a little bit bigger bolus that her carb ratio would equal, like 1/3 of a unit more, nothing significant.

Since then she has been between 65-75, like, since 10:30 this morning and it's now nearly 6:30p. She's had about a cup and a half of orange juice, 6 glucose tabs, 3/4c of coke, a few bites of pizza crust (she ate all the toppings but didn't want the crust), a fun size m&m pack and a cinnamon roll. We had small group at church, thus the eating like crap. We have give her NO insulin for any of this, most of it was in the name of bringing up her blood sugar, which didn't happen. So she's had probably 100 carbs and no insulin.

I know the intestines don't absorb carbs well after a stomach bug which leads to low blood sugar, but can they not absorb any at all? And why was she fine and even running high for the first two days post illness?

Hey, she just hit 80, it's a miracle!

ETA: She hasn't had diarrhea at all, and at this point I haven't decreased basal because I keep expecting her to skyrocket to 350 like she's done the last couple of days, today is the first day of constant lows.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It sounds like she's over the sickness part that caused the high BGs and now her absorption is affected. I'd lower the basals if you keep seeing lows and set your Dexcom to a lower high alert so that you see when you need to change it. I'd be cautious, too, with bolusing and either eat free or 1/2 basal or whatever until you see her needing more. It can take 2 weeks or more to get back to normal (whatever that is).

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I'd say we usually see it like that with a stomach bug-- other than lows while throwing up the lows tend to appear a coupleof days later. Why it takes a day or two I don't know but we've seen it lots of times.

4. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We just discussed this with our doctor because it took my son about two weeks to get back to normal after a stomach bug. We had horrible lows, even cutting insulin way way back. She said that it was because it takes about that long for the lining of the stomach to build back up and so it can take that long for food to start digesting properly again. It makes sense, but it is sure frustrating to deal with. I hope the numbers go back up for you soon :)

5. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

We did a decreased temp basal yesterday evening which brought her into the 90s, but then she shot up again like she has done the previous two nights, though not as high. She topped out around 250 and it took 2 corrections to bring it down (first one didn't really touch it, she came down like 10 pts). Once she we got her down she stayed down and when she left for school she was hanging out at 73 after having cherrios and milk for breakfast with no insulin. I set a -10% temp basal for the school day and let her teacher know what was going on, so now we hope for the best!

6. shannong

shannong Approved members

I saw the same kind of pattern recently when my son had a stomach bug. It took about 2 weeks for his stomach to get back to normal and we saw lots of lows during the day, so had to cut back the basal and almost stopped any boluses for food. However, at night he would tend to spike. The reduction in basal during the day, seemed to call for more insulin at night.