- advertisement -

We are going on the pump!!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MyPumpkin, Mar 7, 2014.

1. MyPumpkin

MyPumpkin Approved members

We have finally been able to get the pump! So excited. This has been something we have wanted since my son was first diagnosed but were unable to because of the financial aspect. Now with our new insurance we are able to swing it. We picked the animas ping. It just came yesterday. We have our first pump class on Wednesday and they said we will be starting out using saline then the next Monday we go back for our second training class and we get to start with the insulin then.
    Just wanted to share. So so so excited. :welcoming:

2. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

Congratulations, the Ping is what we have. You're going to love it!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Congrats!

Remember that some people find that infused saline stings a bit - this will not be the case with insulin. If it is uncomfortable you can always disconnect and bolus then reconnect.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  4. MyPumpkin

Good to know that the saline may sting. Thanks for the heads up.

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Congrats; my daughter and I are so jealous! :drool:

I've already spoken with my daughter's endo and told her that we want a pump NOW and have no patience to wait the standard (here in our area of the Pacific NW) 6 months from diagnosis for a pump. Health insurance be damned, I'll pay out of pocket and fight them to get reimbursed if necessary!

What led you to decide on the Animus Ping? Despite the myriad of problems, we're still favoring the Omnipod; my daughter is keen on going tubeless...

Best of luck to you, and let us know how it goes! :smile:

6. tannafis

tannafis New Member

Congrats! We just got approval to go on the pump too. My son was diagnosed almost one year ago.

We are excited and nervous at the same time. He is leaning towards the Omnipod because it is tubeless. I am trying to get him to look at a few others and compare. Would love to hear your thought on the Ping.

7. andiej

andiej Approved members

Congratulations. Exciting times for you all. We are in the process of getting a pump. Now we have decided we can't wait, despite some negativity surrounding it we have also opted for the Omnipod, I went to visit a friend last weekend whose daughter has had a couple of pumps and is currently using the Omnipod and loving it, it just seems the best fit for us. The DSN is sending us a sample Pod for Jack to try out, then they will apply for funding for us, it shouldn't be a problem as they recently added the Omnipod to their standard selection list. Though I suspect it will be around June we finally get it. Good luck with the Ping let us know how it goes for you.

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Congrats! Pumping has been a great experience for my kids. :)

9. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

YEAH! 4 years pumping here!

Congratlations - we love our pump. My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2 so we were on MDI for 6 months, but knew we wanted to go on a pump when the summer rolled around (my son was 3 at the time). My husband is a type one and was on a pump also, so we knew that was the route we wanted to take. To be honest, our ENDO (who is great by the way) was a little hesitant because they had not had such a young patient on a pump.

We were emphatic that this was what we wanted. I think the ENDO's office just wanted to be sure we were ready to undergo training and were vigilant about using the pump. It has been a great experience for us! My son just turned 7 - the same age as your son - and he can pretty much work the pump himself. Of course, he is still young so we oversee and double-check everything.

We went with a medtronic pump and have been very happy. We are approaching 4 years with the same pump and have had ZERO problems - knock on wood. I highly recommend the medtronic pump.

As a word of caution, begining the pump was a little frustrating at first because you are trying to get the basal and bolus settings correct. I remember that we had such high numbers at the beginning that I wanted to throw in the towel and thought we had better numbers on MDI. BUT - stick with it. Work with your ENDO to make adjustments on those basal and bolus settings to get things just right. Be patient is my advice.

My son wears a tubed pump in a pocket of his pants or in a tummitote that fits discreetly under the shirt. Look at those as some options if you don't go with the OMNIPOD. The tummitote is perfect when he plays baseball and basketball.

Good luck!

10. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

That is great!!!! I can't imagine life without a pump for my 12 year old....I think it will be life-changing for you. :) Here's to a great pump start for you!

11. MyPumpkin

Thanks everyone. :smile:
    We actually really wanted the omnipod too. The thought of not having any tubing was very attractive to my son. But once I started researching what our insurance would help pay for, the two that were in-network was the Medtronic and the Ping. Of those two we liked the Ping because of the remote. That way he can have it tucked away and will not have to pull it out to bolus, he can just do it on his remote. We are so excited to start, next Wednesday seems like forever to wait to get started. :p

12. bella07

bella07 New Member

I have heard a lot of great things about the pump! I do, however, find it ridiculous that children have to wait so long for what seems to be the best treatment. Why does it seem that not all insurance companies are not covering this or are taking so long to reimburse? Does anyone know if Medicaid covers this and what the wait is?

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Medicaid does cover pumps, except for Omnipod. My daughter is changing from Omnipod to the Tslim and that will be covered by Medicaid even though it is a newer pump on the market. Medicaid is different in every state, so your state may be slightly different.

14. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

My 8 yr old son has been on the ping for over a year and he loves it! Sports, swimming, etc... He can do everything with it! Good luck!! Im sure you will love it :)