- advertisement -

Wearable fitness tech and diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Aug 22, 2015.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

For the longest time, I have been hoping to find a better way to assess whether my son needs an overnight temp basal.

I am hoping that wearable tech like a FitBit can help. If anyone knows of a solution to what I am outlining below, please let me know.

I am looking for something that will help me predict a night of lows. Right now, we run a temp basal overnight if we think our son had a very active day. With advances in wearable technology like the FitBit, I am wondering if any of these devices monitor your activity and heart rate to the point where they give you an overall activity rating for the day. I'd love to get something on a numerical scale, such as "Today's activity level was 10." I realize it wouldn't be perfect, but it would help me determine whether we need to run a temp basal overnight. Likewise, if it said "Today's activity level was a 2," then I might have to increase the basal overnight.

What do you think?

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I don't know if it would help ? but with the Diasend (the Pump and Meter upload site) you can now also upload FitBit, Runkeeper, Moves App , Jawbone Up and Nike + to give a total overview of your day ... I think Medtronic is the only pump that doesn't use Diasend though.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  3. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I've never thought about using the fitbit type device for this purpose, but it is definitely interesting. My daughter does ballet & a lot of times, she may have been at rehearsal for 4 hours, but not every time are they continually working out. This would help tell how active they were.