- advertisement -

Weighing in on the G4 -- It's a must have device...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by maddiesdad, Jan 7, 2013.

1. maddiesdad

maddiesdad Approved members

We had the 7 and this G4 is like night and day. It is so accurate and the range is good enough that I can set it by my bed and get readings 2 bedrooms away. I no longer set middle of the night alarms for me to get up and check.

This is a life-changing device. My daughter was very skeptical due to bad reliability/experiences with the 7+ but even she has turned the corner on her thinking.

This thing absolute rocks and dare I say is nearly accurate enough to dose off of......

Absolutely amazing device. Absolutely night and day better versus the 7. We could not be happier with it!

2. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I totally agree with you! We never used the old Dex but my DD was on the mm cgms for over 5 years, and we basically used it for trends and ballpark numbers. But the numbers for the G4 are so much better for us, it is amazing to watch. The range and with that the ability for everybody to hear the alarms (which didn't happen with the mm) gives me such a peace of mind. So the G4 is for us a must have too! :cwds:

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

It really is that much better.

4. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Its our first cgm experience so I can't compare but it really is reliable. I have dosed for food off of it. Never a correction, but if it's been dead on all day and she's in range, I do go ahead and dose food without a fingerstick knowing that she's with me and I can watch. Not so much for meals when I usually calibrate, but 22g snacks and the like.

5. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

so far it's awesome. And b/c the transmitter sits "in" the sensor, it doens't need to be taped down. The mm seashell slid in sideways to the sensor so that the seashell was not attached to the tape at all. We had to tape the whole thing down. dd commented that it's the same tape as her pump site. I think she feels it's more like another site than a big taped up affair. We like.

6. denise3099

where it really helps is if you know she's good right now but dropping fast then you can dose for less, or if she's good but going up then you might dose sooner and wait a little to eat. Also, of course, you don't have to wait till the next meal to find out she's 200--you can know that and correct right away so by the time it's time to eat she will be in range. CGM is really an important device!! Once you get used to it you feel blind without it.

7. BittysMom

That's the stuff I need to learn. How to actually use it to her benefit with respect to BG'S. I've been trying to head off lows, but find that I'm over correcting for them. Things like that.

8. denise3099

You might find that at first--give it time. You already see you are overcorrecting so hang back a bit. You'll get the hang of what's "normal" for her. But if you see 70 you might give a gluc tab. But 70 with two down arrows you'll give 3 or 4 tabs right away. 80 with a down you'd treat maybe with a tab but 80 with 2 ups you woulnd't touch. You'll get the hang of it.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Our insurance just approved it for us, so I am crossing my fingers! I just hope that it does not bug Coco like MM's did. But since MM was made from gold, and she has a gold allergy, then hopefully it will not hurt her to wear it.

10. maddiesdad

maddiesdad Approved members

Example...this AM...

So I get up in the wee hours to go to work and could see she slowly, quite linearly dropped from 130-80 this am over the course of 5 hrs. That's 10 points an hour over a consistent basal. Given that she won't be up for 2-3 more hours, in the past I might have given her some juice at 80. This morning, I just temp'd her -75 for an hour knowing she'd go up 30-40 points by the time she got up.

When you see a 70 or an 80 and it's a flat line or slow decline, you have more time time act.

Also, though when you have IOB for a prior correction and say there's 1.5 hrs left and she's headed up over the last hour you can make decisions based on that.

It's also great for tweaking basals, especially at night.

Can't say enough about this one. If you had the 7 and hated it, do give the G4 a try!

11. BittysMom

I did almost the same exact thing this morning. She was 87 at 5am, 4 hours after a correction so I just did a -60 for 1 hour and went back to sleep knowing it would alarm again if she kept dropping. ( Arrow was sideways. ) She was 139 at 7am, so not too bad.

I'm learning that if she hasn't budged and it's been over an hour after a correction, and the arrow is still sideways, that she isn't going to move far if at all. That's been going on a lot around here lately unfortunately.

12. BittysMom

Yeah, I'll get there. I have to give more thought to iob in conjunction with the arrows I think. Plus what food she has eaten.