- advertisement -

We made it.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Connor's Mom, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Well, we made it through our first international trip. Connor's BG's on the way there and for the first 3 days were amazing! Then...we changed the site and we battled highs for the rest of the trip. We moved the site, changed the cartridge and adjusted the basal, food and ISFs and he was still just high. We managed it pretty well but, I think that the insulin lost some of it's potency even though we used the Frio pack.

I have opened a new bottle now that we are home but, it is one that came with us on the trip unopened. He has another fresh site and new cartridge/tubing so, I have my fingers crossed.

Even with my letter from the Endo and from Animas, TSA still wanted to x-ray the pump and the loaner. We ended up waiting an extra 30 minutes at the security check points with each leg of the flight. The loaner made it through to the last leg of the flight before security in Washington insisted it be opened to be checked.

Over all a great trip and worth the major fatigue that is sure to follow now that we are home!:)

2. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Glad you had a good trip and thanks for sharing your experience here.

3. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Glad you had a great time! We are leaving for an international trip in September! I just got our frio pack in the mail. I hope it works to keep the insulin at a safe temp. :rolleyes:

4. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

The Frio pack seemed to keep the insulin cool. I wouldn't say refrigerator cold but, it wasn't warm or room temp by any means:)