- advertisement -

Weekend-Triathlon and people who care

Discussion in 'Teens' started by s0ccerfreak, Jul 26, 2009.

1. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Last night when we were out to dinner somebody brought me the wrong drink. My dad said "this isn't diet." The waitress replied "it should be but if you say its not, I'm not going to argue with you." Then my dad tastes his and notices his is diet- they switched the order. I got a sprite and he got a diet coke. Instead of diet sprite and coke. Mom mentioned to our waitress that I have d and it could cause problems if I get the wrong drink so we need to make sure its the right thing. Our waitress explains that she had someone else get the drinks for her and she would talk to them. So later this other waitress comes over and apologizes for mixing up the drinks. It turns out she has a sister who has t1d and they think she may be developing d. So she knows how much of a problem that could have caused for me and said she felt very bad. Just goes to show you that some people do care.

I also did a Triathlon today for Children's Hospital. I finished 3rd in my group and had a way better time than last year :D
    bg was 277 before the swim. I would've liked it lower. While I was waiting to start we found a friend from JDRF- she was competing and her husband was there to support. A friend of my bros looked at my pump and said "aren't you going to unplug that?" I said "ya then mom will give to me on my way to t1." She then told me that her sister has had t1 since 14. She has a mm pump and cgms. That was a cool little connection to make with J's friend. I am not a big fan of swimming, definately my weakness. So after I swam, Mom handed me my pump while I was running up to get my bike. I love biking! The bike was pretty good other than being a bit windy (not that I can do anything about that). I had to avoid an ambulance on the way back in then on to the run. Apparently I ran out the run side of transition (oops) but the officials didn't see me so I didn't get a penalty. :rolleyes: So I test as I start to run and I'm 438! No wonder I feel so crummy. Quick bolus and basal increase and I continued on my way. I ran as best as I could and tried to drink some water. I finished strong and went straight to the water. My bg continued to climb (like 460's), small ketones, and I ended up throwing up (I told my brother cuz I didn't want my mom to freak). I changed my site and took a shot, but it took hours to get back down to normal. We stuck around for the awards ceremony because my middle brother's relay team got 3rd I got 3rd, and some of our friends placed as well. I love the triathlon atmosphere- everybody cheers for everybody. My bro's friends all cheer me on and wave to me. Our friends from JDRF cheered for me. All in all it was a good day. Next time it would be nice to avoid the 400's and sickness.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm sorry you got so high and sick. :( Sounds like a really great weekend otherwise, though! :D Shame D has to be a downer sometimes.

And it's great when you see someone who cares!

3. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Wow, good job Rae! Sorry about the crummy numbers though.
    Other than that sounds like you had a good time?
    I love it when people understand.

4. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

wow, great job!! I definetly couldn't do that. :) Sorry about the highs though. :(

5. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Aww sorry about the highs. Glad you ran into someone who cared, sometimes it makes me feel that it kicks D in the pancreas when someone understands.