- advertisement -

We have decided to go back to MDI

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emilyandkevsmom, Jan 27, 2012.

1. emilyandkevsmom

emilyandkevsmom Approved members

The last two weeks has been a nightmare dealing with Animas and my daughter's insurance company. To make a long story short she is not getting the number of supplies that her prescription is wrote for. No one can give me a definite answer why. Not even the insurance company. I have dealt with my fair share of rude animas reps, given wrong info by them and the insurance company, have been told they were sending samples and when I called back they were never sent. We are having to switch back and forth between MDI and the pump because we always run out. Also I have lost faith in their tech support dept. Sorry to bash animas this is not competely their fault but I cannot do this anymore. I have called her endo to try to get a pen, we have never used one but they may give her more freedom. Another deciding factor is that she is wearing a scoliosis back brace and I think it may be easier for her not to deal with that and the pump. Thanks for letting me vent! P.S. on a positve note the insurance company did cover the lost strips!

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Is your warrenty up? Can you switch over to MM or to a pod? Definitely get the pen, but if your warrenty is up, I'd call MM and get the ball rolling with them, or a pod if it's more convineint.

3. emilyandkevsmom

no we just got the ping around thanksgiving. I can just kick myself for staying with them after all the problems we had with the other pump.

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

So glad about the strips!
    We moved off the pump because the machine wasn't working for us, it's all right, MDI ain't so bad! :p
    Lack of confidence in Animas support also played a factor for us. :( Such is life.
    One note, Omnipod had a program to try to convert folks on other pumps, you can get the PDM and get started and with rebates it may be very low cost. Our insurance said if we paid the up front to switch to the Omnipod (which with the rebate program would have been, I believe, under $250) they didn't care if they were supplying us with pods or with Ping supplies (Pods are much more expensive, but they didn't seem to care). So maybe you could look into switching to the pod, which might also be a help with the brace.
    Good luck.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Animas is not the sole provider of their supplies. My son has gotten his supplies with Fifty 50 pharmacy. They seem to be quite competent. Any problems were resolved in a timely manner. I would give them a call before giving up on using an Animas pump. I can't get their address here, but you can google them.

6. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Same here, we use Express Scripts and they carry most of the Animas supplies as well. We still get our stuff from Animas though because we have always gotten good support from them - even recently.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Does your insurance have a mail order prescription company? Ours uses Medco and they carry all the supplies we need. It's also about $150 less an order on pump supplies. All orders arrive with in 5-7 days.

8. emilyandkevsmom

The endos office called me back and I got the super nice nurse. she stated they wld support whatever choice we made but asked that i speak with the local rep before going back to shots. she also said that she will research it on her end and see if there is something wrong with the way the script is written. I am definitely going to ask about the 3rd party supplier. i just reached my breaking point today lol i don't know what i wld do if i didn't have this board to vent on lol.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  9. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I don't know the local rep any longer, but Melissa who covers the Knoxville area used to be the rep here and she is AWESOME. I think I still have her number. PM me if you want it.

10. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Call your ins right now though and find out if they have a mail order pharm--you'll save a ton.

11. emilyandkevsmom

yelp, Melissa called me, she emailed animas and she said that they are working on it.I dont know if you have ever spoke with Cheryl at the endos office but she is great. I do want to stress that this is utimately an insurance problem but I have spent hours dealing with this. I have been doing this long enough to know it isn't easy but my goodness here lately it has been insane.

12. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Love Melissa!

Hang in there!