- advertisement -

We were in the ER for stomach bug and the Dr. said...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by curediabetes14, Aug 16, 2010.

1. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

:mad:I had to take my daughter into the ER for a stomach bug Sunday morn. She could not keep anything down and we live an hour away from the hospital where her endo is. When we got there she had large ketones. First off they wanted to go by the ketones in her urine and not in her blood so I had to educate them on the difference. Then the doctor said that IV's would not really help with flushing the ketones. I thought what!!! I told him that I was not leaving until she could keep liquids down and her ketones came down. So they sent us to a waiting room. Did not even keep her in a room. Luckily the Zofran really helped and we were able to go home in a couple of hours.

How can an ER doctor at a well respected hospital be so uneducated about diabetes. I just feel like everytime I take her I have to educate them.

It is just so frustrating.:mad:

2. Denise

Denise Approved members

This is the exact reason why we'll be heading back to Riley's when Molly gets sick. :eek:

3. samheis

samheis Approved members

:mad:

That's how our first ER visit went last year. They told us to keep doing what we were doing. No IV's, just one quick blood sample, and they left us sitting there. I even had to go to the cafeteria myself to get some 7up cause he wouldn't stay above 70 for a few hours.

This is why I do absolutely everythiing I can at home now. But it's unfair that they make us feel that way, because it can turn dangerous so fast.

((((hugs)))) sorry they were so useless, hope she's doing better today~

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I suggest having your endo call the hospital you go to, even if it isn't your endo's hospital. I don't think them not knowing about blood ketone meters is unusual at all.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Welcome to the list of CWD'ers who have had nightmare experiences with ER docs.

Glad to hear things worked out ok.

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

A blood ketone meter isn't used in a hospital, but they can send a blood sample to the lab to be tested for them- which should definitely be done and isn't uncommon. Last time I was in the ER with stomach issues, awhile ago, luckily, they tested urine and blood for ketones. Usually the blood test is something like Serum Acetone.

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

We have always had to bring Steven to Childrens in Hartford for stomach bugs with ketones. Our endo told us to not bring him to our local hospital unless it was an absolute emergency because they wouldnt know what to do with a CWD:eek::rolleyes: Im sorry your daughter was so sick:( Hope she is feeling lots better today

8. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

We just changed pediatricians and she told us that if there is ever a risk of DKA that she does not admit here that she would send us to children's. After the problems we had here when Sloan had his tonisls out, I had already decided that on my own anyway. The pediatrician admitted that our local hospitals here just do not know enpugh about type 1. One of the hospitals in particular (the one Sloan just so happened to have his surgery at) she refuses to send her diabetes patients to no matter what. She said she had a bad experience there with one of her other patients before. It's sad...

9. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Ugh!!! Hope she is feeling better!
    I agree, many places don't know about blood ketones. Fine. So they don't know the level, but she was clearly showing she had large ketones and they didn't want to do anything??:eek::eek: Clearly below the standard of care and just not acceptable AT ALL!!
    I know that a parent on here had success in getting the hospital to foot the bill when they did not do what was necessary in a situation like this. If a parent knows this, surely someone with a MD should!! (we all know that that simply isn't true, unfortunately)

10. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Sorry your daughter got so sick. Just wondering, was it a children's hospital?

11. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Im sorry your daughter had to sit there and wait for her ketones to go away without an IV @@ Hospitals that dont educate their staff on how to take care of people can make themselves look pretty dumb! When Katerina had her last (ever, knock on wood) seizure, she was 7. She had a very hard recover from it, so I took her to the ER after the fact (knowing there was not much they could do, but it was a personal comfort). Anyway, they asked me what I gave her to bring her out of the seizure "since she couldn't possibly have swallowed anything." I said glucagon, which I whipped out of my bag. They said "gluca-what?"

no joke....... left me speechless.

12. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

It is not per say a children's hospital, but it is the closest thing we have. We live in a very rural area and our local hospital is more or less a first aid station. So I did not feel comfortable taking her there so we drove an hour to this hospital. They usually do really well. The last time we took her in for a stomach bug they admitted her and gave her iv's with no problem.

It just really scares me that if a real emegency such as DKA or problems from a low would they know what to do.

She is doing better. She came home from school this past Friday, the 13th and said mom it has definately been the 13th for me a boy throwed up next to me at school and it splattered on me. I thought to myself oh no what a way to start the school year.

Thanks for listening, and for the prayers only you guys understand.

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

That stinks! Did you get his name? Maybe you should let your Endo know so he/she can have a "Chat";)