- advertisement -

We are in Orlando... Disney/Universal... high BGs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VinceysMom, Jul 5, 2012.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

We are not at FFL unfortunately. We spent three days in Orlando, and now we are at Universal. Vince's BGs just will not stay down. I wanted to seek your opinions first before I place call to endo...

He is on injections..Novolog. We have been using pen and vials. We have kept all the insulin cool. I have been going 1:12 for all meals (normal carb ratios are 1:6 brk, 1:8 lnch/dinnr) and Lantus is 26U at 6 pm.

We thought with all the walking around he would go low, not the case at all. He keeps going up. He was 218 when he woke up and we went to breakfast, we went 1:10 (instead of 1:12) and 2 hours later he is 265. He said, "am i going to die" he says this whenever he's high, he gets very nervous about the high's. ANYHOW, I did give him another correction, he totally insisted, so we will watch him and I will check him in another two hours... Kids are pooped and we will go over to the Parks much later today. Everyday his numbers are in 200's!

So every day it seems he is in the 200's. We have NOT lowered Lantus, and now I'm thinking maybe we should raise it? I know I am not exact on carbs, but his burger and fries last night wasnt too hard to judge... I'm stumped. I feel bad cause he feels like crud.... I guess I'm just venting. I should probalby change up the carb ratio's until we find one that works...

Any ideas, comments? Ugh, I just hate not knowing how to help him. I keepmaking him drink lots of water...:eek:

OH ya, the first dinner at Disney, we were so worried about keeping his insulin cool, we forgot to throw in the pen needles!!!! of course we noticed this AFTER he ate... so we ran to first aid to get a syringe! :p:eek: (that was his first, "am I going to die" phrase; the restuarant was ready to call medics, cause of course Mom was freaked out! :p:eek:

THanks everyone, talk about a stressful trip... this is our first with D.

Kathy

2. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I just posted about this a couple of days ago, we travel A LOT since none of our family is in town and we almost always end up with lots of highs. I would go back to his normal carb ratio ASAP, and then see if you need to make it even higher, 1:4 etc.

I've found with my DD that the excitement of traveling far outweighs any any activity she gets and makes her run high almost all the time. We have to be super aggressive.

We are MDI still and we haven't bothered changing Levemir, because it takes a few days for the changes to kick in, and by that time you'll be home and back to his normal routine most likely. Just be really aggressive with the Novolog and keep glucose on hand for any lows that might pop up.

3. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I think it would be better to return to the normal carb ratios. And if he runs on the lower side pull back on the Lantus.

4. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Since you changed his I:C ratios but all the walking isn't bringing him down like you thought it would, my first thought is that the I:C ratios should be moved closer to what you do at home. That will likely bring him back into range. Hopefully things will settle down quickly, so the rest of the trip will be more fun and less stressful!:)

Christine

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

it just very well could be the strange hotel/park foods and the added heat stress on his body. We find that even if we count carbs accurately while eating out, the added fat in restaurant food just does a number on him.

Nothing really to worry about - just keep on tweaking.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm not sure why you cut is breakfast dose in half... If he's waking high and then eating and not getting enough to cover breakfast then he stands a snowballs chance in Orlando of ever coming back into range at all.

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I echo what others have said...go back to his regular ratios...and if you see lows, then lower his lantus.

It's hard counting carbs when you are out, and I bet he is eating lots of things he doesn't eat on a normal day, so you may not even see lows from the extra activity due to higher fat meals.

Hope it all works out and that you have a great time!

8. VinceysMom

Since it is our first trip away with diabetes, and normally walking around at festivals at home drops hiim way low, we treated with insulin as tho it was one of those festivals he loves... but, I think we will drop back the carb ratios and see what happens.. just keep on checking.

Thanks all.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Sorry about this Kath:( I wanted you guys to have fun and I hope you are. Just remind Vince that he's not going to die from the high BGs and they wont even do any lasting harm;) I would keep tweaking the I:C ratios and maybe up the Lantus a bit. Any chance the Lantus got warm? Im sure with the excitement of the trip and the different foods as a PP suggested is causing most of this. And he's still growing so will keep having the issues of growth hormone effecting BGs

10. MyPumpkin

MyPumpkin Approved members

We had our first after dx trip to Disneyland this past March. We had changed his ratios too. I also was expecting his blood sugars to be low from all the walking. But we also had really high numbers. One day we went up into the 300's. (I freaked out about that number!) But then one night when I did a mid sleep check he had a low that needed juice. :confused:
    Like others said I would go back to your normal carb ratios. Good luck and have fun at Disneyworld! :)

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

We don't change anything when we travel or go to parks - we just check and treat lows if we see then and that's not very often. We have a CGM though ...

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

I totally understand your initial reason for changing the ratios. But since it's not working, I'd drop them back down. If he starts going low, you can always up them a little again. But as a PP said, we find with vacation food that our son tends to spike, even with the extra activity.

Hope you're having fun and remember this is another "first" that you now have under your diabetes-belt! :cwds:

13. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Also be sure he's staying hydrated. Dehydration won't help those highs.

14. VinceysMom

Damn diabetes.... at dinner he was 260+ .... went back to regular ratios, shot around 9 pm, he is 165 now, 3 hours later. I am just glad we dont have a 200_ as it really stresses him out. I'm sure by morning he will be over 200 again. Ugh. Another day here and I hope then things even out for us... we will be off to the beaches of Sanibel to finally relax! :) We did regular dinner ratio tonight of 1:8 for dinner... fries, chicken fingers and of course... chocolate ice cream for dessert! lol

Thanks for your comments ... I really do appreciate all.

Kathy

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We don't change ratios for Disney etc. I may lower basal rate some but you are more limited on that. I find with the food guessing, more high fat food that nighttime BGs would be horrible. I would have to bolus high numbers almost every night there.

16. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

We had a similar issue with my DD when we went to Cedar Point a few weeks ago. I was anticipating her to run low all day due to all the walking, but she stayed high all day. I chalked it up to all the excitement and adrenaline from the rides. She did finally crash after she went to bed.

17. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Are you doing regular boluses for this kind of food? We always have to combo bolus when we eat out (and even homemade burgers now). On MDI, we used Humalog and Regular (sometimes NPH) to deal with it, but even a couple of shots of Humalog would help.

18. coni

coni Approved members

Glad the BGs are starting to be closer to range. In addition to getting your insulin doses back to your regular amount, it is really, really important to drink LOTS of water in the heat. Being hydrated helps keep BGs lower. Also, even if the restaurant carb count is correct (based on what the restaurant says or what you use at home), it's not uncommon for the actual carb count to be up to 30% higher.

You've mentioned more than once that your son asked about dying and got distressed when his BGs were in the 200's or higher. I suggest (when you're not stressed on vacation) that you and your son address this concern. Of course it's preferable to be in range all the time, but it's not possible for most Type 1s. I don't want to make more out of your post than exists in reality, but I'd address the concern with the endo's office.

19. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Nothing new to add, just wanted to say that I hope things are better these past few days and you guys are able to enjoy your vacation! Thinking of you.

20. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

Have you checked for ketones? If his body is fighting off a cold or something he might be spilling ketones and the insulin might be going towards lowering the ketones as opposed to keeping the blood sugar down. Just a thought?