- advertisement -

We are completely overhauling how we do snacks at our house

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrendaK, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Mom2Michael

Mom2Michael Approved members

What is IOB?

2. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I'm curious too. I tried something like this, briefly, *very* briefly.

Our kids would basically eat an entire dinner's worth of snacks as soon as they got home, because then they wouldn't ever have to eat anything they didn't absolutely love. He'd come home and eat 5 slices of bread and 5 slices of cheese and then be thrilled he didn't have to eat any of that nasty grownup food.

3. shekov

shekov Approved members

Insulin On Board = IOB

We try not to eat a whole bunch of snacks between meals so that her bg has time to get back down into range. This may be why your was getting at.

If I give dd cereal for breakfast at 8 then applesauce for a snack at 9 then crackers at 10:30 her bg would probably hang out in the 200s all morning.

I usually try to alternate carb and non carb snacks depending on her bg.

Hope that helps.

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I would definitely talk to you endo team about that. I think that especially with growing boys they often need to eat more than that. If your pump settings are set correctly, blood sugar shouldn't be going out of range too much, even with frequent snacking. Even with all of the massive and frequent snacking Carson does, his numbers remain in pretty good range (thanks largely to the CGMS!)

I think that in the long term, setting limits like "you can't eat 2 hours after meals" can be very psychologically damaging to a child and can backfire later into a rebellious teenager. This obviously isn't true for everyone, but I am really really careful with those aspects of our own diabetes care since my son has had it since he was a baby. He's only 9 1/2 and is coming up on his 10 year D anniversary in a few months.

5. BrendaK

That's why we're trying the food group system. If left to themselves, my kids would only eat foods out of the starch category all day. Bread, cereal, granola bars, etc..... :rolleyes:

Oh, and sugar is not one of the categories they get to choose from (no fruit snacks, cookies, etc.)

6. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

It sounds like someone's opinion may have been stated as a fact.:cwds:

Perhaps they were concerned about "stacking insulin". It's when a peak of insulin will run into another peak thus creating a time the peak is extended and the blood glucose could be lowering more than expected.
    If that is a concern, insulin can be reduced on the subsequent snacks or more carbs can be given to cover the stacked insulin effect.

I would speak with your diabetes care team and voice your concerns. For us, one of the huge benefits of pumping was to let Liv eat when she was hungry and to hopefully not have to force her to eat if she wasn't hungry.

7. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

That's true, but they'd still load up on stuff they like and ignore dinner anyway. Our kids are little food lawyers -- are those green things in ranch dip technically a vegetable? Are fruit roll-ups fruit?

8. Mom2Michael

Mom2Michael Approved members

This is exactly it!. Michael is very very active and as such usually hungry and by the time it's time for him to eat he tends to overeat. I'm due to call his numbers in this week and I'll definately bring it up. As with everything else I guess I have to listen to them, read as much as I can and use my mom instinct on what to finally do. ;)

9. ianmom

ianmom Approved members

Sounds like a great idea! I'm not sure when they grow out of the constant snacking thing! Both my boys seem to snack alot late afternoon through bedtime. They both eat their dinners, though. I don't (usually) have anything in the house the I wouldn't want them to eat for a snack, but I do encourage them to have an apple now or some carrot sticks...
    I have told my endo that Ian's dinner and bedtime numbers are probably always an hour or two at the most since he's last eaten!

10. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

Both of my boys always ask. So far in the past 9 months since Caleb's dx, he's only snuck candy once. And when I checked him after that, his bg was only 49. I told him that I will never get mad at him for eating, but he needs to let me know what he eats or if he's hungry to let me know. Living in a house with so many people, I make sure my boys don't eat without asking. Most often, I will at least help them get their snacks or breakfast (which they want to do on their own), mostly to avoid messes. My niece and nephew, who are younger, just rumage in the fridge and cupboards constantly and end up not putting food away right, which then ends up needing to be thrown out. I'm hoping that once we're established in our own home, my boys will feel the freedom to get snacks and start showing an interest in helping make meals.

11. diabetesgoddess

diabetesgoddess Approved members

My kids are pretty good about asking but within the past year or so they tend to eat as they want. My youngest (with D) asks a bit more on the quantity that he can have rather than the when). They are pretty good about not eating right before a meal and eat a tonne during meals as it is. The one thing it has done for us is that he will eat a night time snack when he wants (yes I know terrible habbit carried over from the NPH years). The upside to this is that it is no longer right before bed and easier to monitor than when he was younger and having it right before bed.

Good luck with the new system. Anything that saves your sanity can't be bad!!

12. BrendaK

Update

The new system is working so well! A WIN - WIN! We've been at this almost 2 weeks now and it's going really well. The kids love being able to get snacks whenever they want and love putting a little X on the chart. Veggies are usually the last choice, but they are always eaten. We had to tell Henry that 6 baby carrots counts for 1 veggie choice. Can't just take one bite and count it! I now have TIME to make meals because I'm not always making snacks! They are also doing great at cleaning up their own mess. Needed a couple reminders at first, but it's going smoothly now.

The other system we started at the same time was laundry. Each boy has their own laundry basket and has to bring it to the basement when it's more than 1/2 full. I wash everything (in one load in cold water) and put it back in their basket. Then they have to fold it and put it away. As long as they can watch TV and fold at the same time, they're fine! So far so good!

I think we as parents often underestimate our kids and responsibility. Kids may whine and throw a fit at first, but the really LIKE having their own responsibilities. Give them a lot of satisfaction.

13. BrendaK

Oh, I wanted to post some of their snack choices they've chosen:

Starch: Cereal, sandwich, granola bar

Protein: I taught them how to make a smoothie and this is their favorite. Also hard boiled egg, spoonful of peanut butter, lunchmeat and cheese roll

Fruit: easy -- apple, banana, orange

Veggie: carrots and cucumber slices